HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jan 8, 2023, 11:36 PM

Thanks for the information on Gustave Karpe, riichkay and odinthor....I was shocked by the kidnapping of li'l Louise. I'm glad she survived.

Judging by his watch fob and ring, it appears Mr. Karpe might have been in a fraternal organization.

detail

Complete cabinet card Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovens View Post
I'm not usually a fan of colorization but you did an excellent job, ovens. Thanks for sharing it with us.

The painted hutch registered with me for the first time. If I remember correctly, the three guys (on leave) were staying at a rather run-down hotel in Hollywood. .on. .um. .Highland Ave. (or was in Fairfax?)
I imagine the hotel painted the hutch to hide nicks and scratches and to spruce things up during wartime.

Does anyone remember the hotel? I can see it in my mind but I can't think of the name. I'm pretty sure it's still standing.

Yes, you can tell the hutch was painted in the black and white snapshot.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 8, 2023 at 11:53 PM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Thanks for the information on Gustave Karpe, riichkay and odinthor....I was shocked by the kidnapping of li'l Louise. I'm glad she survived.

Judging by his watch fob and ring, it appears Mr. Karpe might have been in a fraternal organization.

detail

Complete cabinet card Here

I'm not usually a fan of colorization but you did an excellent job, ovens. Thanks for sharing it with us.

The painted hutch registered with me for the first time. If I remember correctly, the three guys (on leave) were staying at a rather run-down hotel in Hollywood. .on. .um. .Highland Ave. (or was in Fairfax?)
I imagine the hotel painted the hutch to hide nicks and scratches and to spruce things up during wartime.

Does anyone remember the hotel? I can see it in my mind but I can't think of the name. I'm pretty sure it's still standing.

Yes, you can tell the hutch was painted in the black and white snapshot.

The man on the right seems to be wearing a glove or mitten on his left hand. Perhaps to protect a burn or other injury on that hand? Maybe even a combat wound? There could be a story there.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 7:17 PM
BANNED

I just noticed an anomaly in LA's architectural history that I hope some history buff here can explain

The 13 story Braly Building was LA's first tall building but after it was completed in 1903 for some reason the city imposed a height limit of 150ft which remained until the 1950's however that height limit was ignored as many buildings eclipsed the Braley Building in the following years culminating in City Hall ironically dwarfing all other buildings when it was built in 1928

My questions are this, why was there a height limit and why was it ignored?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 8:10 PM

Quote:

Does anyone remember the hotel? I can see it in my mind but I can't think of the name. I'm pretty sure it's still standing. .

Quote:
Here's a rare look inside one of the rooms in the old Wilcox Hotel in Hollywood. (Sept. 4, 1942)

[...]

The Wilcox Hotel around the time of their visit.

historicconsultants

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 10:52 PM

That's it! Thanks Martin Pal.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 1:48 AM

Came across this matchcover on eBay today and... there were THREE Batman themed strip clubs in Los Angeles?!
Batman A Go-Go
21516 Sherman Way
Canoga Park

@droog811 / Twitter
https://twitter.com/droog811/status/...676864/photo/1

ebay
Twitter user @@anastasicamille dates this photo to the 90s. It was there for 30 years??

https://twitter.com/droog811/status/1358140425840676864
It's STILL a strip club called "Godfather"

GSV
Bat Cave
5521 Sunset Blvd., Hollywood

News From Me
https://www.newsfromme.com/2022/12/3...mic-strippers/
Bat Man Lounge
11220 Vanowen, North Hollywood

News From Me
https://www.newsfromme.com/2022/12/3...mic-strippers/
This was later
Boo-Ga-Loo beer bar (LAT6.18.69)
BONUS
Wayne Manor
Sunnyvale, CA

http://www.chickenonaunicycle.com/Wa...0Sunnyvale.htm

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snix View Post
Came across this matchcover on eBay today and... there were THREE Batman themed strip clubs in Los Angeles?!
Batman A Go-Go
21516 Sherman Way
Canoga Park

@droog811 / Twitter
[...]

Would this even be allowed nowadays? Copyright infringement and such?
Quite the find!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 8:47 PM

Here's an amazing photograph listed on eBay

"Fire Boat # 1 San Pedro California Dock Lumber Yard Los Angeles Fire Department."

eBay

. . .and slightly larger.

"The Circa 1919 is in good to vg as seen condition. It came from a 1915 to 1920 photo album from the Southern California area that I will be listing others from. They are 2 1/2” X 4 1/4”. I’m certain this is fire boat number one in San Pedro I’ve done the research I found a similar photos for 1919 from the LA fire department located there showing this same fire boat but this must of been right after it was launched because there is no lettering on it yet. You could find this LA fire boat real easy using the info below."

There are so many interesting things to look at I don't know where to begin.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 8:55 PM

There is more!

"Fire Boat No. 1 was commissioned August 1, 1919. It was purchased for $33,000 and is all wood construction, 65' long, 17.7' beam, 39.65 gross tons with a 400 gallon fuel capacity. Powered by a 275 H.P. Hall Scott Invader for propulsion and 2 275 H.P. Hall Scott Invaders each driving a 4 stage pump rated at 1000 G.P.M. for a total pumping capacity of 2000 G.P.M. Generator, DC-5KW-125V. Carries breathing apparatus, forcible entry tools, Foam generator and powder, a bank of six 50 lb. CO-2 cylinders, flood lights, and a siphon ejector. Fire Boat No. 1 was originally stationed at the foot of First Street in San Pedro. On May 2, 1927 Boat 1 was moved to Berth 260, Fish Harbor, Terminal Island.. In 1965 Fire Boat was re-christened the Archibald J. Eley."

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 11, 2023 at 8:09 PM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 10:31 PM

As to the building up on the hill, I've made a bit of a dog's breakfast in putting together some info:

San Pedro Bay, by John McKinzie, 2005, p. 97

The actual text/pictures from the page were not available, just the little excerpt from the search as given

from article in the Daily Breeze, 9/6/2017

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 5:38 PM

Quote:
mystery location. . .

As you can see it was quite popular on eBay.

I don't know if this was taken while on location for one of those 1960s beach movies or if they're preparing for a fashion shoot of some kind.

If I had to guess I'd say this is somewhere. .um. .north of Malibu. ...(my Sherlock bona-fides) lol

So which one of these lovely ladies Bunny Yeager?

The culvert reminds me of the scene in Chinatown where the bad hombres manipulate the water supply by releasing fresh water into the ocean.

Touching up another one.... these are pretty fun to do.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 7:17 PM

That streetlight looks really modern, like an LED fixture.

Hehe the one is carrying a makeup case like my mom used to have.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 8:25 PM

Another impressive colarization, ovens. It actually looks clearer than the black & white photograph...Color me impressed.

I believe that's Malibu in the distance but I don't believe we ever figured out the exact location where the lovely ladies have gathered. I wonder why they ended up at the culvert. It reminds me of the scene in Chinatown where the 'surplus' water is gushing into the ocean. Could this be the same culvert?

#googles "chinatown culvert" comes up with nothing#

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 8:33 PM

Thanks for the additional information, odinthor. I didn't want to admit that I was baffled by the elaborate building on the hill.

So Hotel Clarence it is!

UCLA Digital Archive

The view from the terrace must have been wonderful. Not to mention the view from the cupola.

Thanks again, odinthor.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 11, 2023 at 8:49 PM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 5:43 AM

I need some help in deciphering a mystery location.

I was watching TCM earlier today and they showed a short film from 1941 titled 'Coffin on Wheels'. The location of the pivotal crash scene has really piqued my interest.
I believe it's two different locations spliced together. . .of course I could be wrong. (it happens)

The accident sequence begins. (12:24)

Lots of clues here. Note the multiple garages on the left.

Then the film inexplicably cuts to this. . .

. .which looks completely rural. (but the garages might be just out of site on the right)

Surprisingly, we see this next. . .

. . .which I believe is Westwood.

Next, the car load of kids come barreling down the road out of control due to faulty brakes.

HEEEEEEELP!

Next, we see the truck in image #3 turn the corner.

Next, we see this view from the car barreling down the road.

LOOK OUT!

SCReeeeeeeech!!

Note the line of garages again.

The aftermath.

Kids strewn about.

Next, the ambulance arrives and parks.

The ambulance leaves. This is the last scene in the crash sequence.

I would especially like to know where the rather steep road with the line of garages is located.

Here's the film if you'd like to see the crash in motion. As I said earlier the sequence begins at 12:24. (the whole film is worth watching)

Video Link

Help me out here, minions!

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 12, 2023 at 6:09 AM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 7:03 AM

The steep road is Weyburn Place in Westwood, which was still rural-ish in 1941.

(GSV, hosted by me)

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 6:06 PM

"Are You Going to Los Angeles?" (1912, Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce)

Period Paper
https://www.periodpaper.com/products...1793311d&_ss=r

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 6:58 PM

Quote:
20,000 miners inches
I had to look that up! Would an average someone reading a notice in 1912 from the Chamber of Commerce about the city know what that meant?
___

From Wikipedia: The miner's inch is a unit of flow in terms of volume per unit time, usually in relation to the flow of water. The definition of a miner's inch varies by location.

The miner's inch is a method of measuring the amount of flow a particular water supply system is capable of supplying. The miner’s inch measures the amount of water that would flow through a slot of a given area at a given pressure. In miner's inch the word inch refers to the area of the slot in square inches, while in the pressure in inches of water it refers to the height of water above the slot. A variable-width slot can be used to modify the flow rate.

Historically, the unit lacked a firm definition or equivalent measurement, and varied by location, leading to confusion within the mining industry. In 1905, its usage in California was standardized.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 7:36 PM

Re: Westside Snow Days, plus 1238-1248 Havenhurst Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
One reason I'm interested is that of all the snow related photos we've seen on NLA, I haven't seen any on the Westside like
Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, West Hollywood... We've seen them in Hollywood (La Brea, Hollywood & Vine), and the
downtown environs, the Cahuenga Pass and across the valley area.
https://100.ucla.edu/timeline/a-snow-day-to-remember
1932 was an awesome snow experience, it seems. Apologies for catching up while so behind in my reading.

edit: page later and a dollar short, and plenty of snow pictures follow way back in 2017's pages.

as an apology photograph, here's one that I took the other day, post tree-scalping and torrential rains, of a great decaying 1922 "masterpiece" from West Hollywood's Crescent Heights' 1905 Hays and Norton subdivision. The first two-story apartment building on Havenhurst south of Fountain. 1238-1240 Havenhurst Drive.

Once home to Flash Gordon-era Buster Crabbe, MGM's long-time publicist/fixer Howard Strickling (noir figure in his own right), and later Mrs. Potato Head and Seinfeld's Estelle Harris. One of several kinds of this apartment design spread across the Garden of Allah region. Does anyone have more information? Builder, designer, history? We've had three recent deaths on property, though no ghosts that we know of (yet).

As seen in Life:

As seen in 2023:

I can show more details if interest exists.

Last edited by 1612havenhurstdrive; Jan 13, 2023 at 6:39 AM. Reason: I read on, and found stuff covered in snow. also put quotes around masterpiece as i was being sarcastic over benign neglect.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 5:09 PM

Well I'll be... I used to be acquainted with someone who lived in that building, for 10-12-15 (?) years, before they relocated. (1238 1/2 address; the second apartment in from the street, on the right.) I recall him saying Estelle Harris lived there. And that Keanu Reeves visited someone who lived there for a time. Didn't know about the other famous residents. Yes, one of the only apartment buildings that I've known where the apartments have two floors. In this photo I notice a TV antenna; are those still in use? I may have noticed it as I noticed one on my apartment building this past week and I wondered why it wouldn't have been removed long ago. I'd be interested in "more details."

Last edited by Martin Pal; Jan 13, 2023 at 5:25 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos