Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00
We didn't have rates like this in 2016.
I don't understand where people think the money will come from when buyers just don't qualify for mortgages that high.
I'll concede that some of this is a function of how long rates are held this high. Maybe if banks are back to 3% mortgages by year end, we'll drift down to 2019/2020 prices. But if mortgages are close to 5% for another 2 years, I don't get where the headroom to bid 2020 prices will come from. I'm genuinely curious on how you see the math here.
Also, with this kind of lending costs, there will be some inventory freed up. The short term rental crowd isn't going to be able to hold on at these rates. A lot of that inventory will be back on the long term rental market or on the resale market.
|
I'm not saying housing will stay affordable - just that we will see a huge affordability crunch were most new homebuyers are pushed out of the market entirely. Population growth, a lack of new inventory as a result of reduced completions, and rapidly increasing salaries will fill the gaps.
My entire theory hinges on population growth back-stopping price drops as housing affordability seriously erodes. It's not a fun thing, but until construction costs can equalize with what people can actually afford, it's what will happen. Either construction costs drop, or demand runs up pricing until new supply pencils again.
It's this massive housing affordability crunch causing me to believe that rates won't stay elevated for long. Consumer demand will plummet as people shift to spending insane amounts of their income on housing, quickly dropping inflation back to expectations. We'll have to see though of course, my guess is as good as anyones.