Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive
|
I call this a win! I know there's a difference between saying something and actually doing it, but I'd rather that people at least be talking about the issue and acknowledging it than saying absolutely nothing about it.
On a related note: something I found out recently and am surprised that there isn't more conversation on (at least on this board) is that the City of Denver recently passed a law requiring all landlords to get a license and an inspection before they can have tenants. Because the City messed up the licensing process and only has a limited number of inspectors, and also because they did a very bad job of giving notice to everyone of the new law, only about 8% of landlords are in compliance. What do folks make of that?
I think this is just going to hurt the City. Not least of all, the City only has a limited number of inspectors, so it's like they're adding one more completely unnecessary bottleneck to the supply of housing. Moreover, this is a financial penalty that disproportionately punishes small landlords but hardly affects the bigger corporate landlords. If the City can just arbitrarily declare 90% of rental housing illegal, then that can't be good for housing stability or affordability.