Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper
I'm not sure what muscular majesty infers.
|
Look at the bold, powerful symmetry of Grant Park, how city leaders carved it into the firmament against the will of industrial magnates as a gesture of civic spirit in what was the most mercantile patch of real estate on earth in the 19th century.
Look at the Merchandise Mart, the largest building in the world when it opened. That's muscular. That's not a whispy ethereal glass condo built for thirty-somethings mining likes on TikTok.
[Edit] Look at how the
Sears Tower John Hancock Center takes up a whole city block, standing there like a lion contemptuous of those who fear him. I'm getting poetic here. Do any skyscrapers in Toronto take up a whole city block? No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper
The world's imgination? I find this a North American centric inflation. I never found Chicago global tourist stature higher than Toronto. It has more competition.
|
Chicago has more than twice the GDP of Toronto.
It has four stock markets that dwarf the value of Toronto's single stock market (edit: this is not correct). It was a massive culture incubator in the twentieth century. It has featured in hundreds, if not thousands, of movies and TV shows (i.e. it never pretends to be anywhere else). Michael Jordan, still the most well-known athlete worldwide, played there and is associated with Chicago. Electric blues music that spawned rock'n'roll and went around the world started there. I could go on. You literally cannot overstate Chicago's stature worldwide.
Does it get lots of international tourists? Undoubtedly not, though even so, I can't imagine why any international tourist would choose Toronto over Chicago for a week if the goal was to experience an interesting city.
I say all this as a Toronto fan-boy. I actually don't much like Chicago's midrise residential housing surrounding the loop and on the northside, even if I admit that Toronto's downtown residential stock doesn't hold a candle to it. I can wax lyrical about Toronto's charms all day. But I think we're still decades away from Toronto's qualitative precedence over Chicago in the popular imagination.
(I finished my work early and am now procrastinating for the rest of the day/evening).