HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #16581  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 8:03 PM
Truenorth00 Truenorth00 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 29,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
In the end, I think that somebody who grows up and lives in Brampton or Markham has more in common with somebody from downtown Toronto than somebody in Conception Bay South or Repentigny or even Sherwood Park, AB.
Disagree. The local culture and zeitgeist maybe a little different. The basic lifestyle? Very much the same. All places where you're far from the core of the metro and live a highly auto dependent lifestyle punctuated by trips to Costco and Smart Centres. If this is controversial, just look at politics, where urban centres across the country vote the same way, as do suburbs and exurbs. These are all groups of people that perceive their interests the same way, separated by huge distances. That's highly unlikely to happen randomly.
     
     
  #16582  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 8:18 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Disagree. The local culture and zeitgeist maybe a little different. The basic lifestyle? Very much the same. All places where you're far from the core of the metro and live a highly auto dependent lifestyle punctuated by trips to Costco and Smart Centres. If this is controversial, just look at politics, where urban centres across the country vote the same way, as do suburbs and exurbs. These are all groups of people that perceive their interests the same way, separated by huge distances. That's highly unlikely to happen randomly.
I'm in-between you two. I definitely do believe suburbia makes it much harder to have a unique lifestyle, be self-fulfilled, raise interesting kids, etc. You're pretty much confined to a (to me, soul-sucking) existence of driving from work to home to extracurricular activities. Anything more than that requires some significant planning, compared to just throwing open the front door and having a city at your doorstep.

Your kid is functionally a child until they can get their own driving license, and that certainly stunts them compared to urban kids who are on the go as young as their parents allow. There are kids I doubt are even in school who walk a few blocks in my neighbourhood to the park behind my house alone. They see all the same crackhouses and all that I do. But it's socialization. Raising kids in suburbia is the social development equivalent, to me, of sanitizing everything they come handy to, and ending up with a child who is always sick because they've built up no exposure or immunity.

But there is a difference between being 30 minutes from Toronto and 30 minutes from St. John's. A kid in Mississauga is going to be immeasurably more worldly to start, more consciously anti-racist (or racist, I guess, could go either way but they're not going to be as inexperienced as kids here), on and on.

I just think living and/or growing up in urban or rural areas is better for all involved, and suburbia stunts too much experience and enjoyment to be worth it.
     
     
  #16583  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 8:21 PM
Wigs's Avatar
Wigs Wigs is offline
Great White North
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Niagara Region
Posts: 16,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Sooooo what's your pick for best patty? Or your dad's?

I say this because literally everybody growing up in Toronto has at some point commuted with nothing but $1-2 in their pocket and a TTC token or pass. It's one of those unique experiences that separate the urban from the suburban.
I'm not sure I follow your metric? I can only justify knowledge of Toronto by some metric you made up? My Pops would say "some internet guy from Scarborough is questioning my Torontonian-ness?"

     
     
  #16584  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 8:48 PM
yaletown_fella yaletown_fella is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,423
Rent prices in Toronto have increased 8.5% since last year.

In addition to the supply/red tape/development charge problems we've discussed at length, I would place a lot of the blame on overleveraged mortgagers passing along the sins of their bloated mortgages to renters.

I'm not a fan of government intervention but if the government were ever able to intervene and make a positive difference, it would be to double or triple the mandatory minimum down payment %. This would do a beautiful job of helping to destroy demand and — the bubble.

If down payment requirements were exponentially higher, then renters wouldnt be getting punished with such extreme rent inflation because the carrying costs wouldnt be as high (which are inevtiably passed from the homeowner to renter in the form of our current extortionately high rents)

It's pure extortion for a 1 bedroom basement apartment in Toronto to be going for $2000 a month. Financially responsible renters who've never missed payments, shouldnt have to be liable for the sins of the greedy amateur small-time investor/homeowner.
     
     
  #16585  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 8:48 PM
theman23's Avatar
theman23 theman23 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ville de Québec
Posts: 6,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
I'm not sure I follow your metric? I can only justify knowledge of Toronto by some metric you made up? My Pops would say "some internet guy from Scarborough is questioning my Torontonian-ness?"

On that note, the other thing to consider is that the woman in the article may well have grown up in Etobicoke or Scarborough(or even real Toronto) and only moved out to Square One as an adult for economic reasons (rent is cheaper out there than downtown Toronto). In fact, I'd bet on that being the case. She's far more a real "Torontonian" than a guy who moved to Niagara or even say, Ottawa.
     
     
  #16586  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 8:52 PM
swimmer_spe swimmer_spe is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 10,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
Rent prices in Toronto have increased 8.5% since last year.

In addition to the supply/red tape/development charge problems we've discussed at length, I would place a lot of the blame on overleveraged mortgagers passing along the sins of their bloated mortgages to renters.

I'm not a fan of government intervention but if the government were ever able to intervene and make a positive difference, it would be to double or triple the mandatory minimum down payment %. This would do a beautiful job of helping to destroy demand and — the bubble.

It's pure extortion for a 1 bedroom basement apartment in Toronto to be going for $2000 a month. Financially responsible renters who've never missed payments, shouldnt have to be liable for the sins of the greedy amateur small-time investor/homeowner.
The problem is, that won't fix the existing problem as no one needs to requailify at that.
     
     
  #16587  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 8:57 PM
yaletown_fella yaletown_fella is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
The problem is, that won't fix the existing problem as no one needs to requailify at that.
I see what you mean, but this policy I suggested should help compliment the supply increase of new Greenbelt/Brownbelt development that the PC party (fingers crossed) pass in the 905. The problem is yuppie type families who used to buy in the 905 are competing with everyone else and buying up homes in Toronto proper. Then they are passing their low D/P / bloated mortgage costs along to the working person/family who's renting the basement etc.

People are programmed to think that suburban development is inherently anti urban, when in reality more suburban SFH supply will ease prices/greenbelts' artificial scarcity effect on condos and urban dwellings/new development. Abolishing the CMHC taxpayer underwritting of mortgages is another critical move , if the government wants to move beyond virtue signalling over the affordability crisis and take real action.

Last edited by yaletown_fella; Dec 15, 2022 at 9:08 PM.
     
     
  #16588  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 9:11 PM
swimmer_spe swimmer_spe is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 10,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
I see what you mean, but this policy I suggested should help compliment the supply increase of new Greenbelt/Brownbelt development that the PC party (fingers crossed) pass in the 905. The problem is yuppie type families who used to buy in the 905 are competing with everyone else and buying up homes in Toronto proper. Then they are passing their low D/P / bloated mortgage costs along to the working person/family who's renting the basement etc.

People are programmed to think that suburban development is inherently anti urban, when in reality more suburban SFH supply will ease prices/greenbelts' artificial scarcity effect on condos and urban dwellings/new development. Abolishing the CMHC taxpayer underwritting of mortgages is another critical move , if the government wants to move beyond virtue signalling over the affordability crisis and take real action.
What you would be doing is forcing people into those high rent places because they cannot qualify for a mortgage.
     
     
  #16589  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 9:14 PM
yaletown_fella yaletown_fella is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,423
Rents would ease along with prices as demand for mortgages is squashed.

Millions would be living with their parents as opposed to over-leveraging themselves.
     
     
  #16590  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 9:16 PM
swimmer_spe swimmer_spe is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 10,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
Rents would ease along with prices as demand for mortgages is squashed.

Millions would be living with their parents as opposed to over-leveraging themselves.
Cool... so How can I live with my parents in Ontario when I joined the navy that was based out of Halifax and Victoria?
     
     
  #16591  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 9:34 PM
yaletown_fella yaletown_fella is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,423
It's obviously not applicable to everyones situation, but as a renter you will benefit from overall cooling demand.
     
     
  #16592  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 9:37 PM
Wigs's Avatar
Wigs Wigs is offline
Great White North
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Niagara Region
Posts: 16,684
Truenorth, my Dad fails your "patty test" because the wave of Jamaican/Caribbean immigration to Canada/Toronto/GTA didn't get going until my Dad had already left unfortunately.

People can say he's not Torontonian anymore, but try telling a native Manhattanite that moved away after university he's no longer a New Yorker

You'll get a "Fawk owf"
     
     
  #16593  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 9:57 PM
rousseau's Avatar
rousseau rousseau is offline
Registered Drug User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 8,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
On that note, the other thing to consider is that the woman in the article may well have grown up in Etobicoke or Scarborough(or even real Toronto) and only moved out to Square One as an adult for economic reasons (rent is cheaper out there than downtown Toronto).
Wait a minute: a black person in the GTA is far more likely to have grown up outside of the city of Toronto than in it.
     
     
  #16594  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 9:57 PM
yaletown_fella yaletown_fella is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,423
If the BOC is so dead set on maintaining 2% inflation , then why can't the target for next year be negative 4.9% to make up for the 6.9% inflation and destruction of our savings and purchasing power we had to put up with this year ?

G-d forbid, we actually change the target to 0%. How horrifying. But that will never happen because the BOC is beholden to government debt/spending and the real estate lobby. It's not a truly independent entity like people love to claim. It's also why we will never see real positive rates.
     
     
  #16595  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 9:59 PM
Wigs's Avatar
Wigs Wigs is offline
Great White North
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Niagara Region
Posts: 16,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
Downtown Leduc is more like Port Credit. But she probably bought a — new grey and beige shack above a garage on the SE side of town. Overall, Mississauga reminds me more of Calgary than Edmonton. Airdrie would've been a better fit.

She'll end up in Cambridge or Brantford, married to a blue collar dude lol.
Ouch. Harsh, dude.
     
     
  #16596  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 10:01 PM
yaletown_fella yaletown_fella is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,423
Blue-grey stucco with dark grey window trim, picture windows, and cheap laminate 'wood' garages is one of the worst recent "looks"
     
     
  #16597  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 10:01 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is online now
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Disagree. The local culture and zeitgeist maybe a little different. The basic lifestyle? Very much the same. All places where you're far from the core of the metro and live a highly auto dependent lifestyle punctuated by trips to Costco and Smart Centres. If this is controversial, just look at politics, where urban centres across the country vote the same way, as do suburbs and exurbs. These are all groups of people that perceive their interests the same way, separated by huge distances. That's highly unlikely to happen randomly.
I'd love to live in the inner city but simply can't afford to. Even less so now with 2 kids. My riding consistently votes conservative but I certainly don't. There are trends, but to tar everyone living in a suburb the same way is kind of offensive. Sharing a neighbourhood does not make me the same as, say, some redneck with a $60k lifted pickup truck whose hobbies include quadding and drinking liberal tears with their Tim Horton's double double.
     
     
  #16598  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 10:05 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is online now
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I'm in-between you two. I definitely do believe suburbia makes it much harder to have a unique lifestyle, be self-fulfilled, raise interesting kids, etc. You're pretty much confined to a (to me, soul-sucking) existence of driving from work to home to extracurricular activities. Anything more than that requires some significant planning, compared to just throwing open the front door and having a city at your doorstep.

Your kid is functionally a child until they can get their own driving license, and that certainly stunts them compared to urban kids who are on the go as young as their parents allow. There are kids I doubt are even in school who walk a few blocks in my neighbourhood to the park behind my house alone. They see all the same crackhouses and all that I do. But it's socialization. Raising kids in suburbia is the social development equivalent, to me, of sanitizing everything they come handy to, and ending up with a child who is always sick because they've built up no exposure or immunity.

But there is a difference between being 30 minutes from Toronto and 30 minutes from St. John's. A kid in Mississauga is going to be immeasurably more worldly to start, more consciously anti-racist (or racist, I guess, could go either way but they're not going to be as inexperienced as kids here), on and on.

I just think living and/or growing up in urban or rural areas is better for all involved, and suburbia stunts too much experience and enjoyment to be worth it.
I grew up in suburbia. So did most of us I'd wager. Was it boring? Sometimes. But I think I took for granted the massive yard we had and the natural parks that were nearby. I don't consider myself to be a boring, anesthetized human because of where I grew up.
     
     
  #16599  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 10:07 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I grew up in suburbia. So did most of us I'd wager. Was it boring? Sometimes. But I think I took for granted the massive yard we had and the natural parks that were nearby. I don't consider myself to be a boring, anesthetized human because of where I grew up.
Well, that's how I see you.

(Hahaha, kidding) lol
     
     
  #16600  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 10:13 PM
Harrison's Avatar
Harrison Harrison is offline
A Better Place
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Calgary’s got one right on Stephen Ave DT.
And Edmonton has one right on Jasper adjacent to the Downtown core.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:07 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.