HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #7161  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 6:31 PM
YOWflier's Avatar
YOWflier YOWflier is offline
Melissa: fabulous.
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: YOW/CYOW/CUUP
Posts: 3,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
Do you think people will actually choose a vacation based solely on the availability of a direct flight?
Perhaps not solely but it’s a big factor. Price is also a huge factor; Ottawans have shown this time and again by choosing to hit the highway or take a connecting flight even when nonstop options were available (LAS is a perfect example of this…tried multiple times).

I’m an example of someone who’s being influenced heavily by nonstop options as we speak. Would like to visit an all inclusive in Costa Rica (example) but would sooner take a nonstop to Jamaica (nonstop on WS to MBJ) or other destination served nonstop. Having little children is also a big input into the decision.
     
     
  #7162  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 7:12 PM
Tesladom Tesladom is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
Do you think people will actually choose a vacation based solely on the availability of a direct flight?

For instance, would someone choose Winnipeg over Las Vegas just because
I think you are just trying to be silly here. Obviously if I can fly direct out of Montreal I will drive there and avoid the connection hassle, especially for vacation destinations.
If I want to fly to Rome, of course I will drive to Montreal and take a direct flight. It's not like I chose Winnipeg over Rome (silly argument)
     
     
  #7163  
Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 12:44 AM
fanofYOW fanofYOW is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyYOW View Post
Perhaps not solely but it’s a big factor. Price is also a huge factor; Ottawans have shown this time and again by choosing to hit the highway or take a connecting flight even when nonstop options were available (LAS is a perfect example of this…tried multiple times).

I’m an example of someone who’s being influenced heavily by nonstop options as we speak. Would like to visit an all inclusive in Costa Rica (example) but would sooner take a nonstop to Jamaica (nonstop on WS to MBJ) or other destination served nonstop. Having little children is also a big input into the decision.
I agree with you completely. I too am very heavily influenced by direct options. I would choose something that is served by YOW before anything when deciding where to vacation. If I do have to connect, I will start my journey at YOW and connect once. A destination that needs more than one connection is out of the question for me and I will always start in YOW.

In terms of LAS being brought up, imo Porter will be that airline to start it. Actually, I suspect Porter to be the only airline to start select routes from YOW. It would be entertaining to watch the other airlines scramble after Porter steals some revenue at YOW. My loyalty will always go to carriers that consider us important instead of a mere feeder city.
     
     
  #7164  
Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 2:17 AM
YOWetal YOWetal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,743
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyYOW View Post
Perhaps not solely but it’s a big factor. Price is also a huge factor; Ottawans have shown this time and again by choosing to hit the highway or take a connecting flight even when nonstop options were available (LAS is a perfect example of this…tried multiple times).

I’m an example of someone who’s being influenced heavily by nonstop options as we speak. Would like to visit an all inclusive in Costa Rica (example) but would sooner take a nonstop to Jamaica (nonstop on WS to MBJ) or other destination served nonstop. Having little children is also a big input into the decision.
For sure. My read of the original Poeter plan was to make Ottawa a bit of a hub and funnel their east coast and maybe even Toronto Island flights into direct flights thst compete on price. This seemed Iike a risk but possibly better than trying to compete at YYZ orphaning their YTZ flights at a time when Air Canada has abandoned the triangle routes so upping that frequency as business travel returns could be profitable.
     
     
  #7165  
Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 2:39 AM
AuxTown's Avatar
AuxTown AuxTown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 4,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
Do you think people will actually choose a vacation based solely on the availability of a direct flight?

For instance, would someone choose Winnipeg over Las Vegas just because Ottawa has several direct flights to Winnipeg? Uhm...I'm not too sure on that.

Now, IMO the trick is to get people to pay a slight premium for a direct flight (no hassle at Pearson!) and have someone step up to serve that demand. It looks to be Porter at this juncture for such a concept.
That's a bit of an unfair example, of course. I definitely have chosen my trips down south based on direct flights or not (Jamaica/Cuba/DR/Cancun from Ottawa primarily). This was particularly the case when my kids were younger. Multiply the hassle and annoyance by 10 for each kid under 4 you are travelling with!
     
     
  #7166  
Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 3:23 PM
Dominion301 Dominion301 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofYOW View Post
You’re right, and Florida too even thought it’s seasonal. Hopefully we get destinations that are a bit further and to the West
As far as Florida goes, Flair again have loaded FLL to be year-round, so hopefully this summer it actually happens. They've also extended SFB to early June. They're also showing as CUN remaining weekly throughout the summer.

Today's departure count: 57 (edit 56 with 1 cancellation)

Last edited by Dominion301; Nov 16, 2022 at 3:11 AM.
     
     
  #7167  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 3:12 AM
Dominion301 Dominion301 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,985
Wednesday's departure count: 58

Wednesday's cancellation count (so far): 1
     
     
  #7168  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 3:19 PM
fanofYOW fanofYOW is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
For sure. My read of the original Poeter plan was to make Ottawa a bit of a hub and funnel their east coast and maybe even Toronto Island flights into direct flights thst compete on price. This seemed Iike a risk but possibly better than trying to compete at YYZ orphaning their YTZ flights at a time when Air Canada has abandoned the triangle routes so upping that frequency as business travel returns could be profitable.
Exactly what I think Porter will do. I'm also hoping YOW will use the air service fund for Porter as apposed to AC or WS, plus a non star alliance European carrier such as AF.
     
     
  #7169  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 4:58 PM
thewave46 thewave46 is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxTown View Post
That's a bit of an unfair example, of course. I definitely have chosen my trips down south based on direct flights or not (Jamaica/Cuba/DR/Cancun from Ottawa primarily). This was particularly the case when my kids were younger. Multiply the hassle and annoyance by 10 for each kid under 4 you are travelling with!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesladom View Post
I think you are just trying to be silly here. Obviously if I can fly direct out of Montreal I will drive there and avoid the connection hassle, especially for vacation destinations.
If I want to fly to Rome, of course I will drive to Montreal and take a direct flight. It's not like I chose Winnipeg over Rome (silly argument)
Admittedly, yeah, I was poking a little fun at the concept.
     
     
  #7170  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 7:16 PM
Dominion301 Dominion301 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,985
Today's departure count: 62

Today's cancellation count: 1
     
     
  #7171  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 12:00 PM
YOWhopeful YOWhopeful is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 183
Interesting that BA has announced Heathrow-Cincinnati flights for their summer schedule.
I guess YOW is not on their radar.
     
     
  #7172  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 2:16 PM
Dominion301 Dominion301 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,985
Today's departure count: 68

Today's cancellation count: 1
     
     
  #7173  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 2:27 PM
MountainView MountainView is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWhopeful View Post
Interesting that BA has announced Heathrow-Cincinnati flights for their summer schedule.
I guess YOW is not on their radar.
BA couldn't make YYC work with their 787s once they retired their 767s. They don't have the right sized aircraft to service YYC (or YOW) since their smallest 787-8 has 35 Club World seats which would be a lot to fill from YOW.

YOW's sweet spot was likely the ~211 seat 767. Yes, I know AC would have upgraded YOW to the 788 or A330 in peak seasons, but that plane would be too large for the current travel trends.

Edit: I should add, that I do think AC could make YOW work this summer (2023) with their 788 if they could get back to 2019 levels of travel for next season.
     
     
  #7174  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 3:50 PM
Zmonkey Zmonkey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWhopeful View Post
Interesting that BA has announced Heathrow-Cincinnati flights for their summer schedule.
I guess YOW is not on their radar.
Cincinnati is also a small Delta focus city so BA can do connections. Delta already flies to Paris from Cincinnati.
     
     
  #7175  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 6:12 PM
Dominion301 Dominion301 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmonkey View Post
Cincinnati is also a small Delta focus city so BA can do connections. Delta already flies to Paris from Cincinnati.
They can interline a bit, but they aren't alliance partners unlike the CVG-CDG flight.
     
     
  #7176  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 6:13 PM
Dominion301 Dominion301 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
BA couldn't make YYC work with their 787s once they retired their 767s. They don't have the right sized aircraft to service YYC (or YOW) since their smallest 787-8 has 35 Club World seats which would be a lot to fill from YOW.

YOW's sweet spot was likely the ~211 seat 767. Yes, I know AC would have upgraded YOW to the 788 or A330 in peak seasons, but that plane would be too large for the current travel trends.

Edit: I should add, that I do think AC could make YOW work this summer (2023) with their 788 if they could get back to 2019 levels of travel for next season.
We know it won't be 2023 though. Let's hope the XLRs are on time so that it can be 2024.
     
     
  #7177  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 7:12 PM
Tesladom Tesladom is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmonkey View Post
Cincinnati is also a small Delta focus city so BA can do connections. Delta already flies to Paris from Cincinnati.
CMA for Cincinnati is 2.3Million.
Less than 2 hours drive you also have the following MSAs:
Indianapolis 2.1M
Columbus 2.1M
Louisville 1.4M
Dayton 800k
Lexington 500k

So quite a large catch bassin within a short drive
     
     
  #7178  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 3:12 AM
Coho Coho is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWhopeful View Post
Interesting that BA has announced Heathrow-Cincinnati flights for their summer schedule.
I guess YOW is not on their radar.
No doubt this is due to the region giving/guaranteeing BA $$$ to start the route.

https://local12.com/news/local/ohio-kent...irport-london-revenue-guarantee-jobsohio

Quote:
As Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport competed against other cities in the region for a new British Airways flight to London, Ohio and Kentucky provided key incentives to land it.

The states kicked in a three-year revenue guarantee for British Airways worth millions of dollars, but officials declined to provide an exact figure.

The way the performance-based incentive works is that if British Airways does not achieve a certain amount of revenue per flight, JobsOhio, the state’s private economic development company, will make up the difference. But if enough passengers buy tickets, the state will not have to pay any money. JobsOhio is funded by profits from liquor sales in Ohio, not general tax dollars. Kentucky provided unspecified aid in the package as well.
     
     
  #7179  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2022, 3:57 PM
Dominion301 Dominion301 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,985
Today's departure count: 67
     
     
  #7180  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 3:56 AM
AuxTown's Avatar
AuxTown AuxTown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 4,650
Well, once again I'm travelling tomorrow out of YUL and unable to connect through Ottawa in any reasonable way. I'm not paying $500 return (minimum) when I can take VIA in a similar amount of time (minimal security, no taxiing or de-icing) for $110 return. If we at least had 888 back that would have been a decent option for a connected flight. I'll be in Qatar if you folks need me!

     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:02 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.