Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34
^ It's been interesting seeing zoning apps in Chinatown the past few years propose several mixed-use developments on its side streets. Chicago's Chinatown has always been more suburban than the ones on the East and West Coast, but now we're seeing the area densify
|
There's been others, are zoning change requests but I haven't really seen any of them get built. I think there was another 7 story proposal in Chinatown in the same area like 4 years ago but it never happened (pretty sure it's not this one but.....maybe I'm wrong).
The Chinatowns in NYC, SF, Boston, DC, and Philadelphia being a bit more urban makes sense as those people are from Hong Kong and from older times. Chicago too but for whatever reason it's like half urban. The newer immigrants (last 15-20 years) like my wife grew up completely differently. There's a reason why there's a number of Chinese people who live in South Loop for example (seriously looks like parts of China in a few cities I've been to big time). And then there's areas like the eastern part of Lincoln Park which kind of represents both a fairly urban but nice area like in the "suburban" (but still more urban than a lot of the US) districts of China ....and also I-55 areas like Bridgeport and central/western parts of Lincoln Park which are more suburban on the residential streets which represents an idea of suburbs (in a good way).
I would love to see Chinatown itself densify with a lot more 7+ story building which is the way that Flushing went (which looks a hell of a lot more like mainland China these days than Manhattan Chinatown does). But IMO areas like South Loop will continue to attract mainlanders to live in, instead of Chinatown itself. Chinatown doesn't have as many nice residential places and South Loop is pretty close. But if they started building more stuff like this 7+ story building in Chinatown proper, I bet it would be pretty damn popular and steal some of the business from South Loop.