HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2501  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 6:25 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiEncanto View Post
I agree with your conclusion but at 250 jobs, this is a relatively small site. I'm curious if there are spin off industries or local suppliers that receive a boost.
Any manufacturing being done in the United states is going to have a relatively small workforce. The only way it works is high tech manufacturing. What would be a factory of 2000 in Asia will be a factory of 200 here.

Still those jobs will pay very well and as you say you have the follow on supply chain firms and suppliers that pop up for each of these various plants. The Chip and Electric Car manufacturing alone will being untold follow on suppliers and subcontractors and various other additional services and vendors for them.

Same for the battery factories, the electronics manufacturers, even the bottlers, toy makers and nike shoe factories ( I know that's dead).

And the stuff that cant be done high techly in the USA can be done in Mexico and finalized here which gives us a whole new set of logistics, and import export related business.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2502  
Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 4:58 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,902
And the change in living patterns continue:

https://azbigmedia.com/business/arizona-...r-gaining-most-rich-young-professionals/

With the rise of remote work and Millennials aging into middle age/parental (if late) times we are seeing a rebalancing from the Big city demand into 2nd and 3rd tier cities and towns.

I still hold that this is a good thing, smaller towns and cities have been brutalized in recent decades by brain drain outsourcing and competition form imported immigrant labor. It does not take many 100k incomes in small town KY or Arkansas to completely revive a dying town.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2503  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 9:12 PM
Buckeye Native 001 Buckeye Native 001 is offline
E pluribus unum
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 30,127
I've been in Mesa for the past week. I don't ever remember it feeling this sticky and gross in mid to late September? Dewpoints in the 60s and 70s with somewhat high humidity (40s to 50s). I know we're still technically in monsoon season.

Is this an anomaly or am I being an even bigger idiot than usual?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2504  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 9:30 PM
muertecaza muertecaza is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
I've been in Mesa for the past week. I don't ever remember it feeling this sticky and gross in mid to late September? Dewpoints in the 60s and 70s with somewhat high humidity (40s to 50s). I know we're still technically in monsoon season.

Is this an anomaly or am I being an even bigger idiot than usual?
Don't know you well enough to compare your relative idiocy . Just kidding. But to me at least it has been an abnormally humid September following an above average rainfall for the monsoon season. Not complaining about it at all though. I'll take this over the occasional soul-crushing late September 110-degree day
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2505  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 10:06 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
I've been in Mesa for the past week. I don't ever remember it feeling this sticky and gross in mid to late September? Dewpoints in the 60s and 70s with somewhat high humidity (40s to 50s). I know we're still technically in monsoon season.

Is this an anomaly or am I being an even bigger idiot than usual?
The last several years (Excluding the 2020 exception) have been quite wet. Weve basically been out of drought for most of the last 3 years.

I noticed probably back in 2017 or 2018 that the monsoon was getting less stormy and more generally wet and humid. Which has kept the summer highs down but the humidity is pretty awful. For whatever reason growing up I remember it being blazing hot, and dry during the day with Storms in the evening and night, and then in the morning it usually looked like nothing had happened besides some broken trees maybe.

What I started noticing though in the last 5 but especially the last 2 is we get less intense but more constant flows of rain at night and through the mornings, all summer it was like waking up to Florida more than Arizona.

In some respects its great, the rainfall amounts are desperately needed and there were some weeks over the last two summers even in July with highs at like 88 instead of 108, cant complain! but again the humidity is gross and the storms when they come are less refreshing. Its actually more like a real Monsoon of the Indian variety.

My Dad says this is more like what it was 30+ years ago but I dont remember it that way.

But hey if global warming means we get summers that rarely go above 110 I am fine with that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2506  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 10:27 PM
muertecaza muertecaza is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,466
Also, this is a great site for some data that confirms our perceptions:

https://azclimate.asu.edu/monsoon/

The powerpoint that goes up to Sept. 12 shows that the Valley has had well-above average rainfall for the monsoon period. And if you scroll down to the 'Average Dewpoint' charts, you'll see a big spike in the last week or so for humidity above average.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2507  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 10:33 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,902
Yeah it was pretty stark to me this year when me and the Wife went to Boston in July and the weather was actually pretty much the same as Phoenix that week.

Sure it was unusually hot for Boston and unusually cool for us but it was still weird.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2508  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 8:44 PM
azsunsurfer azsunsurfer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,478
Any of yall following the drama that's on-going between Phoenix and Tempe regarding the Coyotes. Supposedly Phoenix is sending Tempe residents mailers about how damaging the development would be. The Mayor of Tempe today issued a press release shooting down Phoenix's arguments calling the mailers unprecedented.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2509  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 9:03 PM
CrestedSaguaro's Avatar
CrestedSaguaro CrestedSaguaro is offline
Modulator
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Any of yall following the drama that's on-going between Phoenix and Tempe regarding the Coyotes. Supposedly Phoenix is sending Tempe residents mailers about how damaging the development would be. The Mayor of Tempe today issued a press release shooting down Phoenix's arguments calling the mailers unprecedented.
Yep, and here you go. Phoenix is even mailing City of Scottsdale residents.

https://www.abc15.com/news/local-news/ne...mean-new-flight-patterns-over-scottsdale
__________________
Ronnie Garrett
https://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?memberID=205
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2510  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 12:57 AM
exit2lef exit2lef is offline
reasonably smart guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 3,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Any of yall following the drama that's on-going between Phoenix and Tempe regarding the Coyotes. Supposedly Phoenix is sending Tempe residents mailers about how damaging the development would be. The Mayor of Tempe today issued a press release shooting down Phoenix's arguments calling the mailers unprecedented.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Yep, and here you go. Phoenix is even mailing City of Scottsdale residents.

https://www.abc15.com/news/local-news/ne...mean-new-flight-patterns-over-scottsdale
Phoenix's childish territoriality over the airport is to me a sign that Sky Harbor should be transferred to a regional port authority. It's highly unusual to have an airport as big as ours in the hands of a city government, and that arrangement puts the city in contention with its suburbs when the entire metro area should be united behind the airport. I've been highly critical of most efforts by the governor and legislature to undermine local control, but I'd probably support an initiative to move Sky Harbor out of from under Phoenix city government.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2511  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 2:01 AM
combusean's Avatar
combusean combusean is online now
Skyriser
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: CA/AZ Nomad
Posts: 7,451
It's ridiculously transparent that Tempe acts like this isn't a done deal already.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2512  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 6:41 PM
azsunsurfer azsunsurfer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,478
Phoenix be like "mhmm not in my backyard!" lol
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2513  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 7:13 PM
combusean's Avatar
combusean combusean is online now
Skyriser
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: CA/AZ Nomad
Posts: 7,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Phoenix's childish territoriality over the airport is to me a sign that Sky Harbor should be transferred to a regional port authority. It's highly unusual to have an airport as big as ours in the hands of a city government, and that arrangement puts the city in contention with its suburbs when the entire metro area should be united behind the airport. I've been highly critical of most efforts by the governor and legislature to undermine local control, but I'd probably support an initiative to move Sky Harbor out of from under Phoenix city government.
This is a city that barely has an economic development department, sacrificing its own initiatives for GPEC so it's hard to say Phoenix doesn't act regionally.

Also, LAX, OAK, SFO, and SJC are city-owned so PHX is hardly an outsider.

Giving PHX to the county would probably mean the East Valley gets an outsized and misplaced decision making power which is highly likely to be more political and less in the airport's best interests. Phoenix isn't being "childish," they're doing what they're supposed to do as airport owners.

This is an entire rehash of the Cardinals stadium debacle and I'm almost certain the FAA will determine this to be a hazard.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2514  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 12:15 PM
exit2lef exit2lef is offline
reasonably smart guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 3,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
This is a city that barely has an economic development department, sacrificing its own initiatives for GPEC so it's hard to say Phoenix doesn't act regionally.

Also, LAX, OAK, SFO, and SJC are city-owned so PHX is hardly an outsider.

Giving PHX to the county would probably mean the East Valley gets an outsized and misplaced decision making power which is highly likely to be more political and less in the airport's best interests. Phoenix isn't being "childish," they're doing what they're supposed to do as airport owners.

This is an entire rehash of the Cardinals stadium debacle and I'm almost certain the FAA will determine this to be a hazard.
It's the mailings to Tempe and Scottsdale residents that I find childish. The city can protect the airport without underhanded outreach to residents of other cities. Also to clarify, I don't necessarily avocate turning the airport over to Maricopa County. I had in mind something more like Massport, the Port Authority of NY/NJ, or the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority. These are all quasi-governmental entities that have regional representation but are not embedded in any specific level of government.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2515  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 6:53 AM
TJPHXskyscraperfan TJPHXskyscraperfan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Yep, and here you go. Phoenix is even mailing City of Scottsdale residents.

https://www.abc15.com/news/local-news/ne...mean-new-flight-patterns-over-scottsdale
Phoenix starting to sound like Glendale. Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the country, act like it. Phoenix has an arena and baseball stadium about as close to the airport as the hockey arena is being built so why is that ok Phoenix? We are a major city and a major city should have all 4 major sports teams, so unless you’re going to offer some land it a cool area for the Coyotes get over yourselves whoever you are Phoenix representatives. You guys should actually be working on getting us a MLS team instead,lol.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2516  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 5:41 PM
MiEncanto MiEncanto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Phoenix's childish territoriality over the airport is to me a sign that Sky Harbor should be transferred to a regional port authority. It's highly unusual to have an airport as big as ours in the hands of a city government, and that arrangement puts the city in contention with its suburbs when the entire metro area should be united behind the airport. I've been highly critical of most efforts by the governor and legislature to undermine local control, but I'd probably support an initiative to move Sky Harbor out of from under Phoenix city government.
Everyone like to preempt the cities when it's their issue!

But in all seriousness I don't think Phoenix has yet to prove they cannot manage the airport. Heck it's probably the thing they do best. Approving permits and getting zoning changes certainly aint it!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2517  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 6:06 PM
exit2lef exit2lef is offline
reasonably smart guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 3,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiEncanto View Post
Everyone like to preempt the cities when it's their issue!

But in all seriousness I don't think Phoenix has yet to prove they cannot manage the airport. Heck it's probably the thing they do best. Approving permits and getting zoning changes certainly aint it!
I agree that Phoenix generally manages Sky Harbor pretty well. I have more of a problem with how the city uses the airport to stymie development in Tempe.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2518  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 6:15 PM
MiEncanto MiEncanto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I agree that Phoenix generally manages Sky Harbor pretty well. I have more of a problem with how the city uses the airport to stymie development in Tempe.
I agree the flyers to residents seems petty and unnecessary but I don't understand the tactic. Phoenix certainly can't think they will keep the Yotes out of Tempe or move them to Phx. Is it really just the airport doing what it can to protect its turf? Why didn't we hear about this same battle over the Grand at SRP?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2519  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 7:04 PM
CrestedSaguaro's Avatar
CrestedSaguaro CrestedSaguaro is offline
Modulator
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiEncanto View Post
I agree the flyers to residents seems petty and unnecessary but I don't understand the tactic. Phoenix certainly can't think they will keep the Yotes out of Tempe or move them to Phx. Is it really just the airport doing what it can to protect its turf? Why didn't we hear about this same battle over the Grand at SRP?
...or a dozen other Tempe residential developments under the flight paths? Some being just across the street from the proposed Coyotes arena?
__________________
Ronnie Garrett
https://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?memberID=205
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2520  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 7:55 PM
combusean's Avatar
combusean combusean is online now
Skyriser
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: CA/AZ Nomad
Posts: 7,451
This is literally the airport trying to protect its turf. It has nothing to do with "stymieing development" or anything to do with the Coyotes. Nobody was proposing high rise residential until this project came along, and that's besides its other likely hazards to air navigation. The Grand does not have residential located anywhere near Priest for example.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:34 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.