Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown
Wouldn't it be so much easier to build an above ground system?
|
Now that I think about it, maybe not. Work underground might very well not disrupt traffic on the ground level. Even now, on the East side, they are making flyovers from 410 to I10 east, and from I10 to 410 South. I'm assuming they will eventually be a four way flyover like 281 at Airport, like 281 at 1604. like HWY90 at 410 and at 1604 on the West side.
None of those flyovers have made traffic better, but have actually made it worse.
Of course, they are made for vehicle traffic, so there is that, but I don't see rail lines being cheaper or any more effective. San Antonio is not Boston, or New York. It's too spread out already, unless you want to confine people to their own side of town.
There are places here that are confined, and have the amenities anyone would want. Blue Star district, Southtown, SoFLo, the Broadway corridor, which includes the Pearl, and the area around Houston and Losoya Downtown, but people here still want to wander, and won't be without cars. It's just the way it is.
ETA: I didn't even mention the Port San Antonio/Lackland area, or the Schertz/Cibolo area. SA gave land to Schertz/Cibolo off of I10 toward Seguin, and yes, they are building South from I35. I used to work in that area, and I can't recognize it now. It's build up with medical buildings, shopping areas, new roads cut in... it's ridiculous. Pretty soon, San Antonio to Seguin will look like San Antonio to New Braunfels. You don't even know when you've left one for the other until you get to the Guadalupe River.
Or Alamo Ranch. 10 years ago it was fields. Now it's a city within the city. Just figuring out where to run rail would be a task, even if you start with the airport to Downtown. You blink your eyes, and there's a new bustling area.