Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv
I find it incredibly ironic that anyone would boo the mention of the very state that gave us that holiday, has celebrated it as an official state holiday for a long time, and has the nation’s largest Juneteenth celebrations.
|
It could be that they could be booing the fact that force was necessary to free people in the first place? Not sure anyone gives the state credit for something that shouldn't have been necessary in the first place...
But I think my point was a bit muddy (as always) - these were my own personal observations and wild guesses as to why we're so anti-Texan. My wife was born in Dallas and whenever that comes up in conversation with a Coloradan or New Mexican the reaction is usually something along the lines of "Oh, I'm sorry..." or "That's too bad, I really liked you". It's always been friendly and I don't think I've ever actually encountered someone who was rude ONLY because of that, usually if they're actually jerks about where you're from or what you sound like, they're just jerks in general.
And in relation to Take 5's original point - I don't think "being rude to outsiders" is going to reduce prices. It will frustrate some people, but it definitely is not a solution to home prices because the few people that are turned off will be hugely outnumbered by the others that don't notice. Neither is destroying our industry or turning the city into a terrible place to live so people stop moving here. The solution is more housing so all those newcomers with their silly accents, interesting food, and terrible driving habits have someplace to live.