HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
This is asking a lot, but if the City still needs to rebuild the upper deck/bus loop at St. Laurent, and the Feds are still planning on building a new complex across the Queensway, than the three parties should get together and plan a complete rebuild of the station that benefits everyone, most notably the riders.
Agreed! That would be a great idea.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 12:57 PM

Does anyone know what was the initial concept of the St-Laurent station that lead to how bad its access is? I recently moved back to this side of the city so I commute through there pretty often and the few times I had to walk from outside the mall made it feel like it was never meant to be accessed that way...

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald's Racoon View Post
Does anyone know what was the initial concept of the St-Laurent station that lead to how bad its access is? I recently moved back to this side of the city so I commute through there pretty often and the few times I had to walk from outside the mall made it feel like it was never meant to be accessed that way...
I think it was only ever intended to serve the mall and the bus loop.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 1:47 PM

Pretty much. It came with a rebuild of the Queensway and major expansion of the mall. As with the rest of the Transitway, the focus was commuters and serving malls, not neighbourhood walk-ups.

Check out GeoOttawa imagery from 1976 v. 1991. Huge difference.

https://maps.ottawa.ca/geoottawa/

Intresting to note, Michael Street used to have a tunnel across the Queensway at the north end. It was removed for the Transitway. I wonder if that might be why they included a pedestrian tunnel between Tremblay (or "Train" at the time) and through to St. Laurent Station, even though it doesn't at all serve the same area.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Pretty much. It came with a rebuild of the Queensway and major expansion of the mall. As with the rest of the Transitway, the focus was commuters and serving malls, not neighbourhood walk-ups.

Check out GeoOttawa imagery from 1976 v. 1991. Huge difference.

https://maps.ottawa.ca/geoottawa/

Intresting to note, Michael Street used to have a tunnel across the Queensway at the north end. It was removed for the Transitway. I wonder if that might be why they included a pedestrian tunnel between Tremblay (or "Train" at the time) and through to St. Laurent Station, even though it doesn't at all serve the same area.
I think the tunnel was (is) for the alphabet neighbourhood south of the Queensway.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
I think the tunnel was (is) for the alphabet neighbourhood south of the Queensway.
That's what it serves, the "new" St. Laurent tunnel. Just surprised they even thought of adding that considering "Train" was about the same distance. Maybe it was the mall's request?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 1:59 PM

Quote:
That's what it serves, the "new" St. Laurent tunnel. Just surprised they even thought of adding that considering "Train" was about the same distance. Maybe it was the mall's request?
It is half the distance. (about 400 m vs about 900 m)

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 2:25 PM

Quote:
It is half the distance. (about 400 m vs about 900 m)
Right you are, even with the old station that was a bit closer. I seem to forget about the commercial buildings and parking lot between the VIA station and alphabet avenues.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 4:41 PM

Does it surprise anyone, that despite the Transitway and now LRT being directly adjacent to the mall, not one residential phase has been created?

If somebody had enough vision, and money, I would love to see something like the Ion Orchard replace the mall. A good integration of Residential, Commercial, Offices and Transit. https://www.google.ca/search?q=ion+o...&bih=969&dpr=1

Alternatively, at a minimum, a few apartment blocks would be nice.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 4:46 PM

I can't imagine any scenario where Ottawa ever has Singapore money in the future.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreTrains View Post
Does it surprise anyone, that despite the Transitway and now LRT being directly adjacent to the mall, not one residential phase has been created?
I can't see a lot of people seeing it as a good place to live. There are no parks, easily accessible supermarkets, restaurants. There isn't even anywhere to go for a walk. It isn't like Ottawa has a land shortage.

Yeah, if it were a megaproject with parks, retail, entertainment, shopping, residential, etc. then that would be great, but that is a lot of money.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 5:34 PM

Quote:
I can't see a lot of people seeing it as a good place to live. There are no parks, easily accessible supermarkets, restaurants. There isn't even anywhere to go for a walk. It isn't like Ottawa has a land shortage.

Yeah, if it were a megaproject with parks, retail, entertainment, shopping, residential, etc. then that would be great, but that is a lot of money.
You can walk in the mall

I do hope St. Laurent attracts a grocery store again someday. Loblaws at Gloucester Centre is quite a hike from the O-Train and requires to go up and down a few times just to get out of the station. If St. Laurent could get one closer to the doors of the station (even the old Sears space), that would be great.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 6:03 PM

Quote:
You can walk in the mall

I do hope St. Laurent attracts a grocery store again someday. Loblaws at Gloucester Centre is quite a hike from the O-Train and requires to go up and down a few times just to get out of the station. If St. Laurent could get one closer to the doors of the station (even the old Sears space), that would be great.
Ground floor of the Bay would be a good location.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Ground floor of the Bay would be a good location.
Only a matter if time before they meet the same fate as Sears and Eaton's, so that space should free up any day now.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 11:08 PM

The Michael Street tunnel was built when the Queensway was originally built at a time when there were still a lot of people living south of the Queensway and the two schools, the church and shopping was north of the Queensway. Since then, Cyrville has been depopulated, the schools, church and shopping have all gone, so the need for the tunnel mostly disappeared.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2022, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
The Michael Street tunnel was built when the Queensway was originally built at a time when there were still a lot of people living south of the Queensway and the two schools, the church and shopping was north of the Queensway. Since then, Cyrville has been depopulated, the schools, church and shopping have all gone, so the need for the tunnel mostly disappeared.
What used to be a decent village in the middle of the east end is now a wasteland. Just hope the church is preserved, otherwise, nothing of the old village will remain within a couple decades.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 3:35 PM

As others have stated; given the current location, neighbourhood and amenities, I don't necessarily have excessive hope for a Singapore-style project at St-Laurent, but I would expect, at minimum, a few towers (even if all rentals) to add density and residents to prop up mall foot traffic. Even something as simple & basic as the towers which were built at Gloucester centre.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
As others have stated; given the current location, neighbourhood and amenities, I don't necessarily have excessive hope for a Singapore-style project at St-Laurent, but I would expect, at minimum, a few towers (even if all rentals) to add density and residents to prop up mall foot traffic. Even something as simple & basic as the towers which were built at Gloucester centre.
Exactly, it does not need to be something super flashy or world defining, but practicality wise - it makes sense to have towers attached to the St.Laurent mall area so they can increase ridership to and from the mall which will increase mall foot traffic.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 3:48 PM

At the very least, I would want something in line with Bramalia and Bonnie Doon. Why should Morguard go all out (North American version, not Singapore) for the GTA and Edmonton, but cheap out in Ottawa?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
And if done right, it could become a self-fulfilling prophecy where more residents need more services which need more housing. Could (with money) easily put two towers to begin with, and upon their occupation build another tower every year or two. Maybe make the top floors condos, especially with NW views would (depending on height) get some nice views of downtown. Then eventually the mall would need to change to accommodate the 1000? residents and their needs reducing the 'wasteland' that it currently is.

Quote:
At the very least, I would want something in line with Bramalia and Bonnie Doon. Why should Morguard go all out (North American version, not Singapore) for the GTA and Edmonton, but cheap out in Ottawa?
Because colour pallet requirements make 'cheap' design a must?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa