Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon
|
I doubt it, he just throws things at the wall to see what sticks - he's a huge troll. I'm familiar with these plans though, and thanks for posting them. The Silver Line looks great, but funding is an issue. I also don't like that the Airport Station is up adjacent to I-85, and will require a shuttle of some sort. I wish them much success, and they are definitely doing smart planning overall.
Quote:
|
Also add Orlando to the list of Sunbelt cities expanding rail service.
|
This is complicated. I moved here from Orlando years ago, so I'm very proud of them for managing to pull off Commuter Rail. That being said, they can only afford M-F service, focused on rush hours. Midday service is spotty, and is non-existent on nights and weekends. The popularity of their NBA & MLS teams could provide a huge boost to ridership, but it's not an option. Orlando needs an LRT system, like 15 years ago.
Quote:
Atlanta's system is frozen in time. Granted, it was a little ahead of its time, but it's still frustrating to see all of our rail investment going to studies that only result in even more studies and then finally conclude that we should consider studying BRT instead. Meanwhile, other cities (many much smaller) are laying track and building stations.
It would be understandable if Atlanta was stagnant, but its population and economy are growing rapidly, yet the system is quite literally stuck where it was in 1999.
|
Agreed, on all points. I'm very glad they keep up well with our rail network as far as track replacement and safety goes, and am excited re: our coming fleet of state of the art rail cars. But they seem totally rudderless now. We need a very strong Industry veteran at the helm, someone with the stomach to deal with the State. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but am hearing whispers that
they are the ones pushing hard for BRT on all of our important corridors (BeltLine, Clifton, 400), and I wouldn't put it past them.