HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #6761  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 2:38 AM
Stacmon's Avatar
Stacmon Stacmon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 119
I was initially excited by the Arnprior reference until I saw how modest/limited the contribution was. Unfortunately it seems to be nothing transformative!
     
     
  #6762  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 6:31 AM
Truenorth00 Truenorth00 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 29,120
Commercial air service to places like Kingston, Cornwall, London, etc are basically symptoms of policy failures. They should be served by regular rail service to Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal, and have easy transfers at the airports there. Instead, precious slots at the bigger airports are wasted on puddle jumpers going 200 km.
     
     
  #6763  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 1:20 PM
OTSkyline OTSkyline is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,828
My thoughts exactly. Ottawa doesn't even get its fair share of service, why does every other city needs an airport with very little flights or service (*cough cough* maintenance costs).

Funding is limited and government can't foot the bill for everything. I would think HSR/HFR linking all of these communities with fast, reliable service to big cities (and their airports) would be much more cost effective and efficient.
     
     
  #6764  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 3:09 PM
fanofYOW fanofYOW is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 757
https://www.benzinga.com/pressreleases/2...-confirm-completion-of-e195-e2-simulator

"Porter Airlines and FlightSafety International confirm completion of E195-E2 simulator"

Good read for today!
     
     
  #6765  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 4:28 PM
mxg308 mxg308 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
My thoughts exactly. Ottawa doesn't even get its fair share of service, why does every other city needs an airport with very little flights or service (*cough cough* maintenance costs).

Funding is limited and government can't foot the bill for everything. I would think HSR/HFR linking all of these communities with fast, reliable service to big cities (and their airports) would be much more cost effective and efficient.
Can always hop on CN589 on Wednesday's from Arnprior although it might take you 4.5 hours to get to Walkley Yard
     
     
  #6766  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 4:38 PM
Dominion301 Dominion301 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,993
Today’s departure count: 68

Today’s cancellation count: 3
     
     
  #6767  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 8:01 PM
Stacmon's Avatar
Stacmon Stacmon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofYOW View Post
https://www.benzinga.com/pressreleases/2...-confirm-completion-of-e195-e2-simulator

"Porter Airlines and FlightSafety International confirm completion of E195-E2 simulator"

Good read for today!
Thanks for sharing! While not massive Porter news about new destinations out of YOW, this is exactly the kind of morsel that can help keep us patient as we listen for the big reveal!
     
     
  #6768  
Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 12:04 AM
DTcrawler DTcrawler is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofYOW View Post
This article is just bad news after bad news. Pretty disappointing. It is what it is though. Hoping Porter comes through, they’re the last bit of hope I’m seeing in the near future out of all honesty.
I didn't see it that way. Yes, the fact that business travel is still lacking is disappointing but you have to remember the ever-cautious public sector is our biggest employer and we were literally in full lockdown earlier this year. I'm optimistic biz travel will return, albeit at a slower rate than other cities. Still good to hear that leisure travel is strong and to be honest I was quite surprised to see we are already at 70% of pre-pandemic travel numbers - I expected lower, though I'm no expert.

The article goes on to mention that the approved CIP and potential air service development fund are both still on the table, two things that would provide a huge boost to YOW. Also good to hear that the Alt hotel project hasn't been scrapped.

Overall, I wish things would move quicker, but I think once the first domino falls, we'll see a wave of good news.
     
     
  #6769  
Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 2:21 PM
Coho Coho is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 132
There’s an AC 787 parked over near the Canada Reception Centre. Can’t see the reg. Wonder if it’s a charter? Or maybe last nights YVR flight went mechanical?
     
     
  #6770  
Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 4:19 PM
fanofYOW fanofYOW is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTcrawler View Post
I didn't see it that way. Yes, the fact that business travel is still lacking is disappointing but you have to remember the ever-cautious public sector is our biggest employer and we were literally in full lockdown earlier this year. I'm optimistic biz travel will return, albeit at a slower rate than other cities. Still good to hear that leisure travel is strong and to be honest I was quite surprised to see we are already at 70% of pre-pandemic travel numbers - I expected lower, though I'm no expert.

The article goes on to mention that the approved CIP and potential air service development fund are both still on the table, two things that would provide a huge boost to YOW. Also good to hear that the Alt hotel project hasn't been scrapped.

Overall, I wish things would move quicker, but I think once the first domino falls, we'll see a wave of good news.
You're right, I guess the bad news is everything is just going very slowly. Mostly, I was a bit surprised he said that the fund was in the beginning stages of plans since they announced it back in May. I'm not an expert either and don't know how long things like this take but I thought it was well underway instead of just the beginning. Call me impatient haha.
     
     
  #6771  
Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 5:37 PM
Dominion301 Dominion301 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coho View Post
There’s an AC 787 parked over near the Canada Reception Centre. Can’t see the reg. Wonder if it’s a charter? Or maybe last nights YVR flight went mechanical?
Could be mechanical.

There's an extra AC 2083 flight to YEG today on an A220 as last night's cancelled.

Today’s departure count: 68

Today’s cancellation count: 3
     
     
  #6772  
Old Posted Sep 3, 2022, 6:27 AM
Dominion301 Dominion301 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,993
Today’s departure count: 61

Today’s cancellation count (so far): 0
     
     
  #6773  
Old Posted Sep 3, 2022, 3:28 PM
fanofYOW fanofYOW is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacmon View Post
Thanks for sharing! While not massive Porter news about new destinations out of YOW, this is exactly the kind of morsel that can help keep us patient as we listen for the big reveal!
I'm pretty sure they'll announce something this month. They're still planning to fly the first commercial route this year, I don't think they'll be able to delay it anymore. They have to sell the tickets for these flights after all. Either that or they might delay the first service if they need more time.
     
     
  #6774  
Old Posted Sep 4, 2022, 12:36 AM
hehehe hehehe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: YYC--> BNE
Posts: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofYOW View Post
I'm pretty sure they'll announce something this month. They're still planning to fly the first commercial route this year, I don't think they'll be able to delay it anymore. They have to sell the tickets for these flights after all. Either that or they might delay the first service if they need more time.
if they want to launch flights in 2022 they're going to have to announce something pretty fast...
     
     
  #6775  
Old Posted Sep 4, 2022, 2:17 PM
fanofYOW fanofYOW is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by hehehe View Post
if they want to launch flights in 2022 they're going to have to announce something pretty fast...
Exactly. It's getting very late in the year and they seem firm on starting this year. Don't airlines need at least 2 months-ish to sell tickets on new routes?
     
     
  #6776  
Old Posted Sep 4, 2022, 11:42 PM
hehehe hehehe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: YYC--> BNE
Posts: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofYOW View Post
Exactly. It's getting very late in the year and they seem firm on starting this year. Don't airlines need at least 2 months-ish to sell tickets on new routes?
2 months is the bare minimum, especially considering they have no brand recognition in the west. They probably need more like 3 months. Have configuration plans even been released yet?
     
     
  #6777  
Old Posted Sep 5, 2022, 3:57 AM
MountainView MountainView is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,184
Porter still hasn't had delivery of their first jet engine plane yet. Nor do I think Transport Canada has approved the E195-E2 to fly in Canada yet. (someone please correct me or confirm if you can).

Their first destination is going to be "training" flights, like YYZ-YUL/YOW. This market can work for them in the fall/winter when they receive their first planes (maybe throw in YHZ as well... but the short runs will help with the take-off & landing counts for the crew).

As for their new routes... again... as much as I am a large advocate for YOW, some expectations should be simmered down. If they launch anything between now and May 2023, expect YVR or a Florida destination from YYZ. If they announce something for May 2023 and beyond, with their limited frames, I would expect something like YYZ/YUL-YVR (on the E2), YOW/YHZ-YYZ on Q400 (maybe E2 for rotation). They need to start somewhere, and I think it's going to be YYZ. It's lower risk and they have brand recognition in the YYZ market. Perhaps they think a lot of people will be happy to fly YYZ-YVR on their metal as oppose to Westjet or Air Canada.

Also... has anyone heard a confirmation that Porter is building a hangar at YOW? I've heard all the rumours and speculation... and it makes sense and is believable... but I don't think any solid confirmation or sources have stated this as fact.
     
     
  #6778  
Old Posted Sep 5, 2022, 6:08 AM
Dominion301 Dominion301 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,993
Today’s departure count: 71

Today’s cancellation count (so far): 0
     
     
  #6779  
Old Posted Sep 5, 2022, 1:50 PM
YOWflier's Avatar
YOWflier YOWflier is offline
Melissa: fabulous.
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: YOW/CYOW/CUUP
Posts: 3,197
Apart from stuff that some people have heard from people well positioned to know, some of the best hints come from the 2022 APM minutes @ https://yow.ca/en/corporate/media-centre/press-releases/2022-annual-public-meeting-formal-remarks

I recommended everyone read this, especially the section “2021 Update and the Way Forward”.

Quote:
Earlier today, we officially broke ground on an exciting project that is a game-changer for YOW. We call it Taxiway Romeo, and it represents the first major airside infrastructure expansion project since well before the Authority was established in 1997. We initiated Romeo to accommodate the growing demands of our G7 Capital airport, including the unique and frequent needs of the Government of Canada. We’ve earmarked nearly 25,000 square metres, or six acres, for their needs.

A positive side effect was how quickly the private sector seized the opportunity to shore up the remaining space. We have a potential private hangar and supporting apron project representing another approximately 25,000 square metres and well over $50 M in capital investments and some high-paying aeronautical jobs. Add serious interest from a cargo/logistics operator who could potentially occupy the north side of the taxiway, and I am sure you can understand why I’m bullish about our future. Confidentiality agreements preclude me from sharing more, but I will be happy to elaborate when the time is right.
In reading between the lines it’s not hard to reach the Porter conclusion, especially when you add this to all other bits of information heard from various sources.

A new taxiway to a new government facility is hardly a “game changer”. There has to be way more behind that statement. I must admit I’m also very intrigued by the cargo/logistics operator comments. Cargojet? Fedex? Amazon?

Finally, and separately from any of this but still intriguing, the military’s AETE is supposed to be moving to Ottawa from Cold Lake. Sounds like they’re renovating hangar 14 for that.

Last edited by YOWflier; Sep 5, 2022 at 4:14 PM.
     
     
  #6780  
Old Posted Sep 5, 2022, 3:33 PM
fanofYOW fanofYOW is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
Porter still hasn't had delivery of their first jet engine plane yet. Nor do I think Transport Canada has approved the E195-E2 to fly in Canada yet. (someone please correct me or confirm if you can).

Their first destination is going to be "training" flights, like YYZ-YUL/YOW. This market can work for them in the fall/winter when they receive their first planes (maybe throw in YHZ as well... but the short runs will help with the take-off & landing counts for the crew).

As for their new routes... again... as much as I am a large advocate for YOW, some expectations should be simmered down. If they launch anything between now and May 2023, expect YVR or a Florida destination from YYZ. If they announce something for May 2023 and beyond, with their limited frames, I would expect something like YYZ/YUL-YVR (on the E2), YOW/YHZ-YYZ on Q400 (maybe E2 for rotation). They need to start somewhere, and I think it's going to be YYZ. It's lower risk and they have brand recognition in the YYZ market. Perhaps they think a lot of people will be happy to fly YYZ-YVR on their metal as oppose to Westjet or Air Canada.

Also... has anyone heard a confirmation that Porter is building a hangar at YOW? I've heard all the rumours and speculation... and it makes sense and is believable... but I don't think any solid confirmation or sources have stated this as fact.
Very true that the initial routes won't be extravagant for us but I don't think they will use the Dash-8's to fly to YYZ. I might be wrong but I think they're reserving those for YTZ. There's nothing stopping them from changing up YTZ routes to free up some Dash-8's though. I think YOW will initial get some Western Canadian destinations, maybe one or 2 to Florida since Winter is very close. As they increase their plane numbers in 2023 I'm hoping for south-west USA. Also, they may change initial routes if they think it's not working, it happens all the time. I'm more thinking about the heavy competition in YUL and YYZ and because of that, I still think they will do far better in YOW and YHZ.

Last edited by fanofYOW; Sep 5, 2022 at 4:26 PM.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:24 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.