Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket
It is unfortunate that metro stations in the US don't have platform doors. If you've spent any amount of time traveling in Asia, you'd see the rapid transit systems there are much safer, cleaner, newer, and user friendly.
|
I'm sort of indifferent to the whole concept of PSDs. I suppose with a ground up metro system or completely new lines they have a selling point. But the outrageous cost to retrofit them into an existing system and the visual and psychological sense of confinement they produce on already cramped platforms (unless of the harder to engineer and less protective half height style) I don't think they are worth it. Yes they may save some lives by preventing the incredibly rare and tragic pushing incident and a number of yearly suicides (which most would find another way to accomplish anyway, sorry to sound heartless) but when weighed against system expansion, better service and rehabilitated stations I do not see their value. And yes that's not even getting into the undeniable fact that they would take that certain something away, that energy and that magic, and not just for railfans, from the entire experience of riding rail rapid transit. I find the images of the grand vaulted ceilings of Paris Metro stations being walled in by tinted glass screens pretty miserable.