HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & Urban Ottawa


    The Met in the SkyscraperPage Database

• Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

• Map Location

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #241  
Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 7:08 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Some images from ground level by me on Friday. Claridge buildings around there are actually decent IMO. On the plain side, but seem to be of quality materials.







Reply With Quote
     
     
  #242  
Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 7:02 PM
UrbOttawa UrbOttawa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 415
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #243  
Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 9:33 PM
ponyboycurtis's Avatar
ponyboycurtis ponyboycurtis is offline
Cigritbutt enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Blahttawa
Posts: 1,689
The rooftop is what's going to make this one for me, particularly from the 417. The all glass curtain and integrated medical building are fine and dandy but nothing that will really make it stand out from a distance. I do appreciate the change of texture the tower itself will bring to the southern flank of the core but it's not enough on it's own.

The revised renders show a non-symmetrical mechanical penthouse and shorter angled wings on the sides. I'm not sure why they would have dialed that aspect back. I'll have to reserve final judgement. Up close she's lovely but from the highway that design change may come back to bite them.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #244  
Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 11:41 PM
waterloowarrior's Avatar
waterloowarrior waterloowarrior is offline
National Capital Region
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 9,255
Dat glass
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #245  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 11:49 PM
YukonLlama YukonLlama is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 155
I understand people generally detest all-glass buildings, but we barely have any of these sorts of towers in Ottawa. I much prefer seeing a few more of these go up over the weird punch-hole windows that I see in a lot of condos here in Ottawa.

But I do agree that it doesn't really stand out amongst the big clump. We need to remove the 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 height restrictions in our downtown. Its ridiculous, let's move on with the times.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #246  
Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 3:19 AM
Harley613's Avatar
Harley613 Harley613 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Aylmer, QC
Posts: 6,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonLlama View Post
I understand people generally detest all-glass buildings, but we barely have any of these sorts of towers in Ottawa. I much prefer seeing a few more of these go up over the weird punch-hole windows that I see in a lot of condos here in Ottawa.

But I do agree that it doesn't really stand out amongst the big clump. We need to remove the 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 height restrictions in our downtown. Its ridiculous, let's move on with the times.
There is no protected view plane height restriction here. It ends two block North of this lot on Gloucester St.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #247  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 6:35 PM
ponyboycurtis's Avatar
ponyboycurtis ponyboycurtis is offline
Cigritbutt enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Blahttawa
Posts: 1,689


I couldn't help but notice there are 3 panes of broken glass taped together. If it ain't bricks it's broken glass eh? Darn glaziers... too many liquid lunches with the brickies

I said it before but I love how the glass extends all the way to the balcony edges. That is a look I had never considered before. Very clean and sleek.

7 ish more floors plus the roofline. It's moving along!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #248  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 7:37 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Such a departure from the standard Ottawa projects. Looking forward to seeing this one complete.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #249  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 7:59 PM
OTSkyline OTSkyline is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,828
Wow, absolutely beautiful. Much needed contrast in our that part of CBD. Very little sleek, modern, all glass towers like that in Ottawa. I love the balcony design too and the darker tint of the windows (not clear glass or that teal/blue stuff like at those Claridge projects).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #250  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 9:27 PM
ponyboycurtis's Avatar
ponyboycurtis ponyboycurtis is offline
Cigritbutt enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Blahttawa
Posts: 1,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Wow, absolutely beautiful. Much needed contrast in our that part of CBD. Very little sleek, modern, all glass towers like that in Ottawa. I love the balcony design too and the darker tint of the windows (not clear glass or that teal/blue stuff like at those Claridge projects).
Teal glass with silver painted aluminum spandrels in that weird grid thing that is all the rage? Agreed. I've had a lifetime supply.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #251  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2022, 11:35 PM
Harley613's Avatar
Harley613 Harley613 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Aylmer, QC
Posts: 6,896
One of these things is not like the others.....

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #252  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2022, 11:41 PM
Harley613's Avatar
Harley613 Harley613 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Aylmer, QC
Posts: 6,896
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #253  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 12:38 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Too bad they didn't build it to the full proposed height, but still a great addition to the skyline. Great mix of buildings along the south face of the skyline.

Sidenote, Tribeca is actually quite nice. Big windows, two different, yet coherently towers, the roof details on each. I notice some metal railings as well, so they knew how to do that even in the early 2010s. Too bad they didn't use those for Icon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #254  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 2:08 PM
OTSkyline OTSkyline is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,828
I wish they had used the same colour brick in the podium of the extension instead of charcoal. Unless I'm missing something and the stupid rules like the Chateau Laurier prevented something like this (aka not trying to copy/replicate existing styles)?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #255  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 3:38 AM
Harley613's Avatar
Harley613 Harley613 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Aylmer, QC
Posts: 6,896
Mods: this is a 28 story building by visual count, and according to the https://metluxuryrentals.com/ website, please update. We should leave the metre count blank because we don't have a reliable count. Based on my drone shots it's definitely sub 90 metre, in the 80-90 range like Tribeca.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #256  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 6:42 PM
ponyboycurtis's Avatar
ponyboycurtis ponyboycurtis is offline
Cigritbutt enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Blahttawa
Posts: 1,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Too bad they didn't build it to the full proposed height, but still a great addition to the skyline. Great mix of buildings along the south face of the skyline.

Sidenote, Tribeca is actually quite nice. Big windows, two different, yet coherently towers, the roof details on each. I notice some metal railings as well, so they knew how to do that even in the early 2010s. Too bad they didn't use those for Icon.
If they actually wrap the mechanical penthouse in the same glass then it may have the appearance of having an extra 2/3 floors.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #257  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 6:44 PM
JHikka's Avatar
JHikka JHikka is offline
ハルウララ
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,853
Really wish this didn't contribute to the tabletop height but the glass is very welcome.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #258  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 9:02 PM
rocketphish's Avatar
rocketphish rocketphish is online now
Planet Ottawa and beyond
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Greater Ottawa
Posts: 14,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Mods: this is a 28 story building by visual count, and according to the https://metluxuryrentals.com/ website, please update. We should leave the metre count blank because we don't have a reliable count. Based on my drone shots it's definitely sub 90 metre, in the 80-90 range like Tribeca.
Reverting back to the approved floor count and height from June 2019. (84.5m | 27f)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #259  
Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 3:05 AM
GeoNerd GeoNerd is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON.
Posts: 552
Despite the charcoal brick, this tower is turning out quite nice. Simple and clean.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #260  
Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 1:06 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
I wish they had used the same colour brick in the podium of the extension instead of charcoal. Unless I'm missing something and the stupid rules like the Chateau Laurier prevented something like this (aka not trying to copy/replicate existing styles)?
I still prefer the contrast that distinguishes between heritage and modern. They might have been able to do that with a different brick/stone type or colour to get away from the Ottawa special charcoal.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & Urban Ottawa
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:06 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.