HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1181  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 11:37 PM
Cloud 9 Cloud 9 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhatdan View Post
Do it again, do it harder and don''t stop.
Well deserved response!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1182  
Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 12:08 AM
CaptainBL CaptainBL is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
If you're eating at a restaurant knowing full well that it has piss-poor reviews, empty tables and is on the verge of closing for good then I'd say yes it's your fault.
See Kcantor's response exactly.

out of 768 Google reviews, 42% are 5/5 and 32% are 4/5 stars. It is promoted by the hotel and the city as close to the river valley and the closest hotel to our main business attraction - the convention center.

Any reasonable person who did any amount of reasonable diligence would not be picking this hotel as a hotel on the verge of closing expecting while expecting the Taj Mahal.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1183  
Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 12:27 AM
EdmTrekker EdmTrekker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,247
Google reviews are simply not credible - anyone can write a fake review. Neither are those on Trip Advisor. I use Expedia LOTS as we travel extensively and read their reviews from verified travellers who booked actual stays at the property with Expedia. Same with Booking.com.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1184  
Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 1:38 AM
ciudad_del_norte's Avatar
ciudad_del_norte ciudad_del_norte is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Amiskwaciwâskahikan/Mohkinstsis
Posts: 1,017
The idea that somebody would bother looking this up in google maps and believe it to be equivalent experience to something in downtown proper - (never mind expect the taj mahal) because the hotel's website says nice things (they usually do...) seems disingenuous.

If you've travelled (esp on a budget) and booked things online there are plenty of flags for this one. I appreciate It may be hard to fully know what to expect. Honestly, a review complaining about it being sketchier than expected and feeling farther from downtown and amenities because of that would be fair imo.

To choose to stay there and then complain that its bleak and not vibrant? Meh. To frame it as "downtown Edmonton" when it would be pretty obvious while staying there that you aren't really experiencing 'downtown'.

I'm sorry they had a bad experience - but this does not seem worth that much civic self pity.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1185  
Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 2:00 AM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,132
Henceforth/why Edmonton.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1186  
Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 11:16 PM
GreenSPACE's Avatar
GreenSPACE GreenSPACE is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,865
I agree with Ken's assessment. It would be very hard to know that it's not in a good location. Perhaps if you did some sleuthing and saw the main floor retail all empty, lack of immediate restaurant neighbours. Those are not really red flag though. The lack of develoment around would be red flat to me in terms of actual seeing vibrancy on the street.

You could simply book the place, come there during the day, see a few street people but not be too concerned and enjoy your experience then BOOM night time and screaming people with major addition issues, emergency vehicles non stop, security issues for the hotel itself that staff find hard to deal with, major discorder and cleanliness issues created over night, etc.
__________________
"A great city is not to be confounded with a populous one." - Aristotle
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1187  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 5:00 AM
Black Star Black Star is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 7,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhatdan View Post
Do it again, do it harder and don''t stop.


No... I will not do this to you. I reject your advances. Creep.

I dunno man...are you old and crazy? I dont swing this way.

Last edited by Black Star; Jul 27, 2022 at 5:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1188  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 5:02 AM
Black Star Black Star is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 7,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud 9 View Post


Well deserved response!

Yeah...good one eh lol. Tell me how this made you feel inside lol.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1189  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 1:59 PM
feepa's Avatar
feepa feepa is offline
Change is good
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,563
I booked a hotel in SF that was on the edge of the tenderloin district and financial district. This was pre-covid, but I certainly knew what to expect doing so. Took BART from SFO, there was some interesting characters on it, not unlike Edmonton, but they kept to themselves. Lots of homelessness and junkies filling the Market street area, which in some ways, is similar to Jasper Avenue in that its the main road through, and has lots of similar issues.
I wonder like others, how much the person has travelled, and how well they researched the area they were staying in.

It's not like this is an Edmonton only problem, and compared to DTES or parts of downtown SF (even precovid), Edmonton isn't so bad in these terms.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1190  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 4:00 PM
Harrison's Avatar
Harrison Harrison is offline
A Better Place
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
I booked a hotel in SF that was on the edge of the tenderloin district and financial district. This was pre-covid, but I certainly knew what to expect doing so. Took BART from SFO, there was some interesting characters on it, not unlike Edmonton, but they kept to themselves. Lots of homelessness and junkies filling the Market street area, which in some ways, is similar to Jasper Avenue in that its the main road through, and has lots of similar issues.
I wonder like others, how much the person has travelled, and how well they researched the area they were staying in.

It's not like this is an Edmonton only problem, and compared to DTES or parts of downtown SF (even precovid), Edmonton isn't so bad in these terms.
There is nowhere in Canada that is equivalent to the vagrancy of the DTES, no matter how much someone tries to think the Quarters or Chinatown is equivalent to it.
__________________
Bingo bango bongo
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1191  
Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 3:47 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,132
Emily Salsbury-Deveaux
• 1st
Award Winning Retail & Real Estate Strategist
1h • 1 hour ago

Big News! It’s no secret that Edmonton has some of the harshest winters in Canada. I guess I won’t be here to find out! I’ll be in Kelowna as we are opening a location there!

I’m so excited to continue our expansion the way we envision it. We aren’t your typical retailer but it works for us and our customers!
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1192  
Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 5:17 PM
Glenco Glenco is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Emily Salsbury-Deveaux
• 1st
Award Winning Retail & Real Estate Strategist
1h • 1 hour ago

Big News! It’s no secret that Edmonton has some of the harshest winters in Canada. I guess I won’t be here to find out! I’ll be in Kelowna as we are opening a location there!

I’m so excited to continue our expansion the way we envision it. We aren’t your typical retailer but it works for us and our customers!
What is the point of this post?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1193  
Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 6:39 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,132
An interesting way to say that a company started in Edmonton and used as an Edmonton Global post child is expanding elsewhere and perhaps her going along with it.

*I know her and wish her continued success, but an oddly unique way to share this news.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1194  
Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 7:03 PM
EdmTrekker EdmTrekker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,247
Who gives a 🞵🞵🞵🞵 - never heard of her or the company you say she started in Edmonton and she says she was never here to make even one winter. "I guess I won’t be here to find out!". I guess she was really never here - for any winter. With luck she will leave - and take her 🞵🞵🞵🞵 attitude with her.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1195  
Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 8:44 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,132
HA!

She has been all over social and Edmonton Global along with EIA.

Emily is an Edmonton success story and a proud ambassador of entrepreneurship, but it was an odd way to share her expansion.

Also, your reaction highlights a foundational issue on her part and yours/Edmonton's.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1196  
Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 9:50 PM
kcantor kcantor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
What is the point of this post?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
An interesting way to say that a company started in Edmonton and used as an Edmonton Global post child is expanding elsewhere and perhaps her going along with it.

*I know her and wish her continued success, but an oddly unique way to share this news.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
Who gives a 🞵🞵🞵🞵 - never heard of her or the company you say she started in Edmonton and she says she was never here to make even one winter. "I guess I won’t be here to find out!". I guess she was really never here - for any winter. With luck she will leave - and take her 🞵🞵🞵🞵 attitude with her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
HA!

She has been all over social and Edmonton Global along with EIA.

Emily is an Edmonton success story and a proud ambassador of entrepreneurship, but it was an odd way to share her expansion.

Also, your reaction highlights a foundational issue on her part and yours/Edmonton's.
soo... that's a pretty strange announcement for someone who has worked in edmonton for decades all right. you'd think there isn't much left for her to find out when it comes to our winters.

while i also wish her the best, like Glenco i don't understand the point of your post in this thread unless it's saying that edmonton's brand and reputation is far from being what it should be/what we want it to be (unless it was really just letting us know how connected and informed you are even from camrose?).

because one might think there is more to this than avoiding winter given there was such fan fair regarding emmydeveaux announcing that they would be locating their operations at eia because "we are in the process of moving to 100 per cent online” and then moving to kelowna to open a bricks and mortar store in premises that have already been leased less than 6 months later?

maybe you could explain what that "foundational issue on her part and [EdmTrekker's;Glenco's;mine]/Edmonton's" that you're now saying was the real reason for your post even though there was no mention of that until your third one (wasn't the first one just a copy of her announcement?).
__________________
"If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1197  
Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 1:07 AM
Cloud 9 Cloud 9 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
soo... that's a pretty strange announcement for someone who has worked in edmonton for decades all right. you'd think there isn't much left for her to find out when it comes to our winters.

while i also wish her the best, like Glenco i don't understand the point of your post in this thread unless it's saying that edmonton's brand and reputation is far from being what it should be/what we want it to be (unless it was really just letting us know how connected and informed you are even from camrose?).

because one might think there is more to this than avoiding winter given there was such fan fair regarding emmydeveaux announcing that they would be locating their operations at eia because "we are in the process of moving to 100 per cent online” and then moving to kelowna to open a bricks and mortar store in premises that have already been leased less than 6 months later?

maybe you could explain what that "foundational issue on her part and [EdmTrekker's;Glenco's;mine]/Edmonton's" that you're now saying was the real reason for your post even though there was no mention of that until your third one (wasn't the first one just a copy of her announcement?).
I see this as another cheap shot at our city.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1198  
Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 1:24 AM
JSS1974 JSS1974 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 408
Is she moving from Edmonton to Kelowna
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1199  
Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 2:03 PM
TimB09 TimB09 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud 9 View Post
I see this as another cheap shot at our city.
That's what I take it as too.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1200  
Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 8:55 PM
Airboy Airboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton/St Albert
Posts: 9,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
That's what I take it as too.
I see it as a 🞵🞵🞵🞵 you as well. Yah you were there for me at the start but I have no loyalty.

And Every city complains about how harsh there winters are.
__________________
Why complain about the weather? Its always going to be here. You on the other hand will not.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:07 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.