HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #401  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 10:34 PM
chowhou's Avatar
chowhou chowhou is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: East Vancouver (No longer across the ocean!)
Posts: 3,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
The Broadway bike lane pitch? I usually agree with them, but once in a while they're almost COPE-like.
I appreciate their voice at least, it's probably important to have a block that argues for going a bit too far to counter the block that argues for never going far enough.
     
     
  #402  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 10:55 PM
WarrenC12's Avatar
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 24,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
This is true, I forgot that we use a block voting system. I was thinking FPTP style, "voting for person A is implicitly pushing back against person B", but that isn't as much the case with block voting. I imagine a lot of people would rather put Swanson than an NPAer, TEAM, or Progress candidate.
NPA and TEAM are NIMBY, Progress is YIMBY. Swanson is "mansion tax and free housing for all".

But yes, for some context in 2018, 176k ballots were cast. Stewart got in with only 49k votes. Swanson got 48.8k votes (4th of 10), and 43.5k was the cutoff to get on to council.
     
     
  #403  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 11:16 PM
chowhou's Avatar
chowhou chowhou is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: East Vancouver (No longer across the ocean!)
Posts: 3,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
NPA and TEAM are NIMBY, Progress is YIMBY. Swanson is "mansion tax and free housing for all".

But yes, for some context in 2018, 176k ballots were cast. Stewart got in with only 49k votes. Swanson got 48.8k votes (4th of 10), and 43.5k was the cutoff to get on to council.
I find that a lot of people that would be pro-Swanson, would be against all of the above parties. They're all "right wing".
     
     
  #404  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 11:27 PM
Feathered Friend Feathered Friend is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,554
Quote:
Forward Together mayoral candidate Kennedy Stewart today announced the first three members of Forward Together’s council team running with him in this fall’s municipal election. They are:

Russil Wvong, a software developer and housing advocate;

Dulcy Anderson, a Harvard-educated women’s advocate with a master’s degree in city planning from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT); and,

Hilary Brown, a science educator at Vancouver Community College and volunteer leader in B.C. wheelchair sports.
https://www.forwardvancouver.ca/first_three_ft_council_candidates

I meant to post this a while ago. I've spoken with Russil Wvong, and Dulcy Anderson before I knew they announced they were running, and can say they both seem like they would be good on council. I've spoke with Hilary Brown, so I can't say anything there. My understanding from the news is that there's at least one more candidate to be announced yet too.
     
     
  #405  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 11:40 PM
Feathered Friend Feathered Friend is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,554
More announcements

Quote:
Mike Klassen announced as ABC Vancouver’s seventh candidate for City Council
VANCOUVER — ABC Vancouver announced today that community advocate Mike Klassen has been nominated as ABC’s seventh candidate for Vancouver City Council.
https://abcvancouver.ca/mike-klassen-ann...rs-seventh-candidate-for-city-council-2/

Quote:
Vancouver's newest municipal party announced their candidates last weekend and this weekend could be found talking to people and answering questions in parks and plazas around the city.

What's On Queer BC supports VOTE Socialist and their three candidates: Sean Orr for City Council, Andrea Pinochet-Escudero for Park Board, and Dr. Karina Zeidler for School Board.
https://whatsonqueerbc.com/queer-diversions/vote-socialist

Quote:
Let's get City Council working for Vancouver!
My name is Morgane Oger. I love Vancouver, and like you I want our city to be a place where people thrive. That's why I am seeking the Progress Vancouver nomination to seek election to City Council in the upcoming election.
https://www.votemorganeoger.ca/
     
     
  #406  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 11:43 PM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
Nice to see them dropping some of the populism. Not a CoV voter so I don't have a horse in this race, but I've noticed a lot of people that self identify as "progressive" or "urbanists" that think ABC and Ken Sim are demons incarnate. Can anyone explain why? Their platform seems like a cookie cutter urbanist party platform, approve more housing, invest in transit infrastructure, invest in public spaces, provide addiction and homelessness support.

Am I missing something? Sure they have NPA heritage, but they explicitly split off from the party due to political disagreements.
Abolishing the Parks Board isn't populism it is common sense. No other major North American city has an elected Parks Board, why on Earth does Vancouver need one?
     
     
  #407  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 12:04 AM
chowhou's Avatar
chowhou chowhou is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: East Vancouver (No longer across the ocean!)
Posts: 3,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Abolishing the Parks Board isn't populism it is common sense. No other major North American city has an elected Parks Board, why on Earth does Vancouver need one?
Haven't you used this talking point before? You. Are. Wrong. The San Francisco East Bay has an elected parks board. Minneapolis also has an elected parks board.

In fact, you know what, here is a list of every parks board in Washington State. Some are appointed by city council, but I count 14 publically elected bodies out of 23 independent park districts (as they call them across the border).

Please at least make informed arguments.
     
     
  #408  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 12:16 AM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,070
Oooh, so a grand total then of two major cities? I stand corrected.

And if anyone needed yet another reason to turf this benighted institution, here's another and perhaps the best:

It may be time to eliminate Canada's only elected park board: expert

Posted May 17, 2017, 7:48AM PDT.Last Updated May 18, 2017, 9:57AM PDT.
Summary
Political scientist says perhaps it's time to get rid of a second level of civic government
Vancouver is home to the only Canadian city with an elected park board
VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – Vancouver is the only city in Canada with an elected park board and after its decision on Monday night to ban new cetaceans at the Vancouver Aquarium, there are suggestions it may time to eliminate the city’s second level of civic government.

“I actually think it could be something [voters] might be interested in if there was enough public pressure. I think after recent fiascos, there seems to be some mounting sense that the park board model isn’t the best,” explains SFU Political Scientist Dr. David Moscrop. “I actually don’t think it would be all that much more work. And again, there are literally hundreds, if not thousands of models they could follow. It is the norm to have the park folks built into the bureaucracy and not elected.”

He says the average voter has no idea who the commissioners even are, and if that’s the case, why bother having an election?

“Let’s be honest, voters, they don’t know who park board candidates are, they’re not doing their research. They’re not paying any attention to that. When I went to the ballot box last time, I had no idea who these people were,” says Moscrop. “People are going to blame the council or reward them based on what the park board does anyway. They’re not going to blame the park board because they’ve got no idea who the park board is.”...


https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2017/05/17...me-eliminate-canadas-elected-park-board/
     
     
  #409  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 12:28 AM
chowhou's Avatar
chowhou chowhou is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: East Vancouver (No longer across the ocean!)
Posts: 3,894
> "No other North American city has an elected parks board"
> Gets shown 16 examples, 14 directly across the border
> "Well only 2 of those are major cities"
>

San Francisco and Minneapolis are examples I found with only 5 minutes of research. Tacoma is on the list of 14 too, by the way, unless you don't think Seattle is a major city. You didn't even bother to do a little bit of research by reading the list I put right in front of your face.

Quote:
He says the average voter has no idea who the commissioners even are, and if that’s the case, why bother having an election?
So let's turf council and the school board too because the average voter doesn't know any of them either? What a stupid argument.

Let's be honest, if the parks board were doing what you wanted, you'd be okay with it, and if the parks board were beholden to city council and things were the status quo you'd still be a snowflake about it.
     
     
  #410  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 12:47 AM
CivicBlues CivicBlues is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 947
Why is every thread in the Vancouver subforum just an argument with Whatnext or Vin at this point?
     
     
  #411  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 12:53 AM
chowhou's Avatar
chowhou chowhou is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: East Vancouver (No longer across the ocean!)
Posts: 3,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Why is every thread in the Vancouver subforum just an argument with Whatnext or Vin at this point?
Sorry.
     
     
  #412  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 12:56 AM
CivicBlues CivicBlues is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
Sorry.
Don't be. You're not the issue
     
     
  #413  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 1:56 AM
MIPS's Avatar
MIPS MIPS is offline
SkyTrain Nut
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kamloops
Posts: 2,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Why is every thread in the Vancouver subforum just an argument with Whatnext or Vin at this point?
I'm just here for the free food.
     
     
  #414  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 3:54 AM
Conrad Yablonski's Avatar
Conrad Yablonski Conrad Yablonski is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 700
I know this is shirking my civic responsibility but having voted in every municipal election since I moved here in the early 70's I may skip this one-too many useless flakey candidates is just one reason.
     
     
  #415  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 4:25 AM
Jimbo604 Jimbo604 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,888
City of Vancouver Website:
Home >Your government > Municipal elections > 2022 election > Becoming a candidate
https://vancouver.ca/your-government/becoming-a-candidate.aspx

"Did you know you don't need any political experience or special background to become a candidate?"
     
     
  #416  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 3:18 PM
WarrenC12's Avatar
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 24,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Yablonski View Post
I know this is shirking my civic responsibility but having voted in every municipal election since I moved here in the early 70's I may skip this one-too many useless flakey candidates is just one reason.
Nothing wrong with voting just for the few people you know & like. You don't have to submit a complete ballot voting for all positions.
     
     
  #417  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 5:04 PM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Why is every thread in the Vancouver subforum just an argument with Whatnext or Vin at this point?
Still waiting for any pictures you'd like to contribute to the forum. Apparently you, chowhou and Warren haven't advanced to phones with camera yet. How's that flip phone working out for ya?

Still, at least we can count on you to drop in every so often and take random potshots at other posters.
     
     
  #418  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 5:21 PM
WarrenC12's Avatar
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 24,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Still waiting for any pictures you'd like to contribute to the forum. Apparently you, chowhou and Warren haven't advanced to phones with camera yet. How's that flip phone working out for ya?

Still, at least we can count on you to drop in every so often and take random potshots at other posters.
Huh? Where's your photo threads? I didn't know that was a requirement to participate.
     
     
  #419  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 5:22 PM
FarmerHaight's Avatar
FarmerHaight FarmerHaight is offline
Peddling to progress
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Vancouver's West End
Posts: 1,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
I'm just here for the free food.
How did I miss free food?
__________________
“Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a bike” – John F Kennedy
     
     
  #420  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 6:06 PM
jlousa's Avatar
jlousa jlousa is offline
Ferris Wheel Hater
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,371
The free hotdogs don't apply to bike fanatics It has been a long time though, and to keep it on topic maybe we can have another meet to celebrate a new and hopefully better council post election.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:23 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.