Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire
I take your point. You always have the option of waiting out the market. But that is not always going to be ideal.
I remember meeting a young newlywed couple from south Florida in 2009. They had bought a condo a couple of years earlier, just before the American housing crash and they were underwater. It was fine in the sense that they weren't looking to sell immediately and they could handle it, but it did restrict their ability to move, whether into a SFH once they had more than one child and needed some more space, or to move to another city to pursue work as Americans often tend to do.
I guess if you're 40+ and have a stable job and already in the "forever home" with room enough for the entire family, being underwater is not necessarily a huge deal. But it could be a real problem for younger people or anyone who can't/won't stay put for the long term.
|
Oh yes, absolutely. Someone who bought in the past couple of years is probably stuck, especially if they don’t have much equity. It isn’t great for mobility, that’s for certain.
What I am trying to say is that a US-style crash is less likely, where demand went to near nil and large numbers of defaults/bank collapses happen because large numbers of people can’t make the payments, because they were relying on equity gains exclusively.
What I am curious about is who owns at the expensive end. A million dollar home requires significant cash up front, so is this older people who are rolling equity into a new place? It would seem to be unlikely to be a younger couple, as they are priced out.