The Highway 4/401 interchange has somehow escaped reconstruction year after year but yes I feel it's time is finally coming. With all the old 1950's overpasses replaced between the 402 and 403 finishing up, it's time to look west.
Despite the awful cloverleaf design with weird angles, the interchange seems to operate pretty well due to manageable traffic volumes. However with the rerouting of Highway 4 to run concurrent with the 401 between Wonderland and Colonel Talbot, and the Amazon facility regenerating some of the lost volume from the old Ford plant days, traffic is going to increase.
Regardless, the Highway 4 overpass needs to be replaced due to the (slowly) ongoing widening of the 401 between Tilbury and London. They could take out the loops to squeeze another lane under the existing structure like they did widening the 401 east of London, but since the structure's lifespan is ending soon you may as well replace it. Regardless, the nearby Glanworth Drive overpass needs to be removed or replaced (and that's been a debate for many years as well).
-----
Speaking of the 6 laning towards the 402, I think it was kind of short-sided to make the Wonderland interchange overpasses too narrow to support this config. Sure they left embankments for the eventual widening, but it would have been easier to just do it all at once to save another construction season - probably cheaper overall too. Guess they wanted Wonderland built as cheap as possible when it went in. It's current config is missing a couple ramps that were in the original design as well. Perhaps they can be added as part of the expansion but I doubt it.
-----
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianTalk
No kidding! My commute involved that interchange (Commissioners to NB Highbury) daily for about a year, so I was very comfortable with taking that specific merge ... in daylight hours. I remember the first time I took that merge at night time, and I could not believe how unlit and dangerous it was, so I'm glad to hear that those issues will be addressed with the rebuild.
|
Add in some slippery rain/ice/snow in addition to the pitch blackness and its downright dangerous to take these loops at night. Even some newer vehicles with headlights that can move in the direction you're steering may not light the way due to the tight radius. Adding to this, you kind of need to 🞵🞵🞵 it at the end of the loop if you want to merge in at 100 since you can't really build up speed turning so tightly. I've seen many cars in the ditch here- either taking the curves too fast or trying to Tokyo Drift around the loops or something.