Arguing against bike lanes in the 2020s is like arguing for towers in the park or more freeway interchanges downtown. Just completely — backward thinking. Cities should be for pedestrians and cyclists first and foremost and I say that as somebody who still loves driving (at least on roadtrips).
I've always been fascinated with cities and have tried to explore as many as I possibly can over the years around the world. I've found the cities that stuck with me the most are the ones I could freely move around easily without a car. Montreal, New York, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Singapore, London. The absolute standouts were the cities that I could not only walk around easily but bike as well. Tokyo, Barcelona, Amsterdam. The cities I ended up not liking at all? LA, Miami, Dubai. Turns out being stuck in freeway traffic is soul crushing (especially on vacation).
Vancouver thankfully is heading in the direction of Amsterdam, where biking is so easy that it's faster and more convenient than any other mode of transportation. Already I can bike from South Vancouver to the seawall in less time than it would take me to pull my car out of the underground, drive to my destination and then find parking. As more
and more seperated lanes are built you see more and more people of all types using them. Parents with children, elderly etc. The volume of cyclists will only continue to grow along with the bike network until we reach a place where we are at the level of where Amsterdam is today, which by the way was far from a utopia for cyclists and pedestrians only as far back as the 70s.