Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas
Even Lloyd Axworthy is against the canada day cancelation at the forks. The hyper political correctness is too much now for many voters this gives Motkaluk some wedge issue to pursue.
|
The Forks is in a tough spot. It's hard for a place rooted in Indigenous culture to pretend that everything is tickety-boo and that it's fine to have a rah-rah Canada kind of event.
For what it's worth I don't mind Canada Day becoming a bit more of a low-key event the way that it used to be. It seems that Canada Day really hit overdrive during the national unity crises in the 90s... it was felt that we had to ramp things up to be more like July 4 in the US, and the feds funded a bunch of high profile events. Before that it wasn't a huge deal, it was your standard summer long weekend. I think I liked that more than the Independence Day imitation it has evolved into, at least until recent years.