HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #301  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 11:56 AM
kph06's Avatar
kph06 kph06 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,105
And another one on Westwood's Site

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #302  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 12:18 PM
Drybrain Drybrain is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,567
Nice to see the corner occupied this way, though I do prefer the earlier design for the tallest tower. Cleaner and less busy-for-the-sake-of-it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #303  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 1:13 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,515
Kinda "meh" for me, but at least it will add housing density for the area.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #304  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 2:25 PM
Drybrain Drybrain is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Kinda "meh" for me, but at least it will add housing density for the area.
Yeah, this would be a perfectly good background building on a side street, but for a major corner like this it's underwhelming.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #305  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 2:26 PM
OliverD OliverD is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Nice to see the corner occupied this way, though I do prefer the earlier design for the tallest tower. Cleaner and less busy-for-the-sake-of-it.
Yeah, that previous design is way, way better.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #306  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 3:54 PM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,893
Some of you are absolutely hilarious in your criticisms of building design.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #307  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 4:10 PM
Saul Goode Saul Goode is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,121
Originally Posted by Drybrain
Nice to see the corner occupied this way, though I do prefer the earlier design for the tallest tower. Cleaner and less busy-for-the-sake-of-it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Yeah, that previous design is way, way better.
Huh. I prefer the newer design. Go figure.

And, to my eye at least, it makes the building look taller.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #308  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 4:36 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,987
I find buildings in Halifax are often very busy. The one on the corner doesn't have that many colours or materials but it has the "boxes" popping out in various places (why on just floors 5-7?). In any case, better for that corner now than Mister Transmission.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #309  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 5:55 PM
KMcK KMcK is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 51
Does this mean Almon Street will be getting public transit?

The new tall building reminds me of the Central Trust tower.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #310  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 6:56 PM
bartekci bartekci is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMcK View Post
Does this mean Almon Street will be getting public transit?

The new tall building reminds me of the Central Trust tower.
I don't imagine these renderings from a developer have any particular insight that has not already been shared by planning docs, so my guess is no. The stretch of Almon between Agricola and Dublin is slated for two travel lanes and two bike lanes (one lane per side) so I think that's what we can expect in the future.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #311  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 6:57 PM
bartekci bartekci is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 213
Streetscape on these new renderings looks nice.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #312  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 8:17 PM
atbw atbw is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 401
I like the industrial look of it.

I was about to say it makes for a good transition to the lower rise neighbourhood around it, but the 3 other corners of the intersection are currently parking lots.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #313  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 10:00 PM
KMcK KMcK is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatscat View Post
I don't imagine these renderings from a developer have any particular insight that has not already been shared by planning docs, so my guess is no. The stretch of Almon between Agricola and Dublin is slated for two travel lanes and two bike lanes (one lane per side) so I think that's what we can expect in the future.
I was being facetious to point out that the developer was implying an endorsement by Halifax Transit by using an image of what looks like a Halifax Transit bus running where no current route exists.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #314  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 10:23 PM
mleblanc mleblanc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 572
Yeah, hard disagree with the folks that preferred the old look of the main tower. It looks great with more glass, IMO. The building on the corner is decent - I like the warehouse style, but doesn't quite fit with the rest of the development. Not quite sure if that's a bad thing yet, but I'm excited about this development in general.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #315  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 10:26 PM
LikesBikes's Avatar
LikesBikes LikesBikes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Halifax
Posts: 314
I think it's fine looking. Not great but not bad. Like others, I think it's just cool to see so much happening in the relatively small area.

Are there any plans for developing some of those parking lots across the street from this?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #316  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 10:45 PM
Arrdeeharharharbour Arrdeeharharharbour is offline
Cap the Cut!
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Halifax
Posts: 1,157
I think it's a decent looking building. I find it interesting that the lower two levels show no retail/service signage as is often seen in renderings where the intent is comercial space.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #317  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 9:44 AM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,053
The protruding boxes are a bit odd I agree. But I do like the almost loft style design with the segmented windows.

And I also prefer the new design for the tower. I think the older design fell into the always typical Halifax design of emphasising horizontal elements on a tall building and therefore making it look fatter and squatter than it is. The new design does a better job of emphasizing the vertical articulation. I think it could still go further in that direction but its better.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #318  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 10:26 AM
bartekci bartekci is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMcK View Post
I was being facetious to point out that the developer was implying an endorsement by Halifax Transit by using an image of what looks like a Halifax Transit bus running where no current route exists.
Ah, thanks for clarifying
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #319  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 11:33 AM
teddifax's Avatar
teddifax teddifax is offline
Halifax Promoter!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Halifax
Posts: 1,115
Shoppers Drug Mart is rumoured to be a tenant!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #320  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 1:02 PM
Wannabe Economist's Avatar
Wannabe Economist Wannabe Economist is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 52
I also heard Shoppers will move into the Richmond Yards retail space. This developer also owns the Shoppers property there and once they move over he will develop that as well is my guess
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:14 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.