HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4981  
Old Posted May 31, 2022, 7:46 PM
FarmerHaight's Avatar
FarmerHaight FarmerHaight is offline
Peddling to progress
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Vancouver's West End
Posts: 1,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
This is why using flashing head and tail lights is a good idea even during the day - it draws attention to yourself even when people aren't specifically looking for you.
I think the theme of this discussion is that cyclists must be much more diligent than drivers to be safe on the road. Yes, some cyclists don't leave room for pedestrians or fail to yield, but when I am on my bike I am constantly looking for vehicles making right-end turns who aren't yielding to the bike lane, peering into side mirrors to see if someone is about to exit their vehicle and door me, breaking pre-emptively for pedestrians who stray into a bike lane because the sidewalk is full, and signaling very, very early so that drivers don't get road rage and pass me on the left when I'm turning left, etc.

The reality is, cyclists who are self-interested have to be much more diligent than drivers, and road design often does not help with this as we are pointing out with parked cars close to intersections, poorly-placed stop signs, etc. Ideally our roads should be designed so that pedestrians and cyclists are as safe as drivers or even more so, even if that inconveniences people in vehicles.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4982  
Old Posted May 31, 2022, 8:18 PM
aberdeen5698's Avatar
aberdeen5698 aberdeen5698 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
...but when I am on my bike I am constantly ... peering into side mirrors to see if someone is about to exit their vehicle and door me...
Oh, I gave up on that a long time ago. I tried looking into cars to see if there was someone inside, but with headrests and window reflections it's hard to tell, and in a line of parked cars you're having to do it continuously - it just saps your attention away from where it needs to be.

So now when I pass parked cars I give them a generous berth so that even if they do open the door they won't nail me. Sometimes on residential streets this means I hold up car traffic for a bit - when that happens I pull into a vacant spot on the curb lane and wave them by. I'd rather have someone a bit annoyed at me for 10 or 20 seconds than end up in the hospital or worse.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4983  
Old Posted May 31, 2022, 8:18 PM
Migrant_Coconut's Avatar
Migrant_Coconut Migrant_Coconut is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Kitsilano/Fairview
Posts: 10,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Yeah I have a bit of a problem with this more as a pedestrian than a driver or cyclist. I've had bikes nearly hit me and/or my son on numerous occasions.

Cyclists ripping around pedestrians because they can fit, and not slowing down and showing some acknowledgement of right of way is extremely annoying and dangerous.
Eeyup. To a pedestrian, a bike is just a different kind of car.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4984  
Old Posted May 31, 2022, 8:24 PM
WarrenC12's Avatar
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 24,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Eeyup. To a pedestrian, a bike is just a different kind of car.
Yeah it's sad coming from a group who feels victimized by cars.

I have done plenty of travel by foot, bicycle, motorcycle, and car. It's amazing the perspective you get from being a part of each group on the roads.

I see people all the time on bikes who act extremely unpredictably, confusing cars and causing chaos. I see the same from car drivers who are in left field. Just zero clue about what other people using the road are doing or expecting from typical behavior.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4985  
Old Posted May 31, 2022, 10:09 PM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
Oh, I gave up on that a long time ago. I tried looking into cars to see if there was someone inside, but with headrests and window reflections it's hard to tell, and in a line of parked cars you're having to do it continuously - it just saps your attention away from where it needs to be.

So now when I pass parked cars I give them a generous berth so that even if they do open the door they won't nail me. Sometimes on residential streets this means I hold up car traffic for a bit - when that happens I pull into a vacant spot on the curb lane and wave them by. I'd rather have someone a bit annoyed at me for 10 or 20 seconds than end up in the hospital or worse.
Considering how much the gov't gets into mandating equipment in cars I'm surprised they don't require the Hyundai features like using the radar to prevent doors being opened if there's a cyclist coming up beside the vehicle. Plus they have the blind spot monitoring that shows the rear view in the dash when you signal a turn.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4986  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 5:47 AM
scottN scottN is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
It was at this point I realized that drivers (including myself) are conditioned to look for cars, not bikes. Since then I've tried to be more vigilant specifically for bikes at intersections, and when I'm cycling I never ever trust any driver to see me, no matter who has the right of way.
I'm guilty of this too . . . when riding my bike. While keeping a sharp lookout for incoming cars, I have occasionally blown right past pedestrians waiting to cross the street. Usually it happens at traffic circles where there is less margin for error and I'm trying to look up the side street to see if there are any cars coming in. Not that it's excusable, but I think the intersection design is a contributing factor.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4987  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 1:46 PM
Lexus's Avatar
Lexus Lexus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Vancouver | BC | Canada
Posts: 2,858
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4988  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 3:52 PM
dreambrother808 dreambrother808 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I see people all the time on bikes who act extremely unpredictably, confusing cars and causing chaos. I see the same from car drivers who are in left field. Just zero clue about what other people using the road are doing or expecting from typical behavior.
Poor behaviour from cyclists, drivers, or pedestrians is rare in my experience. 99.9% of the time there are no issues.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4989  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 4:44 PM
WarrenC12's Avatar
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 24,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
Poor behaviour from cyclists, drivers, or pedestrians is rare in my experience. 99.9% of the time there are no issues.
The vast majority of time there are no issues, but I wouldn't go anywhere near 99%.

I walk by Heather and 10th a lot. It's a 4 way stop, and the intersection of two bike routes, along with a lot of pedestrians during the way. Watch who obeys what rules and who does what. It's eye opening.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4990  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 5:28 PM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Yeah it's sad coming from a group who feels victimized by cars.

I have done plenty of travel by foot, bicycle, motorcycle, and car. It's amazing the perspective you get from being a part of each group on the roads.

I see people all the time on bikes who act extremely unpredictably, confusing cars and causing chaos. I see the same from car drivers who are in left field. Just zero clue about what other people using the road are doing or expecting from typical behavior.
The issue is a lot of cyclists think they can just make their own rules (witness the rolling stop defense here). But the worst is those who will suddenly switch from being a "vehicle" to being a wannabe pedestrian. IE they'll be riding along in your lane with traffic and then suddenly decide they want to cross the road and make a turn from road to a crosswalk. It's pretty hard as a driver to plan for that. Pedestrians do something similar but are usually more cautious.

Food delivery bikes have made that way worse. They're on the road, now they're on the sidewalk now they're biking against traffic. Watch them go to score that tip !!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4991  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 5:37 PM
WarrenC12's Avatar
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 24,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
The issue is a lot of cyclists think they can just make their own rules (witness the rolling stop defense here). But the worst is those who will suddenly switch from being a "vehicle" to being a wannabe pedestrian. IE they'll be riding along in your lane with traffic and then suddenly decide they want to cross the road and make a turn from road to a crosswalk. It's pretty hard as a driver to plan for that. Pedestrians do something similar but are usually more cautious.

Food delivery bikes have made that way worse. They're on the road, now they're on the sidewalk now they're biking against traffic. Watch them go to score that tip !!
Agree with both points. Add in those electric scooters for bonus chaos and annoyance.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4992  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 9:31 PM
Migrant_Coconut's Avatar
Migrant_Coconut Migrant_Coconut is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Kitsilano/Fairview
Posts: 10,182
Ditto the seawall. Bike in the pedestrian lane? Supposed to just let it slide. Pedestrian in the bike lane? You're lucky if they only yell at you.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4993  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 3:23 AM
Klazu's Avatar
Klazu Klazu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Above Metro Vancouver clouds
Posts: 10,408
Okay, cyclists. All is forgotten following this news. Give the City some hell for the endless potholes everywhere!!

https://biv.com/article/2022/06/bicyclist-files-pothole-suit-against-city-vancouver

Other than that, too much greatness and lots of laughs on the last few pages.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4994  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 6:36 AM
aberdeen5698's Avatar
aberdeen5698 aberdeen5698 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Okay, cyclists. All is forgotten following this news. Give the City some hell for the endless potholes everywhere!!

https://biv.com/article/2022/06/bicyclist-files-pothole-suit-against-city-vancouver
If you're going after the City to make sure that the road is safe to bike on then you'd think that the priority would be to remove the cobblestones on that block. Surely they're similarly unsafe. Seems like a bit of a poor choice of bike route to me.

I feel for the cyclist, injuries are no joke. But potholes don't appear "suddenly and without warning" - the phrase used in the suit. There is something in the Motor Vehicle Act about "due care and attention", after all.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4995  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 12:02 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,804
Horseshoe Bay bike lane.

Pic by me Wed June 15th:

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4996  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 12:39 AM
Lexus's Avatar
Lexus Lexus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Vancouver | BC | Canada
Posts: 2,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Horseshoe Bay bike lane.

Pic by me Wed June 15th:

I’m sorry. But what the — is this? Photoshop?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4997  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 1:32 AM
logan5's Avatar
logan5 logan5 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mt.Pleasant - The New Downtown South
Posts: 8,182
My guess is they got so little use, they decided to redesignate the space.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4998  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2022, 1:08 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
My guess is they got so little use, they decided to redesignate the space.
Yeah, maybe for a wider sidewalk for the pandemic, but you'd think they'd change it back now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4999  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2022, 3:32 AM
madog222 madog222 is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4,216
I don't really know the area but perhaps they are waiting for additional segments to be completed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5000  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2022, 4:48 AM
Klazu's Avatar
Klazu Klazu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Above Metro Vancouver clouds
Posts: 10,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
My guess is they got so little use, they decided to redesignate the space.
Ah, that's the story of every bike lane in existence! I am happy that wasted space was reclaimed for the people. I am equally happy to know how much this single photo must rub some people.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:01 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.