Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire
On the club seat thing, if they need more, then what is preventing TNSE from moving the club seats over to between the faceoff circles on one side? It's not like existing Bud Lounge is really any kind of big deal, it's just a bar like any other in the building. They could turn the concession area behind centre ice along one side of the rink into a similar club "lounge" and make the Bud Lounge area regular seating.
CLC has fewer lower bowl seats but it has fewer of everything, because it's a smaller building. They offset that by charging fairly steep prices in the upper level.
As for the draft, it's higher profile in terms of TV coverage, but in reality it would be no more significant than any other major convention that comes to Winnipeg each year. I mean it's nice, but you don't have to move mountains to accommodate what amounts to a long weekend's worth of convention activities.
|
I don't know. Which major conventions are we talking about? Would they draw that many out-of-towners as compared to the NHL draft?
The narrowness of the building I think prevents them from having private walled-off club areas between the faceoff circles in what is now the general concession areas AND allowing flow of non-club attendees behind these club areas to allow full 360 degree access to the concourses. I think that is where small footprint of the building is a detriment. It's like what?....40 feet from the windows looking out at the streets to the portals leading to the seats. That's not nearly enough space for both enclosed club areas that are reasonably spacious and traffic flow of non-club attendees in the lower bowl.
If event level was 25 feet below the street I think they could fit a mezzanine club area on both sides of the rink between the event level and street level, but it's not...it's 19 feet. Even if it was 25 feet, I'm not sure it would be feasible anyways.
I'm sure there are some season ticket holders/corporate that are tired of paying 7,000 dollar per seat per season for cramped seating with fewer points of sales, fewer washroom fixtures per seat than all the newer arenas in the league. It is something I think they will want to address in some way in the next decade.
Anyways, it's a bit of a moot point as I think we will have to wait and see how things go with the team financially over the next few years. As you mentioned, the team is not selling out probably from a combination of COVID caution and a disappointing season. We will see how things shake out over the coming years.
As of right now, the team has only made the playoffs 4 of 11 seasons in Winnipeg. They really don't appear to be any better than Jets 1.0 considering all the advantages they enjoy that the first incarnation did not.