Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123
This one is listed in the South Suburb inventory: https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default/files/documents/city-hall/regional-council/200114rc123v.pdf
Forman-Uniacke House, built 1826.
1203-1273 Hollis Street (with a picture of the parking lot) has the comment: "The site housed Grosvenor House/The Grosvenor Hotel, which acted as both a rooming house and a proper hotel, from c. 1895 until its demolition in the 1980s".
I'm surprised these survived up to the 80's but there are seemingly so few pictures around. There are not a lot of photos from the 80's and 90's online. I guess it is too recent to be considered historic, but it was before the digital photo era.
|
Perhaps I misunderstood your post, someone123, but for clarity, 1246 Hollis, the Forman-Uniacke House (page 153 in the document you attached), still stands, now housing offices of Merit Insurance. I've only been inside the main floor reception area, but the home seems to be well maintained inside and out. It's a rarity: not only has the 196-year old building survived in much of its original state, but it is on an uncommonly large lot for an historic downtown property. (As the listing points out, the only blemish is that sitting on the southeast corner of the lot is a small concrete bunker of a building, garishly painted, housing a Persian take-out.)
The other lot you mentioned is directly across the street, occupied by a dusty parking lot, owned by Nova Scotia Power. I've searched for photos of the former Grosvenor House but haven't found any. I believe Old Dartmouth Mark is correct, this also was the location of the late, lamented Fawson Street, which I expect was removed circa 1980 when 5151 Terminal Road went up.
To Mark's point, Fawson was the most southerly east-west street between Lower Water and Hollis until Terminal Road went in, I suspect when Ocean Terminals and Halifax Station/Nova Scotia Hotel were built in the late 20s. With Terminal Road open, Fawson would have been fairly redundant. Mark's 1965 map seems to show the footprint of two small buildings between Fawson and Terminal. The 1945 city plan envisions the Hollis-Terminal-Lower Water-Fawson block as green space.