HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3661  
Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 2:28 AM
Roquentin Roquentin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 271
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3662  
Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 2:51 PM
FarmerHaight's Avatar
FarmerHaight FarmerHaight is offline
Peddling to progress
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Vancouver's West End
Posts: 1,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
What if… BRT only for the university/SIAST plus a pedestrian walkway. That would be epic- taxpayers would be furious here. It could be built to be LRT ready even !
The difference in cost for a pedestrian bridge vs. a bridge with any vehicle traffic will be significant. Plus, I am not sure a potential LRT crossing should be that far north.
__________________
“Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a bike” – John F Kennedy
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3663  
Old Posted Apr 9, 2022, 3:34 PM
canuck10 canuck10 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 41
Knox Tower

Looks like this project may proceed. The L shaped parcel for the tower has been subdivided off from the church property, paving the way for council to pass third reading to remove the heritage designation.

https://www.ckom.com/2022/04/08/council-...ent-between-saskatoon-heritage-churches/

Last edited by canuck10; Apr 9, 2022 at 10:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3664  
Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 6:51 PM
casper's Avatar
casper casper is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria
Posts: 12,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck10 View Post
Looks like this project may proceed. The L shaped parcel for the tower has been subdivided off from the church property, paving the way for council to pass third reading to remove the heritage designation.

https://www.ckom.com/2022/04/08/council-...ent-between-saskatoon-heritage-churches/
I found this comment interesting:
During a council debate in early 2021, Saskatoon Heritage Society president Peggy Sarjeant argued if the parking lot was subdivided, members of the public would not have any additional input into the future project.
That is an odd position for a Heritage society to take. Its focus should be on preserving heritage, not on creating artificial barriers to development of non-heritage property.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3665  
Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 6:53 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,140
Exciting times; looking forward to seeing what they end up proposing.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3666  
Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 5:11 PM
SaskE30 SaskE30 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 182
555 Eastlake

I'm finally able to disclose this project now that I received the zoning notice in my mailbox (I live in the area). I really hope this project goes ahead as it will really improve at section of the riverbank! But I can tell your right now there will be opposition from the inhabitants of the neighboring Riverwalk and Bridgewater Condos.

[IMG][/IMG]

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3667  
Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 5:55 PM
Crisis's Avatar
Crisis Crisis is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,333
I, too, was waiting for that one to become public. I think it will generate a lot of debate and significant opposition in the neighbourhood. The Escala fight is going to have nothing on this one. Even though there are other multi-storey buildings in the area, this is on an entirely different scale. I like how they show the currently-postponed Highpoint condo in the rendering, so that this one doesn't look quite so domineering.

Does anyone think that S.S. Pacific Imports is code for Baydo?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3668  
Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 6:30 PM
asdfgh asdfgh is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
I, too, was waiting for that one to become public. I think it will generate a lot of debate and significant opposition in the neighbourhood. The Escala fight is going to have nothing on this one. Even though there are other multi-storey buildings in the area, this is on an entirely different scale. I like how they show the currently-postponed Highpoint condo in the rendering, so that this one doesn't look quite so domineering.

Does anyone think that S.S. Pacific Imports is code for Baydo?
Looks like S.S. Pacific Imports is the Behari family who own EnviroWay and a variety of other businesses, including some in India. So who knows how much development experience they have and/or if they are partnering with others. This could be a life-long legacy project which could explain how ambitious it is.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3669  
Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 6:44 PM
roryn1 roryn1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,040
… so is downtown moving to Broadway? lol

No way this should be approved unless it’s downtown… this just opens the gateway for 30 story high rises to be built in every neighborhood except downtown lol
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3670  
Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 8:11 PM
Sask.ks Sask.ks is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 66
Here's a link to the rezoning proposal on the City website for those interested: https://www.saskatoon.ca/engage/555-eastlake-avenue-403-12th-street-east

Honestly, I can't see a project of this size getting past the Nutana NIMBYs. On top of that, they're proposing a completely new "high-density mixed use" land use be added to the OCP...seems like quite the bureaucratic hurdle given the scope and importance of the OCP.

I guess we'll see what happens! I'm willing to bet this'll get bogged down in the rezoning process for at least another year. It could end up being a similar situation to Highpoint where approval is granted then the developer never follows through.

Personally, I'm conflicted on this proposal. I love the density/scale of this, but I'd agree with roryn in that it'd be more suitable within the CBD rather than towering over the Nutana/Broadway area.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3671  
Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 8:28 PM
thebasketballgeek's Avatar
thebasketballgeek thebasketballgeek is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Rimouski, Québec
Posts: 1,672
Wow that is an impressive scale for Saskatoon especially outside of downtown I mean it could be the tallest building in the city if they use 10ft ceilings. It seems similar to when Winnipeg constructed 55 Nassau and Evergreen Towers in Osborne. I'm not sure how prevalent the NIMBYism was since I wasn't born, but here's how it looks compared to the low/midrises of Osborne VIllage. 55 Nassau is on the left and Evergreen is on the right.



Imo it not only looks well integrated to the area, but it actually enhances the area as it showcases diversity in scale and style. I believe this proposal could provide a similar dynamic.

The NIMBYs will definitely complain about the scale, but the real problem is the questionable cladding choice and frankly horrendous color composition. I also despise the decision to stagger the building, but design is subjective after all.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3672  
Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 10:02 PM
Roquentin Roquentin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 271
I'd love to see it happen. There aren't many good lots for highrises on Sask Crescent, but this is one of them. With Nutana Collegiate right behind it, and the neighborhood already full of apartments, I don't think NIMBYs have a leg to stand on (though they'll make their usual noise, I'm sure). But you know, if I wanted to build a 20-story highrise, I might think about proposing something 30 stories tall. Then, when people complained, I could lop off the top and claim to have compromised!

In all seriousness though, I think it would be a good addition to a pretty dead part of Nutana. I think it's the perfect location for something like this.

That's fantastic news about the Knox Church tower, too!

Last edited by Roquentin; Apr 12, 2022 at 12:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3673  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 3:33 AM
EarlyByrdProductions's Avatar
EarlyByrdProductions EarlyByrdProductions is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The S'toon & Marsella, Nicaragua
Posts: 285
[QUOTE=SaskE30;9595294]I'm finally able to disclose this project now that I received the zoning notice in my mailbox (I live in the area). I really hope this project goes ahead as it will really improve at section of the riverbank! But I can tell your right now there will be opposition from the inhabitants of the neighboring Riverwalk and Bridgewater Condos.

Hmm. Interesting. So my family lives right next to there.
I mean, it looks like a kid played jenga with some apartment blocks. I'm not totally opposed to the rendering, but the size of it is too much. I'm pro downtown building and having more use of the river built in a smart and strategic way, but don't think this is the best approach. I guess that means they're tearing down that amazing old house behind the park of Nutana (it was near it's end?) and something this size...can the falling riverbank even support it?
__________________
www.viyarte.com
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3674  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 5:07 AM
zeebra zeebra is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 39
If anything the foundations for a building like this will stabilize the riverbank... fingers crossed it sees the light of day
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3675  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 1:50 PM
Saskabusher Saskabusher is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 296
This'll send half of Nutana to an early grave
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3676  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 6:13 PM
cutchemist42 cutchemist42 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 114
Used to use Darcy Bear community garden and really support this project. Hope Nutana NIMBYs dont ruin this.

I always did wonder about that old house. Always figured it was an expensive lot but whenever I was gardening, it always seemed to have the sketchiest people going in and out.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3677  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 6:53 PM
cutchemist42 cutchemist42 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 114
Edit-accidentally posted twice

Last edited by cutchemist42; Apr 12, 2022 at 7:33 PM. Reason: Accidentally posted twice
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3678  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 8:31 PM
EpicPonyTime's Avatar
EpicPonyTime EpicPonyTime is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Yellowfork
Posts: 1,168
Absolutely love it. Hope the plan emerges from the incoming NIMBY firestorm somewhat intact. I could see it being scaled back significantly.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3679  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 9:47 PM
905er's Avatar
905er 905er is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,417
dare I say it, but I actually like it. Really like the scale of this project.. The design isn't going to blow your socks off but the staggered blocks of this building will provide at least some visual interest. I think this is great for Saskatoon.. and an improvement from those baydo towers currently u/c.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3680  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 12:47 AM
domthic domthic is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 10
I always imagined the future of our skyline having all the tallest buildings on the downtown side of the river to make a nice cluster but I am still in favor of new developments wherever including this one.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:10 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.