I think it's a given most of these rendered trees are never going to be in the finished product, which is why I loath seeing them in so many design renderings. It's completely disingenuous.
I see some scaffolding up on 421 7th Ave in that first shot above. Could it be they are freshening up one of our “favorite” buildings? Maybe so it can be with us for decades to come? ;-)
I see some scaffolding up on 421 7th Ave in that first shot above. Could it be they are freshening up one of our “favorite” buildings? Maybe so it can be with us for decades to come? ;-)
Still can't believe the Hotel Pennsylvania is going to be demolished for a mega-tall office building, especially in light of the pandemic and re-thinking the office. What a ridiculous waste of something that could so easily be repurposed as housing, not to mention embodied energy
Hotel Pennsylvania has been garbage for decades and barely qualifies as ‘historic’ after 50 years of botched renovations. The only reason it’s still standing is nostalgia for the building that used to be across the street.
"Hotel Pennsylvania has been garbage for decades and barely qualifies as ‘historic’ after 50 years of botched renovations. The only reason it’s still standing is nostalgia for the building that used to be across the street"
The Only reason its still standing is because of the financial crisis in 2008.. It would've been razed then for Renzo's supertall!
I don’t think the building looks good on the skyline but the building is efficiently functional, it will be an efficient hotel and convention space, good for the neighborhood, and has well orchestrated views from the inside of the building to the outside, therefore, it should be built.
Of all the things to criticize this building on, the base is not one of them
I actually find the base to be the most troubling aspect of the design. New York has such a strong tradition of streetwall, it's been coded into zoning. This stretch of 7th Avenue has a strong one.
It's why I felt the shorter version of the old tower was always a little stronger.
But times change, and we'll have what we have. Took another one of my walks around Manhattan today, and I can truthfully say that Manhattan is unmatched in the amount of old buildings that make up the cityscape.
You can build 20 glass towers around Penn Station, and it wouldn't change that fact.
More updated renderings. It appears they have done away with the lowrise wing, creating something more fitting for the streetwall. It remains a work in progress.