HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1341  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 9:54 PM
Tyrone Shoes Tyrone Shoes is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 506
What's interesting of the large anchor stores (Montgomery Wards. Sears, J.C. Penny's, Foley's, Scarbrough's, Frost Brothers, Dillards,) only two are still operating with the others being out of business or merged into another name.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1342  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 10:25 PM
Mopacs's Avatar
Mopacs Mopacs is offline
Austinite
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Austin.TX.USA
Posts: 4,624
I could be wrong but I don't think Frost Bros ever opened at Barton Creek. There was one at Northcross Mall for many years before being closing and replaced by a large Oshman's Super Sports. Though far from an anchor store, there was a Walgreen's inside Barton Creek when it opened.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1343  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 3:58 AM
austlar1 austlar1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin
Posts: 3,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
I could be wrong but I don't think Frost Bros ever opened at Barton Creek. There was one at Northcross Mall for many years before being closing and replaced by a large Oshman's Super Sports. Though far from an anchor store, there was a Walgreen's inside Barton Creek when it opened.
What department stores were in the two Dillard's locations at Barton Square? I am guessing one of them was Joske's and the other Dillard's. I believe Foley's became the current Macy's but it is all kind of a blur. I think the Foley's to Macy's switch was right around the time I arrived in Austin in 1996.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1344  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 6:20 AM
kingkirbythe....'s Avatar
kingkirbythe.... kingkirbythe.... is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,594
Macy's (Federated) didn't buy Foley's (May) until the Aughts. I think 2005. Now if the physical stores at Barton Creek played musical chairs in '96, I don't know.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1345  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 1:11 PM
Mopacs's Avatar
Mopacs Mopacs is offline
Austinite
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Austin.TX.USA
Posts: 4,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
What department stores were in the two Dillard's locations at Barton Square? I am guessing one of them was Joske's and the other Dillard's. I believe Foley's became the current Macy's but it is all kind of a blur. I think the Foley's to Macy's switch was right around the time I arrived in Austin in 1996.
Dillard's took over the old Scarborough's department store building in the late 80s I believe, becoming a separate Men's and Children's store. The original/main Dillard's store remains where it is today.

https://www.simon.com/mall/barton-creek-square/map/#/location/dillards-men-and-children/profile
https://southernretail.blogspot.com/2011/05/barton-creek-square-mall.html

This is the building that originally housed the Scarborough's



The Montgomery Ward's store at Barton Creek closed in 2001 (as with the rest of the chain) and was replaced about 2 years later by the Nordstrom. They completely tore down the MW store and built the Nordstrom from the ground up.

The only Joske's we had in Austin was at Highland Mall. Dillard's took over that store in the late 80s as well.

http://mall-hall-of-fame.blogspot.com/2009/06/highland-mall-airport-boulevard-and.html
https://www.statesman.com/picture-galler...ghland-mall-through-the-years/957472007/



As for Foley's, they were all converted to Macy's around 2006, which included the Highland and Lakeline Mall stores in addition to Barton Creek. Foley's was also set to open as one of the anchors at the Domain but instead opened as a Macy's (about a year following the conversion of the other stores).

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/stories/2005/04/18/daily29.html

Last edited by Mopacs; Mar 29, 2022 at 1:33 PM. Reason: Additional information
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1346  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 4:03 AM
austlar1 austlar1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin
Posts: 3,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
Dillard's took over the old Scarborough's department store building in the late 80s I believe, becoming a separate Men's and Children's store. The original/main Dillard's store remains where it is today.

https://www.simon.com/mall/barton-creek-square/map/#/location/dillards-men-and-children/profile
https://southernretail.blogspot.com/2011/05/barton-creek-square-mall.html

This is the building that originally housed the Scarborough's



The Montgomery Ward's store at Barton Creek closed in 2001 (as with the rest of the chain) and was replaced about 2 years later by the Nordstrom. They completely tore down the MW store and built the Nordstrom from the ground up.

The only Joske's we had in Austin was at Highland Mall. Dillard's took over that store in the late 80s as well.

http://mall-hall-of-fame.blogspot.com/2009/06/highland-mall-airport-boulevard-and.html
https://www.statesman.com/picture-galler...ghland-mall-through-the-years/957472007/



As for Foley's, they were all converted to Macy's around 2006, which included the Highland and Lakeline Mall stores in addition to Barton Creek. Foley's was also set to open as one of the anchors at the Domain but instead opened as a Macy's (about a year following the conversion of the other stores).

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/stories/2005/04/18/daily29.html
Excellent info. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1347  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2022, 9:35 PM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
Meh
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Austin<--->Birmingham<--->Atlanta
Posts: 55,833

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Apr 3, 2022 at 5:00 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1348  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 11:30 PM
DougRockstead's Avatar
DougRockstead DougRockstead is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 300
Zima?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1349  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 11:33 PM
DougRockstead's Avatar
DougRockstead DougRockstead is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
Long video but lots of great driving footage from around the city in 1993. It's an outsider's perspective.

• Video Link
ZIma? tha video takes me back. Almost 30 years ago. yeesh!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1350  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 4:58 PM
MallRat2020's Avatar
MallRat2020 MallRat2020 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Round Rock
Posts: 32
Oh wow, such memories! I love this place!

I remember the old Scarborough's in Highland Mall. My grandmother would take us and she used to have a charge account there. They knew her by name lol. We'd get Christmas decorations from there and they used to have the prettiest tinsel I've ever seen on Christmas trees. The sliver would shimmer so much you could see it outside the store. Maybe it was the way the lights were positioned lol.

I always wondered about that photo of Joske's above. I've seen that around the internet here and there. As mentioned, Dillard's took over in the mid-80s but the cars in that parking lot photo look at least early 90s. I wonder if the name "Joske's" was photoshopped on the outside of that building photo just for kicks since it resided in that same part of the mall. I remember the old Joske's there had black and blue font in the name at one point (like the old Penny's on the other side of the mall) and it was over the main entrance facing Airport. I thought the outside upper area had it in the mid-section, but hey, I'm old, who knows lol.

On the topic of these historic stores, I recommend a book in the "Images of America" series that came out awhile back called "Foley's" by Lasker Meyer. It gives a nice history of the Foley's brand and Federated Department Stores in general. A photo of it is below from the Arcadia publishing site:



Remember the Foley's Red Apple Day sales? Lots of our back-to-school clothes were purchased during those sales.

I was reminiscing with my kids about Luby's in Highland Mall. There used to be a smoking and non-smoking section (like many restaurants at the time) and they'd have those glass ashtrays on the tables. The attendants would come by to offer you water or coffee refills on the push carts. I always remember the graham cracker crust cheesecake and the fresh hot rolls. Best fried fish I ever had at a cafeteria! The walls in the wait area had brownish carpeting on them and sometimes, depending on the time of day / night, the lines would stretch out to the main mall. Funny the little things you remember in time.

Hope you all are doing well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1351  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2022, 6:38 AM
LoneStarMike's Avatar
LoneStarMike LoneStarMike is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Austin -> Tyler, TX
Posts: 2,325
A "Before & After."

May 2, 2008:



14 years later

April 23, 2022

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1352  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2022, 12:26 PM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
JACKinBeantown
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 9,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
A "Before & After."
Wow. Even the "before" is several buildings after I lived in Austin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1353  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 5:27 AM
corvairkeith's Avatar
corvairkeith corvairkeith is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,483
This came up in my facebook memories, eight years ago today.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1354  
Old Posted May 4, 2022, 9:41 AM
Tyrone Shoes Tyrone Shoes is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 506
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1355  
Old Posted May 4, 2022, 2:13 PM
kingkirbythe....'s Avatar
kingkirbythe.... kingkirbythe.... is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,594
No offense to Wilbur Clark, but what a terrible name for a hotel.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1356  
Old Posted May 4, 2022, 2:32 PM
We vs us We vs us is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 3,601
The lack of tree cover along the lake during this time is just amazing to me. So much of what I consider Austin's DT charm has to do with what a great tree-lined amenity the lake is. Just crazy that it didn't exist not too long ago.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1357  
Old Posted May 4, 2022, 2:55 PM
Geckos_Rule's Avatar
Geckos_Rule Geckos_Rule is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Austin
Posts: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
No offense to Wilbur Clark, but what a terrible name for a hotel.
It seems terrible, but I almost like it because of that. Nothing against larger hotel brands, but it's one thing to have a bunch of different Marriott and Hilton-owned brands, and another to have some random boutique hotels around town as well. Austin has them, but certainly none as large as this one (even if the Line isn't a "big" chain). It adds a bit of charm that separates a city from having the same selection as Phoenix or Orlando....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1358  
Old Posted May 4, 2022, 9:08 PM
Maximusx1's Avatar
Maximusx1 Maximusx1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
The lack of tree cover along the lake during this time is just amazing to me. So much of what I consider Austin's DT charm has to do with what a great tree-lined amenity the lake is. Just crazy that it didn't exist not too long ago.
Totally agree, it always amazes me to see. I love the old picture of Lady Bird standing on the Shoal Creek peninsula pointing back towards the bank and I can hear her saying "Look how — ugly that is. Somebody plant some — trees over there!"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1359  
Old Posted May 4, 2022, 11:23 PM
Armybrat Armybrat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoes View Post
My best friend honeymooned with his bride there for New Year’s Eve 1966.
It was the swankiest hotel in town.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1360  
Old Posted May 5, 2022, 6:20 PM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
JACKinBeantown
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 9,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
No offense to Wilbur Clark, but what a terrible name for a hotel.
Better name than the Robert E. Lee Hotel in San Antonio.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:03 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.