HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5981  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 10:25 PM
David_99's Avatar
David_99 David_99 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 852
I’m not sure if this is more “Downtown” or “Retail”, but my wife has heard the La Teraz Wedding Venue on Church St is becoming a Nordic Spa.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5982  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 9:22 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,296
First Look at the New K-8 Anglophone School to be Built Across From BMHS

I know this is not really downtown, but the west end of the city is in a bit of a gray area, not really inclusive of the other neighbourhood threads. It is still within the Wheeler Blvd beltway, so I think it could still be considered downtown in a way.......

This building will be a replacement for Bessborough and Hillcrest schools, and the catchment will include the old and new west ends, and Centennial Place.

Site Plan:


As you can see, this building will directly face the main entrance to BMHS, but will have it's own vehicle drop off and parking spaces.

Renderings:




Not a bad looking school, but I'm not too sure about the colour palette. The lot also seems a little crowded (especially in contrast to several recently built francophone schools).
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5983  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 2:41 AM
Monctoncore Monctoncore is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,274
Location is still terrible, this province will do everything possible to rid the cores of their schools and move them to the least friendly locations.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5984  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 2:59 AM
Sumater Sumater is offline
Throbbing Mass
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Dartmouth, NS
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
Location is still terrible, this province will do everything possible to rid the cores of their schools and move them to the least friendly locations.
I don't think it's malice. I think it's a mixture of cheap land and sloppiness.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5985  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2022, 3:43 AM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,296
It appears that there is finally some activity occurring at the site of the new Harley-Davidson dealership on West Main Street. There appear to be workers on site......
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5986  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2022, 4:00 PM
josh_cat_eyes's Avatar
josh_cat_eyes josh_cat_eyes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 2,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumater View Post
I don't think it's malice. I think it's a mixture of cheap land and sloppiness.
I think French schools also get a location priority. Sloppiness for sure. Take the north end for example. 15 years ago it became clear that it was the fastest growing area in Moncton. The city and land owners should have created a plan for the area that included land set aside for schools and parks instead of having subdivisions eventually encroach on all the available land. There is still land off of Ryan near Hildegard for a new High School but it will likely be built somewhere stupid like off of Gorge Road or Mapleton Road.

Honestly the location of Bernice MacNaughton doesn’t make any sense either. It was a legacy building that the province already owned. The only high school with a decent location is Riverview and even then they tried to make it as inaccessible as possible.

I don’t even want to get into building the schools so small that within 5 years they need multiple portables. That’s just idiocy. A severe lack of planning and foresight over the last 50 has led to the mess we’re in today.
__________________
We The People
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5987  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2022, 4:38 PM
SevenSquared SevenSquared is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Dieppe
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I think French schools also get a location priority. Sloppiness for sure. Take the north end for example. 15 years ago it became clear that it was the fastest growing area in Moncton. The city and land owners should have created a plan for the area that included land set aside for schools and parks instead of having subdivisions eventually encroach on all the available land. There is still land off of Ryan near Hildegard for a new High School but it will likely be built somewhere stupid like off of Gorge Road or Mapleton Road.

Honestly the location of Bernice MacNaughton doesn’t make any sense either. It was a legacy building that the province already owned. The only high school with a decent location is Riverview and even then they tried to make it as inaccessible as possible.

I don’t even want to get into building the schools so small that within 5 years they need multiple portables. That’s just idiocy. A severe lack of planning and foresight over the last 50 has led to the mess we’re in today.
Agree with all of that except your very first statement. All the new francophone schools are just as isolated from more densely populated parts of the city as the new anglophone school. Look at Antonine Maillet, Le Sommet, Odyssée/Mascaret. At best maybe 5% of students are within walking distance from these schools, and it's not like that number will be growing significantly anytime soon.

I honestly don't get how these decisions can be rationalized, Moncton has a virtually unlimited supply of vacant land in and around the city centre. The province has absolutely no justification for exclusively giving us these big box schools in the outer fringes of suburbia while eliminating urban schools.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5988  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2022, 5:13 PM
josh_cat_eyes's Avatar
josh_cat_eyes josh_cat_eyes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 2,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSquared View Post
Agree with all of that except your very first statement. All the new francophone schools are just as isolated from more densely populated parts of the city as the new anglophone school. Look at Antonine Maillet, Le Sommet, Odyssée/Mascaret. At best maybe 5% of students are within walking distance from these schools, and it's not like that number will be growing significantly anytime soon.

I honestly don't get how these decisions can be rationalized, Moncton has a virtually unlimited supply of vacant land in and around the city centre. The province has absolutely no justification for exclusively giving us these big box schools in the outer fringes of suburbia while eliminating urban schools.
Those particular French school are located in growing areas tho. They were built before the population of those areas has really increased. While I agree there could have been better location for some of them, I think École Le Sommet is one of the better located schools in the city.
__________________
We The People
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5989  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 2:08 PM
habs33's Avatar
habs33 habs33 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 644
Mayor Arnold posted on her Instragram that the old jail on Assumption is being torn down today.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CbKoedCujb-/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5990  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 2:13 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,296


Interesting, but it might be presumptuous to read too much into this. By tearing down the jail, this reduces the tax burden on Ashford, and frees up the land for parking until the major Downing Street redevelopment project commences.

I suppose the city could get started on phase two of Downing this year, but I would be surprised to see any shovels in the ground for Ashford's project this year.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5991  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 2:35 PM
CreamOfpumpkin CreamOfpumpkin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 37
I am not on Instagram so I am not sure if she posts about the cities demos often. It is a little bit suspect that she post something on the demo knowing that this parcel of land is earmarked for big development. This could be nothing, but also could have some significance for sure. I vote for the ladder.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5992  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 3:02 PM
Monctoncore Monctoncore is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamOfpumpkin View Post
I am not on Instagram so I am not sure if she posts about the cities demos often. It is a little bit suspect that she post something on the demo knowing that this parcel of land is earmarked for big development. This could be nothing, but also could have some significance for sure. I vote for the ladder.

I can verify that she doesn’t, I follow her on Instagram and she doesn’t post construction photos or demolition photos ever. 99% of her photos are over the city trails and then the occasional ceremony.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5993  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 3:14 PM
NBNYer's Avatar
NBNYer NBNYer is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Moncton
Posts: 1,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamOfpumpkin View Post
I am not on Instagram so I am not sure if she posts about the cities demos often. It is a little bit suspect that she post something on the demo knowing that this parcel of land is earmarked for big development. This could be nothing, but also could have some significance for sure. I vote for the ladder.
Maybe but it could also be that the site just happened to be visible from city hall and made for an easy photo.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5994  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 3:52 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
I can verify that she doesn’t, I follow her on Instagram and she doesn’t post construction photos or demolition photos ever. 99% of her photos are over the city trails and then the occasional ceremony.
I have just been made aware (by contacts beyond the realm of the forum) that there is speculation out there that Ashford may in fact be accelerating his plans for the Downing Street project. Perhaps Mayor Arnold is telegraphing that there is something afoot.

Also, it is interesting to note that a crane rental company in Dieppe has just announced they are adding multiple cranes to their inventory because of increasing demand.

Coincidence???? Hmmmmm..........
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5995  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 4:20 PM
CreamOfpumpkin CreamOfpumpkin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 37
Yea definitely not a coincidence! the mayor is definitely saying something without saying something. Timing is everything, I was looking up prices of cranes and they are a huge investment. It would make sense if the developer were to sign a multi-year rental agreement, maybe they could take that to the bank for a business loan. We know the demand is high for these cranes, but in our current economic environment, I don't know if a rental company would want to be holding a bag if for whatever reason developers dry up or projects delay. This is most certainly good news.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5996  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 4:20 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,296
Mayor Arnold also posted the photo on Facebook too, with the quote "making room for #MonctonMomentum"

Again, Hmmmmmmm.........
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5997  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 5:08 PM
jonny golden jonny golden is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 2,960
Ashford made their big land purchase in 2019, and they've sat on the old jail property all this time. It would seem to make sense that they would demolish it when they were ready to proceed with a development. I wouldn't be surprised to see activity south of Assomption Place this summer. But to what extent is the question.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5998  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 6:02 PM
Mud's Avatar
Mud Mud is offline
Mud
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 82
My optimistic guess would be that some news will coincide with the budget next week. Something of this scale is definitely going to attract provincial investment just like Fundy Quay in SJ.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5999  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 11:25 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,296
CBC article about the above:

Former Moncton jail demolished
Assomption Boulevard location purchased in 2019 by development firm
Shane Magee · CBC News · Posted: Mar 16, 2022 4:15 PM AT | Last Updated: 4 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-bruns...molition-ashford-redevelopment-1.6387055



The CBC reporter was also apparently intrigued by the cryptic comment made by Her Worship in the caption accompanying the photo she posted on Facebook:

Quote:
"Great to see the 'old jail' coming down — making room for #MonctonMomentum!" Moncton Mayor Dawn Arnold said on social media.
When asked to respond, Ashford issued a terse "no comment".

Mud may be correct. Perhaps something more official will be announced with the provincial budget............
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6000  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2022, 12:23 AM
Monctoncore Monctoncore is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,274
Even if nothing happens right away and it’s left empty for a bit, I think it will look much better downtown. The building just didn’t fit in and let’s now hope we will here some bigger news soon!
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:24 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.