I watched the part of the council session about HRDL's proposal, and all I can say is yikes!
So, HRDL put forward an alternate proposal that didn't include the library, after council voted against an extension of the proposal that did include the library.
Mayor MacDougall mentioned that council wanted a new proposal from HRDL for the property, without the library, based on discussion in council, though no motion was put forward.
The motion being voted on this time was to put out an RFP for the CBRM owned land, although it was brought up that the last RFP only had one respondent (they kept calling it an exclusivity agreement, but that's not really what it is if a general RFP was put out that only one developer responds to).
The conversation at the previous council meeting led HRDL to believe that another proposal would be entertained - confirmed by CAO and the developer. HRDL asked the CAO if they could give them a new proposal sans library that would be considered by council, which the CAO brought to an in-camera session that turned into the motion for RFP in this session because council didn't want to discuss the proposal out of view of the public (about the only part I agree with in the circumstances). All of the dealings between developer and staff were confirmed as normal with many business groups in the area, and that staff doesn't make decisions but brings those to council, as was done in this case. There was actually no discussion on the proposal itself, and no presentation made, only questions asked about whether the previous council session had led the developer to believe another proposal would be entertained, which was confirmed repeatedly.
Mayor MacDougall mentioned an email written to council asking to consider a new proposal from HRDL, sent prior to the expiration date of the previous agreement. However, she did not mention when the email was sent beyond it being sent before the expiration date.
HRDL proposal was for a commercial and residential development on HRDL and CBRM land, the latter to be purchased by HRDL at market price.
Prior to the initial agreement, HRDL had approval and permits for an apartment building on their land (different from the ones listed in my last post), but scrapped the plans for this when CBRM asked for proposals that would include the library.
Deputy mayor MacMullin's stance didn't surprise me in the least. She was one of the most vocal ones against the old agreement. Councillor Gordon MacDonald did surprise me though, as he was the one wanting the library proposal to go ahead when it was voted down last time, and voted no when council was asked if they would allow the developer (in the gallery) to answer questions, and tried to prevent further questions from being asked of the developer.
Honestly, I agree with sending out RFPs to see which developers are interested and what comes back. However, with the description of events provided during this council session, and the fighting and interruptions that happened at this council session, they definitely don't look very good on this one in my opinion. The
only redeeming thing I saw from this was that they tried to respectfully slap HRDL in the face, not realizing that there's no way to do that respectfully.
I would like to say this is my last post ranting on council's decisions regarding this property, but I have a feeling this drama will be playing out for a while to come.
I have a feeling council will be walking back to HRDL with their tail between their legs on this one, though I hope, for their sake, that I'm wrong. Even if they do get proposals, the HRDL land will remain vacant unless Chernin changes his mind and decides to deal with this council again.
I know one news outlet that won't be touching this, as she's notoriously anti-Chernin (actually anti-downtown development beyond kiosks - she's even been vocally against the NSCC development, both placement and scale), and that's the Cape Breton Spectator. She's probably jumping for joy hearing all this news.