Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24
Haven't they already talked about changing 6th st? I'm pretty sure that's been thrown around here a lot. Making 6th st a more "family oriented" kind of place.
To each their own. I don't like 6th st now. And I still won't like it if they made it touristy like that. I mean, it kinda is already touristy.
|
Why do so many "improvements" have to be "family oriented"? There's nothing wrong with non-family oriented improvements. Not everyone has children. Even people with children want non-children oriented places to go sometimes.
It doesn't need to be completely reinvented. It wouldn't really be 6th Street anymore if it was. It should remain an "entertainment district", but it shouldn't only serve one type of entertainment either. For it to be it's most prosperous and "healthy", it should be many things with many uses to many people (This includes shot bars that some of us might not go to).
As with many parts of downtown, more daytime usage would be helpful for sure. It would be nice to see of the live music venues that left come back in. The night market idea what was talked about before could be great if done right. I think a food hall that served breakfast, lunch, dinner, after 2am crowds could be wildly successful here. More artsy/non-music performance uses would be great (if they could be as popular Esther's anyway. A comedy club at the Ritz seems like a good step in that direction). Etc.
Also, it's been a tourist magnet for quite some time, I would never expect that to change. It's also been a magnet for the younger crowd since forever, there's no reason for that to change either.