HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 9:10 PM

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hyp_/4520837185
towers that stand by themselves don't seem out of place as you can see in this picture of the skyline in Hamburg, Germany. I agree that for now the granary district should mostly stay midrises and highrises should stay focused in downtown, but i would not be opposed to a couple 10-20 story buildings in that area.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessnem View Post

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hyp_/4520837185
towers that stand by themselves don't seem out of place as you can see in this picture of the skyline in Hamburg, Germany. I agree that for now the granary district should mostly stay midrises and highrises should stay focused in downtown, but i would not be opposed to a couple 10-20 story buildings in that area.
I know I'm just one person and it's only my opinion but that tower in Hamburg stands out fairly awkwardly to me. I also find the 844' Devon Energy Tower in OKC to standout with the next tallest being about 350' shorter.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 6:47 PM

Agreed. /\/\/\

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 9:34 PM

Agree, and awkward would be the perfect description imo.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 10:09 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

After looking at some of these various downtowns, I'm falling into the camp that says high-rises should remain in the downtown core. I don't mind buildings that are a few stories tall in the outlying sections of the city, but overall, the taller the building is, the closer it should be to the core.

I DON'T mind multiple high-rise cores in a single geographic area. Like, I'd be fine if Sandy had a downtown area with some 2 or 300 footers (or even higher, maybe) in a dense "downtown" core area. Same thing goes for Ogden, Provo, etc. But it would just be weird to see a bunch of relatively tall buildings grouped together in a downtown core area like SLC, and then there's this awkwardly tall loner several blocks away. Super weird looking, IMO.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 12:51 AM
Ironweed

[QUOTE=Reeder113;9520531]After looking at some of these various downtowns, I'm falling into the camp that says high-rises should remain in the downtown core. I don't mind buildings that are a few stories tall in the outlying sections of the city, but overall, the taller the building is, the closer it should be to the core.

If this is the case, SLC better start building a lot taller in the Core. Running out of locations. 'Squat Lake' could then be a permanent reality. Otherwise extend the D-1 zoning. I always thought the D-1 area was too small.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 1:03 AM

Ya’ll act as if a 250-300ft building within a mile or so of the D-1 will radically stand out in 10-20 years once the area is more built out. No ones asking for the Devon tower to be built outside of D-1.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 3:15 AM
Eschew Obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeographer View Post
Ya’ll act as if a 250-300ft building within a mile or so of the D-1 will radically stand out in 10-20 years once the area is more built out. No ones asking for the Devon tower to be built outside of D-1.
Hey man, I am the world's greatest expert on my own opinion.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 4:23 AM
They all float down here

Good thing no one is saying we should build an 800 foot tower lmao

Some of the strawman arguments you people come up with level me.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 4:35 AM

Honestly, they could build something the size of San Francisco's Salesforce Tower on the Sears block and that would be fine with me, in fact, it would be amazing. Not going to happen, of course, but it would really be something!
I remember driving through Minneapolis in the mid 1970's and seeing the massive IDS Tower dwarfing everything around it. Go to Minneapolis nowadays and the city has grown up around it.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 6:37 AM

“Skyscraper” forum, huh?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 11:20 AM

Utah State History Museum

This Utah Capitol complex building will be demolished. Here's what is slated to replace it

https://www.ksl.com/article/50338570...-to-replace-it

A segment of the article:

Quote:
The Utah Legislature is working to fund a new five-story, 151,535-square-foot building just north of the Utah Capitol that would give the collection the permanent home that state historians have requested for years. In addition to the museum, the building plan calls for a new conference center, office space, 400 parking stalls and electric vehicle charging stations.

However, its most distinctive feature is the space set aside for a state history museum and history collection area, It's a building that will give Utahns a chance to see pieces of the state's past they may have never seen before. Jennifer Ortiz, the director of the Utah Division of State History, is excited about that prospect, calling Utah's history collection "truly incredible."

"It's such an incredible opportunity — a once-in-a-generation opportunity," she told KSL.com. "To get to participate in thinking about how we can highlight the state's history and the collections is really just a beautiful gift that we can give to the state and to Utahns."

The massive project will replace the aging and abandoned State Office Building that was constructed over 60 years ago. The old building is slated to be torn down in mid-August, according to Jim Russell, the director of the Utah Division of Facilities and Construction Management. Construction of the new building should begin in the fall.

The entire project is estimated to cost $219 million, with $110 million coming over from money saved from the construction of the new Utah State Prison, Russell said. Gov. Spencer Cox has requested that $85 million go toward the North Capitol project, with another $7 million in ongoing funds, according to his 2023 budget. As of Monday, SB6, the legislative bill that covers all sorts of infrastructure and general government spending, lists $68 million toward the project.

It's unclear whether the proposed funds in SB6 would complete the remaining cost of the project.

There are also economic variables that can change the total cost of the project.

"Of course, we are concerned with the continued escalation of the construction market due to labor and material shortages," Russell added, in an email to KSL.com.

Still, the new building is now projected to open in either late 2025 or early 2026 — about 12 to 18 months later than originally anticipated because of earthquake mitigation work that is expected to lengthen the project timeline, Ortiz said.

The delay, however, puts the building right on track to open just in time for a major nationwide celebration.
I am so excited!! We have known that something has been brewing to replace the State Office Building for a while as well as that the State has been contemplating building a Utah State Museum for some time now. BSL reported as far back as 2016 that it was once considered for the Station Center redevelopment project, though that clearly never panned out.

I had hoped such a museum would be closer to City Hall, City Library, and The Leonardo - helping to further expand the Civic Center aspect of the area (all of our museums are unfortunately super spread out from each other, and this will be yet another one).

I still think a Utah State History Museum would be the perfect place to locate the Utah (Pantages) Theater skylight so that it would be much more accessible to the public than have it be used in a private residential tower. Heck, some of the chandeliers, some of the plasterwork (if preservable) or other detailing elements from the theater could possibly even be reused. If we are going to lose the theater, it would be at least nice to see some of the artifacts from it incorporated into the museum's design.

I'd argue incorporating at least a few elements would be a very nice and a somewhat healing move by the city and the state for those that aren't radical, but are still very sad to see the theater demolished.

Here's hoping those involved reads some of these posts and agrees.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 3:43 PM
Space Magi

Exciting news about the Capitol! I agree that the new museum would be a great place for the Pantages ornaments, though it may be too late for that. Also sounds like the Rio Grande Depot will be empty and ready to become a train station again!

Looks like Utah Football wants to add another, larger indoor practice facility. (PDF of plan)

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 7:37 PM

Very excited about a State History Museum as well -- many states have them, and many of those are adjacent to their capitol/complexes.

I've also been to so many meetings in the old state office building that I'm pretty sure I can permanently smell the mildew and ammonia they try to use to cover it up. It's time for it to go.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Good thing no one is saying we should build an 800 foot tower lmao

Some of the strawman arguments you people come up with level me.
What's your argument that isn't a "strawman" argument, ie. I just love skyscrapers because they are cool and they should be as tall as they can be and built anywhere except in my backyard?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 10:18 PM

From Save The Utah Pantages Facebook Page:

Quote:
It’s going to be a bright future! ������

I know the demolition permits being filed is some upsetting news, but I really want to make sure we all stay happy, positive, and optimistic here. We're united together.

We have multiple attorneys working very hard for us right now and the @slcmayor @slcrda and @hines are getting more and more desperate by the day. They are trying to shove this through and just do whatever they can right now to destroy the theater as that is their only option available here. But there are so many eyes watching all of this.

Once this is all halted, this fight will take on a very different light as more and more aspects of their backroom dealings are brought out of the darkness and examined under a microscope.

The truth is a harsh mistress as they say haha

In other exciting news, we met up with our amazing architect this week who is back at it working on the restoration blueprints of our grand visions for the theater's future. It is going to be insane and I'm really looking forward to continue to put all the pieces together. He is also looking into 3d printing a Pantages model of the full restored theater. Can't wait to see that! ������

And as for me, I am currently writing an entire business plan from scratch for the Utah Pantages Cinematic Theatre. I've already been speaking with investors who are really passionate about the community, film, the arts, and building something special here...This is about keeping the Pantages around for another century and beyond. It will be here long after we're all gone. ������

I’m rooting for the Pantages. Would definitely be an upgrade for Sundance too.

Last edited by Old&New; Feb 2, 2022 at 3:24 AM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 2:16 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
What's your argument that isn't a "strawman" argument, ie. I just love skyscrapers because they are cool and they should be as tall as they can be and built anywhere except in my backyard?
I mean, you can look up what I've said on this topic the last week or so - I have no problem with a 15-20 or so story tower being developed in this area.

That's a pretty concrete point of view and not remotely close to me advocating for massive towers being developed in this area of the city lmao

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 7:25 AM

Video Link

I admit, I am surprised that they were surprised. This project has been known for about 2 years now, at least on this site and from BSL.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 5:41 PM

Just an FYI, the tower cams have been undergoing some maintenance, which has some of them offline temporarily. It also looks like the site that was hosting them has gone offline, so I moved them to mine at https://mattblank.org.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 5:55 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbutah View Post
Just an FYI, the tower cams have been undergoing some maintenance, which has some of them offline temporarily. It also looks like the site that was hosting them has gone offline, so I moved them to mine at https://mattblank.org.
I was wondering about those. Thanks for doing that!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West