HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #18941  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 3:25 PM
Martin Mtl's Avatar
Martin Mtl Martin Mtl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,075

Photo: Steve Knezevic on Facebook
     
     
  #18942  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 3:46 PM
Nouvellecosse's Avatar
Nouvellecosse Nouvellecosse is online now
Volatile Pacivist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 11,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Yeah I've never heard of any of this either.
     
     
  #18943  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 6:14 PM
Rico Rommheim's Avatar
Rico Rommheim Rico Rommheim is offline
Look at me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Bagels
Posts: 13,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post

Photo: Steve Knezevic on Facebook
Hamilton 2.0
     
     
  #18944  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 6:19 PM
Masoliantekw's Avatar
Masoliantekw Masoliantekw is offline
le Gibraltar d'Amérique
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Québec, QC
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
This is one of my favourite angles of Québec. I am always impressed, when driving back to the city on Dufferin-Montmorency Hwy from the Côte-de-Beaupré, after the St. Charles river bridge, the city appears like that.
     
     
  #18945  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 6:24 PM
JHikka's Avatar
JHikka JHikka is offline
ハルウララ
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Yeah I've never heard of any of this either.
ICE condos have an incredibly bad rap on social media, particularly TikTok. I'm guessing most people under 30 are at least aware of the stories. Think the last video I saw was of people saying the fire alarms were going off every night and that the bomb squad was called one night.

"One Toronto resident, Kylene Loucks, recently shared her experience living in the condo building, located at 12 York Street, in two videos posted on TikTok.

The videos, which collectively have garnered just shy of 2.5 million views, show a slew of concerning issues from fire alarms going off in the middle of the night to multiple shootings that left bullet holes in the building.

In her first TikTok, Loucks says she moved into ICE Condos in July 2020, and in just a year’s time, she captured a surprising amount of footage of issues that no resident would want to deal with.

According to Loucks, on her first weekend at the condo building, a fire alarm went off at 5 am, adding that these early morning fire alarms became a regular weekend occurrence. She also showed footage of residents lining up for the elevator, saying only one was operational to serve all 29 floors of the building.

...

The most concerning clips though were the multiple shootings, including one alleged shooting on March 6 where Loucks says 11 shots were fired. In her second TikTok, Loucks includes clips of a bomb squad van and an emergency task force team outside of the condo building."


https://dailyhive.com/toronto/ice-condos-tiktok

Supposedly the building is very popular with AirBNB rentals which they eventually cracked down on.
     
     
  #18946  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 6:26 PM
Monolith's Avatar
Monolith Monolith is offline
Pacific Breeze
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southwestern British Columbia
Posts: 1,234
     
     
  #18947  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 7:15 PM
905er's Avatar
905er 905er is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masoliantekw View Post
This is one of my favourite angles of Québec. I am always impressed, when driving back to the city on Dufferin-Montmorency Hwy from the Côte-de-Beaupré, after the St. Charles river bridge, the city appears like that.
The foreground of this picture is everything! love this pic. ugly towers.. but I kinda like the little bit of dinginess they represent. have a mentioned I'm in love with Quebec City?
     
     
  #18948  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 7:30 PM
FrAnKs's Avatar
FrAnKs FrAnKs is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ville de Québec / Quebec city
Posts: 5,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by 905er View Post
The foreground of this picture is everything! love this pic. ugly towers.. but I kinda like the little bit of dinginess they represent. have a mentioned I'm in love with Quebec City?
Believe me, when you live here you get used to those towers and even tend to forget they are kinda ugly
     
     
  #18949  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 7:40 PM
Rico Rommheim's Avatar
Rico Rommheim Rico Rommheim is offline
Look at me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Bagels
Posts: 13,933
I think I've had an evolution, but I don't find these skyscrapers to be ugly at all.

The Édifice Marie-Guyart is a great Brutalist tower.


https://imagespatrimoine.ville.quebec.qc.ca/batiment/6000-6999/6107/web_03Q_E10S44SS1D78-428PA1.jpg

Is it a bit massive next to the national assembly? Sure, but its a powerful looking building, and since it is home to the bulk of the Quebec gvt, its aesthetic makes sense.

The Édifice d'Youville is a rather pleasant modern building that would be appreciated in anybody's downtown, I find.


https://www.archiseek.com/wp-content/gallery/canada-qc-quebec/tower_lge.jpg

The Delta is banal if anything, and is probably at its worst at ground level, but from a distance is looks like a respectable 20th century modern highrise.



The National Bank building is another quite ordinary modernist piece...


https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/af/Place_de_la_Capitale%2C_Qu%C3%A9bec.jpg

These modern towers indicate that Quebec, and Quebec's national capital is not a museum or set-piece city, but is a city that is in constant flux and evolution.
Or at least it was.

What I like about the Quebec skyline is the brash mix of modern (brutalist, especially) with the wide selection of older buildings. It's a completely unique skyline. There are no others anywhere in North America, or even the world.
     
     
  #18950  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 7:50 PM
FrAnKs's Avatar
FrAnKs FrAnKs is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ville de Québec / Quebec city
Posts: 5,937
^ I agree, the Delta is the worse. My favourites are the Hilton and Édifice d'Youville (I am excluding Price building & Château frontenanc on purpose here)

The hilton was already aging quite well in my opinion AND they just renovated all of it facade and windows last year.

I quite like Édifice D'Youville. I think there's something elegant in its design (intemporel?) and I could easily see this skyscraper in a European city like Brussels or Liège etc...

I agree that Québec city has a unique skyline. On the other hand, its skyline is hard to capture as a whole because of the topography.
     
     
  #18951  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 7:50 PM
mousquet's Avatar
mousquet mousquet is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Greater Paris, France
Posts: 5,139
^ I don't dislike Brutalism either when it's made up of some decent concrete and the massing is ok.
These are cool historic buildings indeed.

Sometimes, it even worked to midrises. But then as always, concrete to the façade has to be of fair quality and the massing/design of buildings matters enormously.
     
     
  #18952  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 8:13 PM
Rico Rommheim's Avatar
Rico Rommheim Rico Rommheim is offline
Look at me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Bagels
Posts: 13,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
^ I agree, the Delta is the worse. My favourites are the Hilton and Édifice d'Youville (I am excluding Price building & Château frontenanc on purpose here)

The hilton was already aging quite well in my opinion AND they just renovated all of it facade and windows last year.

I quite like Édifice D'Youville. I think there's something elegant in its design (intemporel?) and I could easily see this skyscraper in a European city like Brussels or Liège etc...

I agree that Québec city has a unique skyline. On the other hand, its skyline is hard to capture as a whole because of the topography.
Qc looks great from the falls though


From_Afar_in_Quebec_City_Series_53 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

and from the plains it looks hulkish and imposing

Center_of_a_Nation_Quebec_City_Series_34 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr
     
     
  #18953  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 8:15 PM
Nite's Avatar
Nite Nite is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,390
Toronto

• Video Link

• Video Link



Last edited by Nite; Jan 30, 2022 at 9:19 PM.
     
     
  #18954  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 9:34 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Ice is the poster child for what can occur in investor owned condo buildings after going viral. Keep in mind you only hear about the bad stuff. Still, the stories are crazy.
     
     
  #18955  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 9:39 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
The Delta is too awkward for me. It's typical for office hotel towers though.

I wonder if any of these are vulnerable to be reskinned due to the age of the precast panels.
     
     
  #18956  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 10:25 PM
FrAnKs's Avatar
FrAnKs FrAnKs is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ville de Québec / Quebec city
Posts: 5,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
The Delta is too awkward for me. It's typical for office hotel towers though.

I wonder if any of these are vulnerable to be reskinned due to the age of the precast panels.
As I said above, they recently got rid of those white prefab panels on the Hilton and they replaced it by brand new white aluminium panels to keep the same style from the outside. I hope they would do the same with the Delta, he needs it lol
     
     
  #18957  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 10:54 PM
Darkoshvilli Darkoshvilli is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Hamilton 2.0
Stfu
     
     
  #18958  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 11:02 PM
Repthe250 Repthe250 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Kelowna, BC
Posts: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Yeah I've never heard of any of this either.
I stayed at ICE in October for 5 nights. I can confirm the fire alarm issue and the bottles being thrown off balconies. I was standing below and had one miss me by about 3 meters.
     
     
  #18959  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 4:55 AM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,149
     
     
  #18960  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 2:06 PM
Martin Mtl's Avatar
Martin Mtl Martin Mtl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,075
/\ Very nice.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:20 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.