HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


View Poll Results: What is the commieblock capital of Canada?
Laval 11 5.29%
Longueuil 9 4.33%
Gatineau 3 1.44%
Ottawa 32 15.38%
Kingston 2 0.96%
Belleville 2 0.96%
Scarborough 27 12.98%
North York 36 17.31%
Hamilton 34 16.35%
Kitchener-Waterloo 9 4.33%
London 45 21.63%
Windsor 3 1.44%
Edmonton 27 12.98%
Burnaby 2 0.96%
Winnipeg 15 7.21%
Elsewhere: please state your claim & justify! 9 4.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #181  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 4:56 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is online now
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
alas, the monster is on the edge of le Plateau. surrounded by equally fugly structures
https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.51842,-73...itch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192
Speaking of ugly brutalism this building looks like a concrete St. Hubert:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.5172687,-...rJA_c50bk7gSAFetGUPag!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.5174619,-...mqqLNBxVyXZLFryL5Z5VQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

And across the street is the nicest of les Residences Soleil:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.5183667,-...J7Iq25yw4GD6oq04wg3-Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #182  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 11:26 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is online now
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,290
One of the greater Montreal island slabs.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #183  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 11:37 PM
Proof Sheet Proof Sheet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
And across the street is the nicest of les Residences Soleil:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.5183667,-...J7Iq25yw4GD6oq04wg3-Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
That building was a hotel a number of years ago and I stayed there. It seemed to have a very awkward underground parking lot. I do recall being there on business and walking out for dinner and having rabbit and lamb and lots of artisinal beer somewhere nearby. Good times. Sorry no quarts of 50 or pickled eggs
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #184  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 12:58 AM
Hali87 Hali87 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,465
I don't know if there's a standard definition for "commie block", but I've always understood it to imply a bunch of things:

- Building is rectangular; tall, wide, but not deep. Based around a long, straight hallway with elevators in the middle

- There's no variation in unit sizes or layouts; maybe there are 1-br and 2-br units but all of the 1-br units are identical to one another, etc (to me this is what makes it a "commie" block - all of the units are ostensibly "equal")

- Views are incidental; site design (including the siting of similar buildings nearby) is based entirely around perceived efficiency of land-use and simplifying the design process; views from within units are fundamentally not treated as an asset

- Aesthetics are not taken into account. The building is not really designed so much as engineered. There are effectively no decorative elements. The building is maintained to the minimum necessary to avoid (or recover from) catastrophic failure, cosmetic damages are not considered problems and there is little to no landscaping. Everything about the building's design and construction is based around maximizing the amount of leasable space(s) while minimizing the cost to the builder/owner

- Typically single-use (residential)

- Unlikely to have any amenities beyond parking and maybe laundry

There's no real definition but that's how I think of it. A quintessential example I'd point to within Canada is Toronto's St. James Town. Those are definitely commie blocks IMO. When I think of commie blocks I'm thinking of specifically those types of buildings.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #185  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 1:28 AM
Nouvellecosse's Avatar
Nouvellecosse Nouvellecosse is online now
Volatile Pacivist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 11,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
I don't know if there's a standard definition for "commie block", but I've always understood it to imply a bunch of things:

- Building is rectangular; tall, wide, but not deep. Based around a long, straight hallway with elevators in the middle

- There's no variation in unit sizes or layouts; maybe there are 1-br and 2-br units but all of the 1-br units are identical to one another, etc (to me this is what makes it a "commie" block - all of the units are ostensibly "equal")

- Views are incidental; site design (including the siting of similar buildings nearby) is based entirely around perceived efficiency of land-use and simplifying the design process; views from within units are fundamentally not treated as an asset

- Aesthetics are not taken into account. The building is not really designed so much as engineered. There are effectively no decorative elements. The building is maintained to the minimum necessary to avoid (or recover from) catastrophic failure, cosmetic damages are not considered problems and there is little to no landscaping. Everything about the building's design and construction is based around maximizing the amount of leasable space(s) while minimizing the cost to the builder/owner

- Typically single-use (residential)

- Unlikely to have any amenities beyond parking and maybe laundry

There's no real definition but that's how I think of it. A quintessential example I'd point to within Canada is Toronto's St. James Town. Those are definitely commie blocks IMO. When I think of commie blocks I'm thinking of specifically those types of buildings.
When I think of the term commie-block I basically think of the first and fourth criteria which affects the exterior aesthetic. I assumed the name just comes from how the aesthetic was so prolific in the eastern bloc during the soviet era. I didn't think it has anything to do with the interior aspects of the building since some of these "slab" buildings are fairly high end.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #186  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 3:22 AM
Wigs's Avatar
Wigs Wigs is online now
Great White North
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Niagara Region
Posts: 16,689
St. Catharines (est pop. 141,000) has two 21 storey commieblocks under construction. They may be ugly, but they add a lot of units (356)!
I'm pretty sure these are the tallest residential structures in all of Niagara.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tddasv View Post
Progress on the tallest buildings in St. Catharines (21-storeys)



Source: https://www.niagaradev.ca/profiles/glenridge/theshipman

They're located in St. Catharines densest CommieCluster, across from a Catholic HS
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #187  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 3:25 AM
Loco101's Avatar
Loco101 Loco101 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Timmins, Northern Ontario
Posts: 9,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
That building was a hotel a number of years ago and I stayed there. It seemed to have a very awkward underground parking lot. I do recall being there on business and walking out for dinner and having rabbit and lamb and lots of artisinal beer somewhere nearby. Good times. Sorry no quarts of 50 or pickled eggs
I stayed there as well when it was a hotel. I can't remember the name. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a chain.

I've also stayed right near there at Hôtel Château de L’Argoat which at the time was very inexpensive in March and had really nice rooms. There was even free parking and a really nice breakfast. I remember there was a huge snowstorm and so many restaurants, bars and other attractions were not busy at all.

Here is the link to the hotel if anybody is interested: https://www.hotel-chateau-argoat.com/index.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #188  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 1:14 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
I don't know if there's a standard definition for "commie block", but I've always understood it to imply a bunch of things:

- Building is rectangular; tall, wide, but not deep. Based around a long, straight hallway with elevators in the middle

- There's no variation in unit sizes or layouts; maybe there are 1-br and 2-br units but all of the 1-br units are identical to one another, etc (to me this is what makes it a "commie" block - all of the units are ostensibly "equal")

- Views are incidental; site design (including the siting of similar buildings nearby) is based entirely around perceived efficiency of land-use and simplifying the design process; views from within units are fundamentally not treated as an asset

- Aesthetics are not taken into account. The building is not really designed so much as engineered. There are effectively no decorative elements. The building is maintained to the minimum necessary to avoid (or recover from) catastrophic failure, cosmetic damages are not considered problems and there is little to no landscaping. Everything about the building's design and construction is based around maximizing the amount of leasable space(s) while minimizing the cost to the builder/owner

- Typically single-use (residential)

- Unlikely to have any amenities beyond parking and maybe laundry

There's no real definition but that's how I think of it. A quintessential example I'd point to within Canada is Toronto's St. James Town. Those are definitely commie blocks IMO. When I think of commie blocks I'm thinking of specifically those types of buildings.
I tend to associate 'Commie Block' with midrise heights, typically between 4-20 storeys, with a strong horizontal orientation. Anything shorter lacks the mass, and anything much taller is a different beast altogether. Once you get north of 30 storeys it's hard to consider something a commie block even if the other criteria fit.

This complex in Latvia conveys the general idea:



The St. James Town buildings fit the description.

Here's a classic commie block example from Winnipeg. If you had 15 of these you would basically have a whole USSR neighbourhood
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #189  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 1:56 PM
biguc's Avatar
biguc biguc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: pinkoland
Posts: 11,905
A lot of original flavour commie blocks actually have pretty nice landscaping and amenities--playgrounds, chess tables, table tennis, multiple lobbies throughout each building.

The goal was to get people to mingle. And to give them some form of recreation since they weren't allowed to do much else. More recently, in ad-hoc, post-communism urban environments, a lot of them have developed surprisingly vibrant retail ground floors.

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.2365321,...oMKx8BInjoJUXG2dqxY8A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #190  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 2:07 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is offline
Touching grass everyday.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Otisburgh
Posts: 51,753


and look at that wonderful view of power pylons! Soul crushing.

Grey sky, commie blocks, power pylons. (Ontario: Keep it Beautiful).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #191  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 2:09 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
This guy here in Ottawa. Looks like a re-clad of a 70s commie block, or as if they used the old plans from the neighbouring building, extruded them and made a few modernizations.

Then there's Lees Avenue at a major highway interchange. Served by the O-Train and only one station from uOttawa, it's heavily populated by students from the University and a nearby french college, La Cité Collégiale.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lees_Avenue

The building with the wrap around balconies have been modernized. A terrible job that's made it look far worse, taking away the balconies to use as interior space.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4150873,...-h01cuXjGXtw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en-US
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #192  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 2:13 PM
thewave46 thewave46 is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Grey sky, commie blocks, power pylons. (Ontario: Keep it Beautiful).
The MTO gave up on that slogan when it was apparent that people were hucking Tim’s cups into a trash strewn highway ditch from their car wearing those plates.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #193  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 2:14 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is offline
Touching grass everyday.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Otisburgh
Posts: 51,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
The MTO gave up on that slogan when it was apparent that people were hucking Tim’s cups into a trash strewn highway ditch from their car wearing those plates.
And I thought it was those people that sported the "A Place To Grow" plates (i.e., anti-liberal plates)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #194  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 2:15 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is offline
Touching grass everyday.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Otisburgh
Posts: 51,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
This guy here in Ottawa. Looks like a re-clad of a 70s commie block, or as if they used the old plans from the neighbouring building, extruded them and made a few modernizations.



Then there's Lees Avenue at a major highway interchange. Served by the O-Train and only one station from uOttawa, it's heavily populated by students from the University and a nearby french college, La Cité Collégiale.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lees_Avenue

The building with the wrap around balconies have been modernized. A terrible job that's made it look far worse, taking away the balconies to use as interior space.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4150873,...-h01cuXjGXtw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en-US
I am getting Clockzillian vibes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #195  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 3:12 PM
ScreamingViking's Avatar
ScreamingViking ScreamingViking is offline
Ham-burgher
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 7,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
The building with the wrap around balconies have been modernized. A terrible job that's made it look far worse, taking away the balconies to use as interior space.
That result may not look great, but I would have appreciated a more usable space instead of an outdoor balcony when I lived in an apartment. Some people make great use of them (I had grand but unrealized plans for mine) but I see so many that are just used for storage and accumulations of junk. Not that enclosing them changes that , but it at least provides some other options.



Cosmo Mart. Cosmo... Cosmo?

• Video Link
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #196  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 3:15 PM
ScreamingViking's Avatar
ScreamingViking ScreamingViking is offline
Ham-burgher
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 7,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
And I thought it was those people that sported the "A Place To Grow" plates (i.e., anti-liberal plates)


• Video Link
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #197  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 3:33 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Notice I posted non concrete examples from the 00's. To me the qualifier is sheer width and ugliness. The materials of "Commie Blocks" are usually concrete or brick. The materials for contemporary versions are now stucco or aluminum siding it seems.
"Commie" is an ignorant, derogatory term used to disparage people more than the political ideology. Of course, there's no limitations on architectural style as its completely made up fanboy nonsense.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #198  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 4:23 PM
thewave46 thewave46 is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I am getting Clockzillian vibes.
I visited friends there and survived, so Clockzilla-lite must have a smaller appetite for souls.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #199  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 5:03 PM
Wigs's Avatar
Wigs Wigs is online now
Great White North
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Niagara Region
Posts: 16,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

and look at that wonderful view of power pylons! Soul crushing.

Grey sky, commie blocks, power pylons. (Ontario: Keep it Beautiful).
Look at how they lovingly LOOM over the HS
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #200  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 5:16 PM
niwell's Avatar
niwell niwell is offline
sick transit, gloria
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Roncesvalles, Toronto
Posts: 11,655
It wouldn't be Ontario without massive hydro pylons and corridors everywhere! Seriously, it's one of the first things I have memories of visiting as a kid, probably exacerbated because my grandparents lived in Pickering near the nuclear plant. That and the impressive number of slab apartments and massive infrastructure on the drive from the airport across the city (particularly compared to Calgary at the time), yet everything looking a bit disheveled.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:10 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.