HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 1:46 PM

Yeah, if that's UHaul, it's a disappointing change to the site and a major lost opportunity for what could be a great residential complex.

UHauls always feel like a more industrial-type development, or at least smaller scale. Even if they add Self-Storage to the costco site, it'll still leave the site somewhat underutilized. I'm sure Superstore and the rest of the retailers are less than pleased by this news. At least it won't be an empty building any more, but it's not that much of an improvement.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Yeah, if that's UHaul, it's a disappointing change to the site and a major lost opportunity for what could be a great residential complex.

UHauls always feel like a more industrial-type development, or at least smaller scale. Even if they add Self-Storage to the costco site, it'll still leave the site somewhat underutilized. I'm sure Superstore and the rest of the retailers are less than pleased by this news. At least it won't be an empty building any more, but it's not that much of an improvement.
Physical retail is very challenging in these times, so the idea of adding a residential component to Wheeler Park would have been such a good idea and a real benefit for the complex. But Costco & Kent both own their buildings so Choice Properties wouldn't have much control over what happens with them. Such great potential that no longer appears to have a chance of being realized. Too bad.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 7:14 PM

Is U-Haul considered commercial? I’m just curious if they would need a rezoning request from the City to proceed with the development. If this was the case perhaps the City could step in and say that’s not what we’d like to have happen at this location.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 8:25 PM

The newspaper quotes Costco's real estate agent confirming the sale, pending certain conditions. The agent declines to name the buyer.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 2:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
The newspaper quotes Costco's real estate agent confirming the sale, pending certain conditions. The agent declines to name the buyer.
The article has been updated.

Apparently this is the fifth time that there has been a conditional sale for the Costco property. The previous four times, the purchaser backed out (twice for COVID related reasons).

The agent hopes to be able to name the purchaser in 3-4 weeks (following due diligence and the signing of final papers). He further went on to state he has confidence that the sale this time will stick and that the transaction will be "good for the Moncton area"

I don't know about you, but a U-Haul purchase of the Costco site would be at best a neutral transaction for the greater Moncton economy. Is the agent trying to signal that the purchaser might actually be a somewhat more interesting entity????

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 2:15 PM

UNI (formerly Caisse Populaire Acadienne) announced that they will be moving their St. George street location to Tannery Place in the fall.

I wonder what will happen to the existing building?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 1:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Assuming that RW&Co is also relocating within the mall, then I think the likely scenario for the south wing of CF Champlain is for two new retailers.

1) - one larger retailer comprising the four storefronts from Just Cozy to Marie Claire, with the top candidates being LL Bean or Old Navy.
2) - one smaller retailer replacing RW&Co, with the top candidates being Mountain Warehouse, Torrid or Aritzia.
The pieces are beginning to fall into place.

Prepandemic job adverts for Torrid at CF Champlain have just reappeared on Indeed.com:

https://ca.indeed.com/jobs?q=Retail&...95ca96b9ea03dd

So, at least part of my prediction is coming true. Torrid is coming to CF Champlain. Will LL Bean be coming as well??? My spidey senses are tingling.

Torrid is actually a pretty big catch for the mall. There are only 21 Torrid locations in Canada, so CF Champlain will be landing this retailer before many other larger malls in the country. The only other regional Torrid location is at Halifax Shopping Centre. Torrid is a very popular store with fashion conscious plus sized women.

In the prepandemic era, major changes were in order for CF Champlain, involving (almost) all the retailers listed in the quote above, as well as Lush (who were definitely also planning on a new CF Champlain store) and a couple of other, the names of which I forget. Are all these plans now back on the table? Will we see more major store announcements for CF Champlain in the upcoming months? I am hopeful............

In addition to the south wing, CF Champlain may also have plans for the old Victoria's Secret location too.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jan 23, 2022 at 2:24 PM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 2:21 PM

And pre-pandemic, the manager of Starbucks told me that there were plans for them to move away from the kiosk and into a store front location in the mall.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 2:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
And pre-pandemic, the manager of Starbucks told me that there were plans for them to move away from the kiosk and into a store front location in the mall.
Yes, I believe they were looking at the vacant CRU adjacent to Sunshine Records, and across the south court from the TD Corporate Banking Centre. I think they were banking on those 1,200 thirsty workers at the centre for a steady flow of business........

Hopefully all those banking employees will be returning to the mall in the upcoming months.............

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Yes, I believe they were looking at the vacant CRU adjacent to Sunshine Records, and across the south court from the TD Corporate Banking Centre. I think they were banking on those 1,200 thirsty workers at the centre for a steady flow of business........

Hopefully all those banking employees will be returning to the mall in the upcoming months.............
It would be such a boost for the mall if they would. I think there'll be a mix of back at the office, work from home, and a hybrid model. But TD is smart enough not to pay for unused space. They had recently announced that a new insurance department was coming to the site. So as time goes by, I believe that we'll see a lot more TD employees wandering around the mall. As of now though, the TD parking lot is practically empty during business hours.

I'd still like to see CF add a residential tower to the mall like they've done in other markets. But I doubt we see anything happening "out east", similar to the Aquilini property sitting undeveloped!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 2:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There is a rumour on Retail Talk & Share that Pantorama will be closing it's doors by the end of the month.

Also, H&M will be temporarily closing (for about five weeks) to allow for major renovations to their store space. Despite previous rumours, there is apparently no intention to contract their footprint at the mall.

Actually, aside from store closures related to the impending rehabilitation of the south wing of the mall to create space for anticipated new retailers, there have been surprisingly few post holiday store closures at CF Champlain (at least compared to other years recently).........

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 4:34 AM

Copy Pasted from the Junction Urban Village thread.

Originally Posted by SevenSquared View Post
UNI (formerly Caisse Populaire Acadienne) announced that they will be moving their St. George street location to Tannery Place in the fall.

I wonder what will happen to the existing building?

Quote:
Wow! This is a surprise. Their St. George Street location is in a relatively new and architecturally distinct building. I wonder why they would do this???
=======================================================

I just can't image the move to Tannery is due to the riffraffs on St George. I'm guessing it's simply a new strategy in banking. Less people going to brinks & mortar banks, more clients using electronic banking, more bank staff working from home, etc. UNI could either keep the location and lease it or sell off assets.

What would be a good fit to this location? How about a Baton Rouge Steakhouse & Bar?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 6:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Foot Locker recently permanently closed, and, today, news that Just Cozy is closed (temporarily for two weeks) to allow for relocation elsewhere in the mall.

The decks are being cleared for the major refurbishment of the south wing of the mall with new major retailers soon to be arriving in the mall.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 4:25 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Rumour is that:

1) - Ecko Unlimited will relocate to Panorama.
2) - Just Cozy will relocate to Ecko Unlimited.

Lots of reshuffling and renovations in the mall this year. This is a good sign.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 4:26 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

barBurrito Reveals Plans for Massive Store Expansion Throughout Canada: Interview
https://retail-insider.com/retail-in...ytW5tPLdFq1Yh0

Quote:
Food service establishment barBurrito, which began with its first location in 2006 in Toronto, has grown to 158 restaurants today with plans for massive expansion across the country.
Quote:
Saraga said the company expects to open 51 new locations in Canada this year and another six in the US.

He said the Canadian market could eventually grow to 400 to 500 locations
Quote:
“We’re looking for 1,000 to 1,300 square feet of space in grocery-anchored shopping centres, Walmart and Costco style power centres. We like lots of parking, lots of visibility and lots of frontage.
If they are planning on as many as 500 Canadian locations, surely there will be at least one (perhaps a couple) Moncton locations. The comment about "Costco style power centres" is very interesting. The leasing agents for the Granite Centre should get on the phone immediately to talk to these guys.........

The store next to the barBurrito in the photo above is even a Bone & Biscuit for cripes sake!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 12:34 PM

New tenants for the old Vien Dong Restaurant, there is a convenience store moving in. High Mart, which has a location in Charlottetown will bring a variety of ethnic foods and specialty items to 880 Main street.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 1:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamOfpumpkin View Post
New tenants for the old Vien Dong Restaurant, there is a convenience store moving in. High Mart, which has a location in Charlottetown will bring a variety of ethnic foods and specialty items to 880 Main street.
Thanks. I will repost this in the downtown thread too.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 3:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Pizza Salvatore is opening in Quispamsis.

According to this article, the chain is also in active talks with landlords in both Saint John and Moncton for additional new locations.
https://www.country94.ca/2022/01/31/...rHYD3YNSOR26-M

This is a Quebec based chain, with 40 locations at present, currently in rapid expansion mode.

https://pizzasalvatore.com/en/

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 12:52 AM

Quote:

If they are planning on as many as 500 Canadian locations, surely there will be at least one (perhaps a couple) Moncton locations. The comment about "Costco style power centres" is very interesting. The leasing agents for the Granite Centre should get on the phone immediately to talk to these guys.........

The store next to the barBurrito in the photo above is even a Bone & Biscuit for cripes sake!
I have had several visits to the Bar Burrito location in Fredericton. It will do well in Moncton and elsewhere in NB

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 2:49 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

A few months back, I posted that Bouclair was planning on renovating 20 of their stores to a "new concept" format.

Apparently, they will begin renovations to their store at Wheeler Park very shortly, with an anticipated completion date in the late spring. The store will remain open during renovations.

A rare bit of good news for Wheeler Park, and an important vote of confidence by Bouclair in this shopping plaza.

Here's a link to the Retail Insider article about Bouclair's new concept stores:
https://retail-insider.com/retail-in...restructuring/

And a YouTube video:

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces