This may be one of the better and more interesting comments I've read
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Orange
Living in a walkable, pre-war neighborhood in an American city with a good job market has become a true luxury. I own a smaller place in Park Hill (not the nice bungalow part) which is fine for now but has some issues as a long term residence. I've accepted the fact that when it's time to move on/upgrade, I will be leaving Denver proper, or the state altogether. Most of my friends, many of them working in tech making very good money and until recently avowed city people who rejected their cul-de-sac upbringing, have dispersed to the suburbs during Covid. As much as I prefer walkable historic neighborhoods, I also like being able to have money leftover after my mortgage for savings and eating out. (And that's not to touch the violent crime and drug epidemic issues that have also made cities less pleasant of late.) The millennial "return to the city" dream of the car-lite, streetcar suburb, local business supporting lifestyle is dead for all but the very upper middle class. We're all Outback driving, split-level owning, Big Box shopping suburbanites now. It was nice while it lasted though.
|
In reflection, it was only a decade ago that downtown was like a shiny new toy; when
laniroj's favorite group of people, with the kids long gone were selling their Big House and moving into the City Center. Skies were full of cranes; life was busy and vibrant; crowds of shoppers and brewpubs grew; what was not to like - back then?
Certainly the Pandemic has been an accelerant but it's hardly a surprise that as Millennials grew older that their perspectives changed. That's only normal so some percentage moving back to the suburbs was very predictable.
But it's also true, for better or worse, that our lifestyles have radically changed over the decades.
Quote:
Originally Posted by COtoOC
I've heard this same story from others. We moved to Stapleton into a new house in 2005, so "got in early". Where our house is located is currently walkable and I can walk to something like 19 locally owned restaurants (The Stanley and Eastbridge town center) and groceries, etc., so it finally ended up more like promised back in 2005. Obviously it's not a historic neighborhood, but I'm reasonably close to urban Denver and downtown, so I'm happy.
|
This is intriguing on a number of levels.
For starters, 'Stanley' was originally deemed risky and speculative. But it points to various factors (other than just density) that make a neighborhood a nice place to live. To a significant degree it's about being 'comfortable' with where you live as well as being convenient. And feeling safe (what we often take for granted) is quite important, especially as the years go by. It also demonstrates (in spades) the benefit of 'mixed-use' which can come in different and sometimes unpredictable flavors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by COtoOC
What I'm not happy with this that our home value has more than doubled since buying it and last year, most of my 5% pay increase was eaten up by more property tax!
|
My cranky elder side agrees... it feels like everybody is trying to get into my pocketbook and that includes the Gubment.
----------------------
Did I ever mention that I was ambidextrous?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr
This is also heavily indicative of what we consider to be the real Denver. Is it Congress Park, Berkley, Capitol Hill? Or is it Montbello, Bear Valley, and Green Valley Ranch? One part is still somewhat affordable, the other is a playground for the upper middle class.
Agent Orange's comment is spot on that only certain income levels can afford walkable urban communities because we stopped building the product a half-century ago. TakeFive will throw out that new suburban developments will mimic some of the characteristic of walkable urban, but it's still a far cry from what one could get in a neighborhood like Jefferson Park, etc.
|
Which is to say it's not either / or; it's not a zero sum game.
I can clearly remember when places like Jefferson Park, North Capitol Hill & City Park - even west Wash Park were places where 'The Poors' could live. Other neighborhoods you mention were more about average middle class folk.
I just want to point out that all these 'affordability' problems happened AFTER I moved out of (metro) Denver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr
The other suggestion is to DINK it up to afford an urban area. SINK's are only allowed to rent.
|
Cute... even if appropriate.