HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3561  
Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 5:42 AM
roryn1 roryn1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ralph View Post
Does Baydo have you scoping out land there for its next build?
why do the mod’s let this troll continue?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3562  
Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 9:16 PM
YXE YXE is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 287
https://thestarphoenix.com/news/local-ne...uld-hit-market-next-year-at-10-5-million

Does anyone know what happened with this? Was this parcel ultimately sold, or is it still being held by the city? If it was sold, who purchased it?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3563  
Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 12:51 AM
roryn1 roryn1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,041
I think it’s on hold because of the arena announcement. Once that happens in the next month or two, and if it’s not at River Landing, the city may be extremely active selling those parcels this year? How exciting!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3564  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 5:01 PM
prairieguy prairieguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,575
Montage Resort Apartments

Meridians Montage Apartment complex in University Heights looks to be a huge success. I just checked on the Montage site, and in the entire six floor building, there are only 13 units that have not been reserved.
I find this really interesting that a higher end apartment/rental development has this kind of demand! I also think that is a very positive indicator. Hopefully, that would encourage higher end construction and amenities for future rental projects and just not for condo buildings. There seems to be demand for this.
Must make Meridian a bit more comfortable in their prospects for the Knox Church site tower!
As my wife and I are closer and closer to retirement, I have been looking at condos for downsizing. But honestly, the price to buy and downsize is not so much of a barrier but the condo/association fees are certainly raising my eyebrows! Makes me wonder if selling our home and moving into a rental just might make more economic sense...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3565  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 7:00 PM
Roquentin Roquentin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 271
Just a quick note --- I noticed this morning that the parking lot on Spadina next to the Ukrainian Museum has been sold. Nimbys in the tower just south of there managed to help 🞵🞵🞵🞵 up the Knox tower plans, but I'd love to see them get some new neighbors.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3566  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 7:25 PM
roryn1 roryn1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roquentin View Post
Just a quick note --- I noticed this morning that the parking lot on Spadina next to the Ukrainian Museum has been sold. Nimbys in the tower just south of there managed to help 🞵🞵🞵🞵 up the Knox tower plans, but I'd love to see them get some new neighbors.
They did? I thought that Meridian tower was still a go? Hopefully this 2nd sold lot on spadina is a 2nd tower… fingers crossed.

I have a grand master planning scheme where I’d love to see Scotia Center/ Princeton and old Nutrien tower bought by Cushman and Wakefield, turned into condos (As Cushman might be walking into some cash capital soon if the city ends up buying their surface parking lot for the arena. Turn the Scotia Center into not just condos, but a bit of resort style living similar to what Meridian has done with Montage - even do a spa complex that can’t be completed at the willows - I think you could do something very cool on a second level at the scotia center… maybe even turn half of the commercial into a hotel..

I think there’s huge opportunity to do all that, and offer the amenities on top of the fact that Midtown could be attached to this complex via a skywalk which would make it more accessible for seniors and future retirees all year round. Heck, it would be a very cool place for any generation - similar to how vancouver has a fairmont/condos/underground retail mall next to their convention center.

I really hope we think big here when we’re planning our arena. I’ve been watching the Calgary plans that just failed again, and it would be very easy for our city administration to fail on this project once again (like how we failed sasktel center). Hopefully we’re thinking grandiose!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3567  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2022, 12:38 AM
YXE YXE is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roquentin View Post
Just a quick note --- I noticed this morning that the parking lot on Spadina next to the Ukrainian Museum has been sold. Nimbys in the tower just south of there managed to help 🞵🞵🞵🞵 up the Knox tower plans, but I'd love to see them get some new neighbors.
Wait, what?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3568  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2022, 11:07 AM
Roquentin Roquentin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
They did? I thought that Meridian tower was still a go? Hopefully this 2nd sold lot on spadina is a 2nd tower… fingers crossed.
Sorry, I meant that NIMBYs (and others) helped delay the review process. The last news we heard was positive. (I believe? It's been a while.) Imagine if this were under construction now, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
I have a grand master planning scheme where I’d love to see Scotia Center/ Princeton and old Nutrien tower bought by Cushman and Wakefield, turned into condos (As Cushman might be walking into some cash capital soon if the city ends up buying their surface parking lot for the arena. Turn the Scotia Center into not just condos, but a bit of resort style living similar to what Meridian has done with Montage - even do a spa complex that can’t be completed at the willows - I think you could do something very cool on a second level at the scotia center… maybe even turn half of the commercial into a hotel..

I think there’s huge opportunity to do all that, and offer the amenities on top of the fact that Midtown could be attached to this complex via a skywalk which would make it more accessible for seniors and future retirees all year round. Heck, it would be a very cool place for any generation - similar to how vancouver has a fairmont/condos/underground retail mall next to their convention center.

I really hope we think big here when we’re planning our arena. I’ve been watching the Calgary plans that just failed again, and it would be very easy for our city administration to fail on this project once again (like how we failed sasktel center). Hopefully we’re thinking grandiose!
I'd love to see all of this happen too! We need that kind of residential density right in the core, not just along the river. However, there's still so much prime riverfront land to build on. That's (part of the reason) why I support projects like the Knox Church tower and whatever will eventually happen beside the Ukrainian Museum (by the way, wasn't the museum looking into moving?). By eating up that real estate, future demand shifts elsewhere --- hopefully further into the core to make, for example, Scotia Centre condos more attractive. A highrise apartment building right beside the Drinkle would be amazing for the core.

Anyway, I hope that as riverfront lots are developed, the core itself becomes more attractive for the kinds of projects you envision. The arena has the potential to be fantastic, though I wonder if they'll plan it to be focused more on future phases of River Landing. An arena at the Toys R Us site could help tie the current and future halves of River Landing together, say. If that were to happen though, it might help build the kind of downtown "spine" you're describing. Very cool idea!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3569  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2022, 7:04 PM
reddo reddo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Montage Resort Apartments

Meridians Montage Apartment complex in University Heights looks to be a huge success. I just checked on the Montage site, and in the entire six floor building, there are only 13 units that have not been reserved.
I find this really interesting that a higher end apartment/rental development has this kind of demand! I also think that is a very positive indicator. Hopefully, that would encourage higher end construction and amenities for future rental projects and just not for condo buildings. There seems to be demand for this.
Must make Meridian a bit more comfortable in their prospects for the Knox Church site tower!
As my wife and I are closer and closer to retirement, I have been looking at condos for downsizing. But honestly, the price to buy and downsize is not so much of a barrier but the condo/association fees are certainly raising my eyebrows! Makes me wonder if selling our home and moving into a rental just might make more economic sense...
Is that for the whole building or just phase 1? I know they've started work for phase 2 already, framing wasn't supposed to start till end of this year but I think with the demand they've really pushed the schedule up.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3570  
Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 4:50 PM
prairieguy prairieguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,575
I was not aware this was a 2 phase project. So yes, the reserved suites are for the building currently nearing completion....I guess phase 1.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3571  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 2:01 PM
King Ralph King Ralph is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
They did? I thought that Meridian tower was still a go? Hopefully this 2nd sold lot on spadina is a 2nd tower… fingers crossed.

I have a grand master planning scheme where I’d love to see Scotia Center/ Princeton and old Nutrien tower bought by Cushman and Wakefield, turned into condos (As Cushman might be walking into some cash capital soon if the city ends up buying their surface parking lot for the arena. Turn the Scotia Center into not just condos, but a bit of resort style living similar to what Meridian has done with Montage - even do a spa complex that can’t be completed at the willows - I think you could do something very cool on a second level at the scotia center… maybe even turn half of the commercial into a hotel..

I think there’s huge opportunity to do all that, and offer the amenities on top of the fact that Midtown could be attached to this complex via a skywalk which would make it more accessible for seniors and future retirees all year round. Heck, it would be a very cool place for any generation - similar to how vancouver has a fairmont/condos/underground retail mall next to their convention center.

I really hope we think big here when we’re planning our arena. I’ve been watching the Calgary plans that just failed again, and it would be very easy for our city administration to fail on this project once again (like how we failed sasktel center). Hopefully we’re thinking grandiose!
Maybe let's come back to reality?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3572  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 4:01 PM
Roquentin Roquentin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ralph View Post
Maybe let's come back to reality?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thought-terminating_clich%C3%A9
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3573  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 4:58 PM
Dino35 Dino35 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
I was not aware this was a 2 phase project. So yes, the reserved suites are for the building currently nearing completion....I guess phase 1.
Second phase is well underway. Parking structure is complete and the framing for the first floor has already started.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3574  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 12:31 AM
roryn1 roryn1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,041
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3575  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 1:56 AM
Dalreg's Avatar
Dalreg Dalreg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 2,004
I'm thinking this should have it's own thread started.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3576  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 2:18 AM
Echoes's Avatar
Echoes Echoes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 4,537
I am quite impressed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3577  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 4:13 AM
roryn1 roryn1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,041
An interesting insight - not a single unit is for sale in my building downtown. I think 30% of the building was for sale a year ago! These new condos being built will be with an arena and library really spurring additional spinoff investment into the downtown into next decade.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3578  
Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 1:08 AM
roryn1 roryn1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,041
This is a great video of The Lighthouse, and discussion on challenges at it at the moment. Such a tough situation, but the need for an upgraded facility is very clear!
https://www.aptnnews.ca/national-news/th...atoon-struggling-to-keep-its-doors-open/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3579  
Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 7:04 PM
The mayor The mayor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 1,714
Xo

Last edited by The mayor; Jan 27, 2022 at 7:25 PM. Reason: This was to be in the Regina thread sorry
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3580  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2022, 3:02 AM
Brosky Brosky is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 7
Any idea why the city would purchase the old bridal shop building between Cactus Club and Midtown mall?
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:50 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.