HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #17361  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 12:58 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,725
That'ds a very neat proposal for Vancouver. It looks more like something you would see in a Spanish or Latin city though. And 101 Spadina Avenue was discussed several pages back already. Great tower for the area but the Ground floor could use some tweaking imo.
     
     
  #17362  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 1:07 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
The curves and interlocking framework give it an organic look. It's very impressive... especially up close, in the detail views. I don't know that I love it from a distance as a whole, but up close it's elegant and inviting.
     
     
  #17363  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 1:15 PM
biguc's Avatar
biguc biguc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: pinkoland
Posts: 11,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
Ceramic glazed terracotta.

From the Daily Hive article:

=========

“People want bigger and more useable outdoor spaces that create extended living areas, allowing them to take their work or recreational time outside.
They want buildings with solidity, personality and depth that feel permanent,” said Thomas Heatherwick, the founder of London-based architectural firm Heatherwick Studio.

“We saw a real need to better connect the towers with the surrounding nature and to offer substantial materiality that feels long lasting.
Our vision is based around a three-dimensional framework conceptualized as ceramic glazed terracotta, which strikes the right balance between privacy and the incredible views in all directions.”

=========

The Butterfly is from Bing Thom Architects (now Revery Architecture).
Thanks. That glazed terracotta should look amazing. And I agree with TorontoDrew about the Latin angle--it's a material I'd expect to see in Italy but not at this scale or in this form. Anyway, I'm really excited to see this one shape up.
__________________
no
     
     
  #17364  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 2:09 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,725
It's also a huge improvement over the original design which I found awkward looking. I'm wonder what they will be charging per square foot for these units? Those materials will not be cheap.
     
     
  #17365  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 2:47 PM
zoomer's Avatar
zoomer zoomer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,050
Wow, looks as if all windows can be cleaned easily by the owners themselves. Although all those exposed and interlaced balconies will be huge water collectors during the rainy season, so maybe this design is better suited for a drier climate?
     
     
  #17366  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 4:12 PM
JHikka's Avatar
JHikka JHikka is offline
ハルウララ
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,853
Project is at Hurontario & Dundas, near to Cooksville GO, on Hurontario LRT, and roughly 2KM from Square One/Burnhamthorpe & Hurontario

Four tower, over 1,000-unit development could replace Mississauga neighbourhood mall
Sat., Jan. 8, 2022

A busy part of Mississauga’s Cooksville neighbourhood could look dramatically different if a major new development is approved.

Centre City Place, a two-storey mall and office complex located at 3085 Hurontario St., could be knocked down and converted into a four-tower, over 1,000-unit mixed-use development if the proposal is accepted by the city.

The change is proposed by the mall’s owner Equity Three Holdings and would construct nine, 30, 33 and 35-storey apartment towers with ground-floor commercial uses on the site. The mall currently includes medical offices, a number of restaurants and grocery store Al Nejmah Fine Foods.

The proposed development site is designated by city planners to be in the urban growth centre of Mississauga, but the project would still require a number of amendments to city zoning and plans to be approved.


https://www.thestar.com/local-mississaug...lace-mississauga-neighbourhood-mall.html
     
     
  #17367  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 4:19 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
It has a 1950s sci-fi look, which I dig.
Look close. Can see Kirk smashing a green alien human

Last edited by WhipperSnapper; Jan 11, 2022 at 4:30 PM.
     
     
  #17368  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 10:13 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,138
Paramount site - 'on the boards'

34 Storeys
160 units
1,2 Bedrooms
7,437 sf of retail space





https://humphreys.com/project/edmonton-office-tower/
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #17369  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 10:16 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is offline
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
So now we have a view of UBC’s full 3 tower project in downtown Kelowna.
Nice proposal! How come Kelowna can build triplets that aren't identical and Calgary can't?
     
     
  #17370  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 10:17 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is offline
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Paramount site - 'on the boards'

34 Storeys
160 units
1,2 Bedrooms
7,437 sf of retail space





https://humphreys.com/project/edmonton-office-tower/
Is that an office tower conversion? Why does a condo have an Enbridge sign?

P.S. I like how the rendering tries to disguise the ocean of surface parking lots with trees.
     
     
  #17371  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 10:19 PM
trueviking's Avatar
trueviking trueviking is offline
surely you agree with me
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 15,079
is that Edmonton one an office tower or residential?
     
     
  #17372  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 10:21 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,138
I believe that it was originally pitched for the Enbridge's RFP a few years ago and now would be a mixed-use office/apartment project.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #17373  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 10:25 PM
GeneralLea's Avatar
GeneralLea GeneralLea is offline
Midtowner since 2K
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Midtown Toronto
Posts: 5,983
I'm indifferent on the building..but I'm confused by the render. It looks like one part of the building is office space across all floors, and the other side (with the balconies on the corners) is for residential. I'm sure it's more conventional than that...but yea, I'm a bit confused. I assume the design will be rather different in a year or two.
__________________
"Living life on the edge"

Last edited by GeneralLea; Jan 11, 2022 at 11:11 PM.
     
     
  #17374  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 10:26 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
I'm confused. I thought Enbridge abandoned the pointy tower next door for a new building and that building has been vacant since.

nevermind
     
     
  #17375  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 10:31 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
P.S. I like how the rendering tries to disguise the ocean of surface parking lots with trees.
Perspective is everything. Two of those 3 sites are multi-level parkades with retail bases.

The largest one is a thorn for many of us and the single largest redevelopment site in all of Downtown.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #17376  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 10:33 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I'm confused. I thought Enbridge abandoned the pointy tower next door for a new building and that building has been vacant since.

nevermind
They moved into the new and beautiful Enbridge Centre a few years ago departing their towers on 102 (pointy) and 103st's.

The pointy one was going to be a hotel/suites and is now (maybe) going all rental.
https://edmontonjournal.com/business/com...bridge-tower-into-downtown-hotel-delayed
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #17377  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 11:31 PM
FrAnKs's Avatar
FrAnKs FrAnKs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ville de Québec / Quebec city
Posts: 5,936
Here's a new render of Humaniti in Québec City. Thanks to Davidivivid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidivivid View Post
Je suis tombé sur ce rendu de bonne qualité qui offre un angle légèrement différent de celui présenté fin 2020.


https://www.circum.archi/fr/humaniti-quebec/
__________________
PROVINCE OF QUEBEC ==> 9 050 000
MONTREAL METRO ==> 4 600 000
QUEBEC CITY METRO ==> 900 000
     
     
  #17378  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 12:00 AM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,138
Like the tower.

The rest is run of the mill/flavour of the week stuff but it's fine.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #17379  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 12:18 AM
Architype's Avatar
Architype Architype is offline
♒︎ verified human
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 🍁 Canada
Posts: 14,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
That'ds a very neat proposal for Vancouver. It looks more like something you would see in a Spanish or Latin city though. And 101 Spadina Avenue was discussed several pages back already. Great tower for the area but the Ground floor could use some tweaking imo.
The design has a nice interwoven fabric quality with overtones of Brutalist design, also it's reminiscent of some older buildings here, like these ones in West Vancouver, maybe others as well.
https://goo.gl/maps/TRaTN4d5WGaYSR557
https://goo.gl/maps/UW4KQJ1HJVz1SAFi7
https://goo.gl/maps/3txHWfqcQwamjAep7
Also this one in the West End perhaps:
https://goo.gl/maps/Pgccg9eNDqScYeuL8
. . . although it goes far beyond any of these in complexity.
     
     
  #17380  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 1:07 AM
theman23's Avatar
theman23 theman23 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ville de Québec
Posts: 6,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
It's also a huge improvement over the original design which I found awkward looking. I'm wonder what they will be charging per square foot for these units? Those materials will not be cheap.
$2000 a square foot would be my bet.
__________________
For entertainment purposes only. Not financial advice.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:08 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.