HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5081  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 2:11 AM
ScreamingViking's Avatar
ScreamingViking ScreamingViking is offline
Ham-burgher
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 7,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonBoyInToronto View Post
1. Landmark place has installed a single row of Christmas lights at the top of their building and even though it's simple (half assed lol) and uninspired it draws your eyes upwards and let's you imagine what could be if other buildings were properly lit up at night in downtown Hamilton
They used to do that every year -- strings of lights from the top of the antenna to the penthouse level to form a conical "tree"... I haven't seen the current version but when Homestead owned it they stopped putting them up, for "safety reasons" as noted in the Spec article excerpt quoted below.





Source

"Sadly, we've lost Hamilton's tallest tree. Beginning in the '90s, and maybe even earlier, it shone from the top of Hamilton's tallest structure, the 43-storey Century 21 building — now Landmark Place.

It wasn't a fresh-cut Scotch pine up there, just strings of lights around a Bell Mobility tower. But you could see it all over the lower city, and even from the main drag of Dundas.

Hard to say how long that tree's been gone, but it could be 10 years. Homestead Land Holdings, owners of the building now, said the tree was removed for safety reasons after a wind storm damaged the lights. I wish they would try again."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5082  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 3:46 AM
Innsertnamehere's Avatar
Innsertnamehere Innsertnamehere is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 12,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonBoyInToronto View Post
A couple of thoughts

1. Landmark place has installed a single row of Christmas lights at the top of their building and even though it's simple (half assed lol) and uninspired it draws your eyes upwards and let's you imagine what could be if other buildings were properly lit up at night in downtown Hamilton

2. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think LIUNA's new building at 34 James will be Hamilton's first all glass curtain wall condo tower ... it will be nice to see finally....without at the horrible faux brick and stucco painted panels
Marquee is more or less all glass, it just has a few small precast panels. The gigantic party walls at grade make it look like it isn’t though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5083  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 4:34 AM
TheHonestMaple's Avatar
TheHonestMaple TheHonestMaple is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Marquee is more or less all glass, it just has a few small precast panels. The gigantic party walls at grade make it look like it isn’t though.
Once the mac residence is built and that other condo proposal at the corner is finished, this block will look a lot better.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5084  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 3:46 PM
Innsertnamehere's Avatar
Innsertnamehere Innsertnamehere is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 12,902
Even the Mac building will make a huge difference as you won't really see the party wall from driving along King St anymore, which is how most people see it.

The party wall will be completely invisible from this angle in a year, for example:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2580804,...t1HIqEs04NnHHKJRb628Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

It'll basically only be visible once you are right up against the building:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2584007,...dDw5d0NhRDSAOcrZRo9ig!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5085  
Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 6:57 PM
TheRitsman TheRitsman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 3,055
Some new documents on the design review Panel page. I'm too busy to download everything and put it here. If someone else wants to go ahead, otherwise I'll do it either tonight or on the weekend.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5086  
Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 8:57 PM
craftbeerdad's Avatar
craftbeerdad craftbeerdad is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: LC <|> HMLTN
Posts: 507
Took this a few weeks back and I've seen subsequent drilling on this lot (Hunter/Catherine/Jackson). Usually that's a precursor to future development news. This location has a ton of surface lot space and across the street at 101 Hunter is a proposed tower, so imagine this would be for future residential as well based on location.


Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5087  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 3:56 PM
TheHonestMaple's Avatar
TheHonestMaple TheHonestMaple is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,833
New Horizon successful in bid to transform old Delta school into condos

I'm glad New Horizon won the bid. I think they'll do a good job on the project and will get it done a lot sooner that Indwell would have. I also prefer NH over Windmill, given that they're local. I'm not a big fan of Indwell projects. I understand the need for affordable housing. But I find most of their projects are downright ugly. I have faith New Horizon will at least use quality materials and a credible architect.

Also, craftbeerdad, that's awesome news. Thanks for sharing that picture. That empty lot is one of the biggest eyesores in the downtown. Really glad to hear that it might be getting filled in. It would be such a desirable location too given it's proximity to the GO Station.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5088  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 5:57 PM
ScreamingViking's Avatar
ScreamingViking ScreamingViking is offline
Ham-burgher
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 7,509
Indwell tends to move pretty fast so if they had financing lined up I'd think they'd have gotten on this right away.

Whether one likes/dislikes their funkier approach to design is just opinion, but at least they liven up their builds.

Indwell's disappointment is understandable, but I think New Horizon's plan is better for the neigbourhood. There will probably be more affordable units going up in the future along Main, so this may help ensure a better mix of incomes which will help create a market for a wider range of retail and services.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5089  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 6:22 PM
Innsertnamehere's Avatar
Innsertnamehere Innsertnamehere is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 12,902
Yup. There is already plenty of affordable housing projects in the area, it will be good to have some significant amount of new market housing in the area to support businesses. New Horizon tends to be fairly aggressive in their builds as well so there should be a decent amount of new units here.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5090  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 6:55 PM
matt602's Avatar
matt602 matt602 is offline
Hammer'd
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 4,785
Really wish Indwell had gotten it but overall I'm just glad it won't be sitting empty.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5091  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 9:00 PM
TheHonestMaple's Avatar
TheHonestMaple TheHonestMaple is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Yup. There is already plenty of affordable housing projects in the area, it will be good to have some significant amount of new market housing in the area to support businesses. New Horizon tends to be fairly aggressive in their builds as well so there should be a decent amount of new units here.
Yeah I'm hoping for three mid-rise towers in the back (6-8 floors), converting the rest of the building to lofts.

This is a fantastic opportunity to introduce hundreds of higher earning residents to the area in a small footprint that can support the businesses on Main Street and Ottawa.

I have also noticed that The Hamilton Spectator has run a few articles pushing the narrative that residents in the area wanted another Indwell development here. The article I shared just reeks of bias. I know a number of people from the neighbourhood that actually have already welcomed the decision to give it to NH. People want to be able to buy a home, even if it's just a condo. We need more condos.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5092  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2022, 1:04 AM
TheRitsman TheRitsman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 3,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
Yeah I'm hoping for three mid-rise towers in the back (6-8 floors), converting the rest of the building to lofts.

This is a fantastic opportunity to introduce hundreds of higher earning residents to the area in a small footprint that can support the businesses on Main Street and Ottawa.

I have also noticed that The Hamilton Spectator has run a few articles pushing the narrative that residents in the area wanted another Indwell development here. The article I shared just reeks of bias. I know a number of people from the neighbourhood that actually have already welcomed the decision to give it to NH. People want to be able to buy a home, even if it's just a condo. We need more condos.
Ill say a lot of condos really —, but also I hate when people — on condos. I love mid rise condo builds and missing middle housing and townhomes, but I also have loads of friends that love living in condos or rentals because they don't have to spend their lives repairing and maintaining —. They can just go out with friends and family and see stuff.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5093  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2022, 3:26 AM
TheHonestMaple's Avatar
TheHonestMaple TheHonestMaple is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Ill say a lot of condos really —, but also I hate when people — on condos. I love mid rise condo builds and missing middle housing and townhomes, but I also have loads of friends that love living in condos or rentals because they don't have to spend their lives repairing and maintaining —. They can just go out with friends and family and see stuff.
I agree. I live in a condo. I'd rather live in a proper detached house, but I just couldn't afford the down payment for one. I think condos are good in the sense that they give people the opportunity to own, with a slightly lower price tag. They also allow you to live in the city centre. Although I admit, condo fees —.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5094  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 8:03 PM
Wigs's Avatar
Wigs Wigs is offline
Great White North
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Niagara Region
Posts: 16,687
Does anyone have a list of how many projects/units were constructed in downtown Hamilton for 2021?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5095  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 9:08 PM
Innsertnamehere's Avatar
Innsertnamehere Innsertnamehere is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 12,902
were completed and occupied? not many, unless you count 154 Main which I believe started occupancies right in like the last week of the year. The last major building to reach occupancy downtown was Marquee in the fall of 2020.

The only new units would have been existing building renovations bringing old buildings back online, and that's likely only a handful. I know that 161 Wellington was renovated with 7 new units.. so 7?

This year will be a ton though. 154 Main, Platinum, 18 Augusta, KiWi, Royal Oak Dairy, the church at Main and West Avenue, Locke Street Lofts, and Gore Park lofts should all be finishing this year. IIRC it'll be about a thousand units.

We'll also likely having the King and Queen hotel, Effort Trust Building, and potentially Style Park finish up by the end of the year for new non-residential projects in the core.

Probably the best year for development downtown since Jackson Square opened
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5096  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 8:28 PM
craftbeerdad's Avatar
craftbeerdad craftbeerdad is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: LC <|> HMLTN
Posts: 507
Another drilling exercise behind Dr. Disc on Hughson/Wilson/Rebecca. Things are heating up!

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5097  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 9:08 PM
TheHonestMaple's Avatar
TheHonestMaple TheHonestMaple is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,833
Is there a known project planned there?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5098  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 9:33 PM
TheRitsman TheRitsman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 3,055
I wonder if it has anything to do with the purchase of the Dr Disc building.

Also this is one of my most hated parking lots downtown since it's so hidden I figured it would never be redeveloped. I hope this means there are plans. Perhaps it is a pre-sale condition to get soil testing done. I know that a lot of property purchasers request a soil sampling before buying.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5099  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 3:40 PM
TheHonestMaple's Avatar
TheHonestMaple TheHonestMaple is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,833
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5100  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 4:23 PM
TheRitsman TheRitsman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 3,055
While this was generally about downtown, I gotta say Radio Arts is going HAM on the marketing. They've got to be going for sale soon with a hope to sell out quickly.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:43 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.