HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #17541  
Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 8:21 PM
TempleGuy1000 TempleGuy1000 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
goon squad?? wow. So what is the new claim- that this bill is going to kill development in Philadelphia? I feel like we have heard that a few times in the recent years.
I will admit 'goon squad' was an immature nickname, but I find their performance and governance to be reprehensible. Few cities in this country are as apathetic towards their local government as Philadelphia is towards it's. Failure after failure after failure.

From the constant inability to pick up the trash on time, to get the sidewalks fixed, street lights replaced, to have someone answer 9-1-1, to not have your ticket immediately closed 5 mins after opening by 3-1-1. The list of very serious quality of life issues goes on and on in Philly. The very basic things people expect from a first world country aren't done correctly in Philadelphia. City council seemingly has no interest what so ever to address these very glaring quality of life issues that have a cascading negative effect on the community.

Quote:
No one should be surprised by these things- people in council are not elected by developers.
No one should be surprised that our city council is purposefully making real estate more exclusive and expensive through misguided means? While neglecting the many other things I listed before? I don't give two squats about "developers", I am literally just a person looking to buy a house in Philly and am amazed at how much of a rip off most houses are because there is limited inventory and multiple people bidding at the same time.

Here's some reading for you, Cardeza, so you can be more informed on the topic and how inclusionary zoning laws are actually killing affordable housing being built in the 'super star cities' like SF, BOS, and NYC. Feel free to tell me why the authors are wrong. I would be curious.

Why It’s Wrong to Turn Down Half a Loaf of Affordable Housing

Is inclusionary zoning creating less affordable housing?

'We Haven’t Advanced At All': Bowser Addresses Failure To Add Affordable Housing In D.C.'s Wealthy Enclaves

If IZ is throwing the cost ratio off in the super star cities, what is it going to do in our not super-star, but still high union and material costs, city?

Last edited by TempleGuy1000; Dec 20, 2021 at 8:37 PM.
     
     
  #17542  
Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 8:34 PM
iheartphilly's Avatar
iheartphilly iheartphilly is offline
Philly Rising Up!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: motherEarth
Posts: 3,263
And if you run a small business in Philly, the dysfunction is like 10X. TBT, I blame the people who are suppose to do their jobs as much as city government officials.

Bottom line is you can't make people care about their jobs and the service that they should provide but still want to collect a paycheck and game the system. It's a systemic problem. It's a shame, because there's no pride in the service they provide. It's like you are an annoyance to them if you need something or have questions. They aren't there really to help.
     
     
  #17543  
Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 10:01 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Quite the Pivot at 5th & Bainbridge – No Target, More Density, Less Parking

Current site:


Rendering:


Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-philly/q...idge-no-target-more-density-less-parking
     
     
  #17544  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 2:28 AM
AnEmperorPenguin AnEmperorPenguin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
No one should be surprised by these things- people in council are not elected by developers.


I don't know that driving up housing cost is really going to be hitting "developers" the hardest or that people that build housing are the bad guys in a scenario where you need more housing
     
     
  #17545  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 2:49 AM
PurpleWhiteOut PurpleWhiteOut is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Quite the Pivot at 5th & Bainbridge – No Target, More Density, Less Parking
Rendering:
This looks FAR better/less cheap, I just wish it had red brick or more color somewhere. I'm just personally not a huge fan of all the white and black in a colorful red brick and paint filled city. On the other hand, the red brick and panel look of the old rendering looked awful
     
     
  #17546  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 3:42 PM
Insoluble Insoluble is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Quite the Pivot at 5th & Bainbridge – No Target, More Density, Less Parking

Current site:


Rendering:


Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-philly/q...idge-no-target-more-density-less-parking
Oh hell yes! Can't wait for this stupid surface lot to go. This looks like terrific density for the area. Build it!
     
     
  #17547  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 7:21 PM
CleetMcDougle's Avatar
CleetMcDougle CleetMcDougle is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 112
http://www.rising.realestate/45-unit-mix...&utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkin.bio

Fishtown continuing to build out closer to the river!



     
     
  #17548  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 10:04 PM
EastSideHBG's Avatar
EastSideHBG EastSideHBG is offline
Me?!?
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Philadelphia Metro
Posts: 10,805
Wawa Closes Another Philadelphia Store Due To Operational Challenges, Other Factors

Wawa has shut down another Philadelphia location for good. The store at 13th and Chestnut Streets closed Monday.

The company says operational challenges along with other factors led to the decision to close the store.

https://philadelphia-cbslocal-com.cdn.am...hia-store-center-city-chestnut-street%2F
__________________
Right before your eyes you're victimized, guys, that's the world of today and it ain't civilized.
     
     
  #17549  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 10:13 PM
chimpskibot chimpskibot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Wawa Closes Another Philadelphia Store Due To Operational Challenges, Other Factors

Wawa has shut down another Philadelphia location for good. The store at 13th and Chestnut Streets closed Monday.

The company says operational challenges along with other factors led to the decision to close the store.
Idk why Wawa has about a handful of locations within a 10 minute walk from each other. Seems a little excessive. Although this is sad, CC is coming back strong with ground floor leasing at least in my neighborhood. And more stores are expected to open next year which is nice!
     
     
  #17550  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 10:54 PM
EastSideHBG's Avatar
EastSideHBG EastSideHBG is offline
Me?!?
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Philadelphia Metro
Posts: 10,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpskibot View Post
Idk why Wawa has about a handful of locations within a 10 minute walk from each other. Seems a little excessive. Although this is sad, CC is coming back strong with ground floor leasing at least in my neighborhood. And more stores are expected to open next year which is nice!
On a related note I found this article and the map to be interesting:

Center City pedestrian traffic is rebounding, but office occupancy remains low
The number of people in Center City each day is increasing, but where they are headed tells a story of pandemic recovery.
https://technical.ly/philly/2021/12/14/center-city-pedestrians-office-occupancy/
__________________
Right before your eyes you're victimized, guys, that's the world of today and it ain't civilized.
     
     
  #17551  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 1:08 AM
kool-ski kool-ski is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 141
Great news!!! The property above the Beury Building on the SE corner of Broad & Butler Streets just received a building permit today!!

COMMERCIAL BUILDING PERMIT: CP-2021-006722

Quote:
FOR THE ERECTION OF AN ATTACHED STRUCTURE. FOR A VACANT COMMERCIAL SPACE AT FIRST FLOOR ( USE REGISTRATION AND FIT-OUT PERMITS REQUIRED PRIOR TO OCCUPANCY) IN THE SAME BUILDING WITH MULTI-FAMILY HOUSEHOLD LIVING( 113 DWELLING UNITS) WITH FOURTY-FOUR(44) ACCESSORY SURFACE PARKING SPACES
https://eclipse.phila.gov/phillylmsprod/...sentation=Public&PosseObjectId=397033628
     
     
  #17552  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 1:33 AM
Jayfar's Avatar
Jayfar Jayfar is offline
Midrise
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool-ski View Post
Great news!!! The property above the Beury Building on the SE corner of Broad & Butler Streets just received a building permit today!!

COMMERCIAL BUILDING PERMIT: CP-2021-006722



https://eclipse.phila.gov/phillylmsprod/...sentation=Public&PosseObjectId=397033628
Even better news is the building permit issued a couple weeks ago for the landmark Beury Building itself, the long-awaited conversion to a hotel!

https://eclipse.phila.gov/phillylmsprod/...sentation=Public&PosseObjectId=393070323
Commercial Building Permit CP-2021-006242 (Issued)
Type of Work: Addition and/or Alteration
Approved Scope of Work: FOR LEVEL 3 ALTERATIONS TO AN EXISTING HIGH-RISE BUILDING FOR HOTEL USE AS PER PLANS
.…
Number of Stories of Work: 14
__________________
Philadelphia Industrial & Commercial Heritage
A public Facebook group to promote appreciation of Greater Philadelphia's industrial and commercial history and advocate for historic preservation and adaptive re-use.

Last edited by Jayfar; Dec 22, 2021 at 1:51 AM.
     
     
  #17553  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 1:38 AM
PurpleWhiteOut PurpleWhiteOut is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
Even better news is the building permit issued a couple weeks ago for the landmark Beury Building itself, the long-awaited conversion to a hotel!
Commercial Building Permit CP-2021-006242 (Issued)
Type of Work: Addition and/or Alteration
Approved Scope of Work: FOR LEVEL 3 ALTERATIONS TO AN EXISTING HIGH-RISE BUILDING FOR HOTEL USE AS PER PLANS
.…
Number of Stories of Work: 14
Amazing! The Beauy building and 2700 N Broad moving forward is so huge. They're "beacons of blight" just like the Divine Lorraine used to be. I'm partial to North Philly and North Broad, and I'm so excited to see it.
     
     
  #17554  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 8:14 AM
kool-ski kool-ski is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
Even better news is the building permit issued a couple weeks ago for the landmark Beury Building itself, the long-awaited conversion to a hotel!

https://eclipse.phila.gov/phillylmsprod/...sentation=Public&PosseObjectId=393070323
Commercial Building Permit CP-2021-006242 (Issued)
Type of Work: Addition and/or Alteration
Approved Scope of Work: FOR LEVEL 3 ALTERATIONS TO AN EXISTING HIGH-RISE BUILDING FOR HOTEL USE AS PER PLANS
.…
Number of Stories of Work: 14
Yes!! I vaguely remembered seeing that permit too and forgot to post it and/or tie it together with this one. Thanks for pointing out that important nugget and, like you said, even better news.
     
     
  #17555  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 1:18 PM
PhilliesPhan's Avatar
PhilliesPhan PhilliesPhan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Wawa Closes Another Philadelphia Store Due To Operational Challenges, Other Factors

Wawa has shut down another Philadelphia location for good. The store at 13th and Chestnut Streets closed Monday.

The company says operational challenges along with other factors led to the decision to close the store.

https://philadelphia-cbslocal-com.cdn.am...hia-store-center-city-chestnut-street%2F
I work very close to the 13th and Chestnut location. Whenever I'm in the office, I see little need to go there: the store at 12th and Market is larger and better-stocked. If I have a light meeting schedule, I'll even make my way over to the 6th and Chestnut location before 13th and Chestnut. In fact, the only time I really patronize the store at 13th and Chestnut is when I need drunk food after doing karaoke at McGillin's.

It probably made more sense to have stores at 12th and Market, 13th and Chestnut, and Broad and Walnut back when office occupancy rates were normal. Although foot traffic is ticking back up, and people are returning to the office at a faster rate here in Philadelphia than few other places in the country (so I've heard from management), the Wawa market was likely oversaturated.
__________________
No one outsmarts a Fox!

Temple University '18 ']['
     
     
  #17556  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 2:29 PM
EastSideHBG's Avatar
EastSideHBG EastSideHBG is offline
Me?!?
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Philadelphia Metro
Posts: 10,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I work very close to the 13th and Chestnut location. Whenever I'm in the office, I see little need to go there: the store at 12th and Market is larger and better-stocked. If I have a light meeting schedule, I'll even make my way over to the 6th and Chestnut location before 13th and Chestnut. In fact, the only time I really patronize the store at 13th and Chestnut is when I need drunk food after doing karaoke at McGillin's.

It probably made more sense to have stores at 12th and Market, 13th and Chestnut, and Broad and Walnut back when office occupancy rates were normal. Although foot traffic is ticking back up, and people are returning to the office at a faster rate here in Philadelphia than few other places in the country (so I've heard from management), the Wawa market was likely oversaturated.
Very true. That store had a lot of issues too and depending on when you went it wasn't always a fun place to be. And re: oversaturated I agree and it seems like WaWa was doing a smaller scale Starbucks approach where they oversaturate a market, get what they can from it, and then slowly close the "underperformers".
__________________
Right before your eyes you're victimized, guys, that's the world of today and it ain't civilized.
     
     
  #17557  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 2:59 PM
iamrobk iamrobk is offline
Future World Dictator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I work very close to the 13th and Chestnut location. Whenever I'm in the office, I see little need to go there: the store at 12th and Market is larger and better-stocked. If I have a light meeting schedule, I'll even make my way over to the 6th and Chestnut location before 13th and Chestnut. In fact, the only time I really patronize the store at 13th and Chestnut is when I need drunk food after doing karaoke at McGillin's.

It probably made more sense to have stores at 12th and Market, 13th and Chestnut, and Broad and Walnut back when office occupancy rates were normal. Although foot traffic is ticking back up, and people are returning to the office at a faster rate here in Philadelphia than few other places in the country (so I've heard from management), the Wawa market was likely oversaturated.
Yeah, agreed that the 12th and Market and 13th and Chestnut locations were too close to make much sense, but this closure is unfortunate because it means the only Wawa serving the entire Rittenhouse neighborhood is the 16th and Chestnut one, which is pretty small (and IIRC was intended to be like a mobile ordering, pick up only store, although that seems to have changed). Just off-hand, I think a Wawa in the former Fox and Hound location at 15th and Spruce would do very well, though I'm guessing that space will eventually become another bar/restaurant.
     
     
  #17558  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 4:32 PM
Mayormccheese Mayormccheese is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrobk View Post
Yeah, agreed that the 12th and Market and 13th and Chestnut locations were too close to make much sense, but this closure is unfortunate because it means the only Wawa serving the entire Rittenhouse neighborhood is the 16th and Chestnut one, which is pretty small (and IIRC was intended to be like a mobile ordering, pick up only store, although that seems to have changed). Just off-hand, I think a Wawa in the former Fox and Hound location at 15th and Spruce would do very well, though I'm guessing that space will eventually become another bar/restaurant.
There’s a wawa at 20th and market which serves the rittenhouse neighborhood. Not really sure why the rittenhouse neighborhood needs a wawa though. There’s plenty of other stores in the area that offer what wawa does
     
     
  #17559  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 5:35 PM
PHLtoNYC PHLtoNYC is online now
Chris
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,685
Call me crazy, but I am happy to see this Wawa go. This space will be filled quickly, and hopefully by a nicer fast-casual option. &Pizza and several awesome ice-cream brands have expanded nearby, hopefully we see something similar. Plus, most Wawa's in CC are not desirable places to be near.
     
     
  #17560  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 6:50 PM
Mayormccheese Mayormccheese is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Call me crazy, but I am happy to see this Wawa go. This space will be filled quickly, and hopefully by a nicer fast-casual option. &Pizza and several awesome ice-cream brands have expanded nearby, hopefully we see something similar. Plus, most Wawa's in CC are not desirable places to be near.
Chestnut st from juniper to 12th is a little rough. I hope this gets filled with something quickl
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:18 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.