Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito
They are using a tram as a metro. They have had major issues with it from day one. These cars are not meant to be used like a metro but that is how they are operated. It will be a never ending story with these trains.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6gMK4uT62E&t=16s
This video was made before the derailment. The nations capital deserves better.
|
I agree that the system should have been a high floor light metro from day one but, as nouvellecosse mentioned, they originally planned for extensions of the line to run at grade on the surface, and then ditched that when the line was already well into development.
I'm not sure if the major technical faults with the O-Train have to do with the fact that the vehicles are 100% low floor, but when it's time to retire these trainsets, I hope they go with the 70% lowfloor solution that's used in cities like Minneapolis, Seattle or Phoenix. Those vehicles tend to be less complicated and, frankly, have better internal circulation for anyone who isn't bound by a wheelchair (people in a wheelchair still have easy access).