HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 6:46 PM

Sure, Why Not Another Apartment Building at 42nd & Chestnut?

Current site:

Quote:
Since the summer, we’ve told you about more projects on Chestnut Street in West Philly than we can even remember, off the cuff. These new projects make all the sense in the world, as Penn remains one of the biggest job centers in town, ditto the hospital system nearby, and the University City Science Center continues to grow as the years roll along. Despite the explosion in new construction in the neighborhoods to the north, south, and west of Penn, Chestnut Street hasn’t seen as many projects as you might expect to date, given its tremendous location, its general underuse, and its development-friendly zoning. That started changing in the last couple years as Alterra has built a couple sizable buildings on the 4100 and 4200 blocks, and other developers are preparing to enter the fray, moving as far west as 47th Street.

Yesterday, we discovered a new zoning permit for the northwest corner of 42nd & Chestnut. This property has been home for years to Pakistani restaurant Kabobeesh, occupying what looks like a building that was originally built as a trolley car diner. The permit indicates the consolidation of two lots, demolition of the buildings on the site, and the construction of a new mixed-use building with retail on the first floor and 63 units upstairs. We will cross our fingers that Kabobeesh will be the commercial tenant in the new building, but we have a feeling that this won’t be the case.
Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...-42nd-chestnut

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 6:52 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Why are you looking at this as a solely Philadelphia issue? While I agree that the homicide rate was ticking up in 2017, 2018 and 2019, the MAIN DRIVERS for 2020 and 2021 really need to be separated. COVID, the George Floyd Protests and rioting/looting, the Black Lives Matter movement, the defund the police movement, etc. etc.... these are all things that happened in 2020 that are the main drivers behind what we're seeing now. These events also sent crime and homicide rates skyrocketing across the US.... not just Philly.

While I agree this is something we need to get under control, every city across the country is dealing with increased crime and homicide rates right now. Philly's not alone in this. That's something we can take solace in at the very least.
But we are leading the pack, we were the poorest big city in the nation (but it looks like this year we will be bumped by Cleveland) and there's many quality of life issues that need to be addressed; and some of the policies continue to go in the wrong direction.

Your point is not lost on me and yes there are certainly issues at the national level but it's important to note that some issues really are (or maybe more accurately should be) Philly's and Philly's alone. There's many amazing things taking place in pockets of the city so why not harness that momentum fully by cleaning things up vs this bizarre almost apathy at this point that we are seeing now?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 6:55 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
For folks living in the surrounding neighborhoods and sick of almost getting run down:
https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/...e=direct_link&

What is the deal? This (IMO) is another example of City Hall incompetency, which kind of relates to the other ongoing discussion.
The community has spoken, it's time to move Washington Avenue into the future. What am I missing?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
For folks living in the surrounding neighborhoods and sick of almost getting run down:
https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/...e=direct_link&
Thanks for posting this. So sick of the delays on this one. Washington ave is a disaster and I have to cross it with my kid on a regular basis. Signed it and e-mailed my councilperson. They need to start this ASAP.

On an unrelated note, I passed the new 7 floor building going up at Broad and Bainbridge today. Looking good. We could use about 10 more of these along that stretch of Broad street honestly.

20211202_133249 (photo by me)

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
But we are leading the pack, we were the poorest big city in the nation (but it looks like this year we will be bumped by Cleveland) and there's many quality of life issues that need to be addressed; and some of the policies continue to go in the wrong direction.

Your point is not lost on me and yes there are certainly issues at the national level but it's important to note that some issues really are (or maybe more accurately should be) Philly's and Philly's alone. There's many amazing things taking place in pockets of the city so why not harness that momentum fully by cleaning things up vs this bizarre almost apathy at this point that we are seeing now?
I don't disagree with you that at the end of the day these are Philly's problems and we need to address them ASAP. I was just saying these things are happening all across the country, so we can AT LEAST take solace in that that Philly is not alone in this fight.

Plus, there are many things outside of Philadelphia's control that really boil down to the national level as well - main thing off the top of my head is the gun laws (or lack there of) in this country.

But, Philadelphia is not the "poorest" big city in America. That's such an inaccurate statement. Of the top 10 largest cities in the US, Philadelphia is the poorest, but only at the city limits level. When you look at the entire metropolitan area as a whole it's not. Furthermore, when you look at median household incomes and poverty rates, Philadelphia is surpassed or right in line with many other cities. When you look at the Rust Belt cities and cities with similar demographics to Philadelphia, it makes sense.

What Philadelphia has above ALL of these cities is Center City. None of these other cities have anything even remotely close. Now, the development/redevelopment/gentrification radiating out of Center City/University City is only going to continue to boost Philly as the years go on. We just need to get this sudden bump in homicides/crime under control and there will be nothing to stop Philadelphia's resurgence.

Median Household Income 2021

Detroit - $30,894
Cleveland - $30,904
Newark - $35,199
Buffalo - $37,354
Miami - $39,049
Cincinnati - $40,640
Memphis - $41,228
New Orleans - $41,604
Milwaukee - $41,838
St. Louis - $43,896
Philadelphia - $45,927
Indianapolis - $47,873
Pittsburgh - $48,711
Houston - $50,338
Baltimore - $50,379

Poverty Rate 2021

Detroit - 35%
Cleveland - 32.7%
Buffalo - 30.1%
Newark - 27.4%
Cincinnati - 26.3%
Milwaukee - 25.4%
Memphis - 25.1%
Philadelphia - 24.3%
New Orleans - 23.7%
Miami - 23.4%
St. Louis - 21.8%
Baltimore - 21.2%
Pittsburgh - 20.5%
Indianapolis - 20.1%
Houston - 20.1%

All info from US Census Bureau Quick Facts:
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...e/US/PST045219

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Well then, I think we agree overall. Crime was ticking up in 2017, 2018 and 2019 BECAUSE of the mayor, the current police commissioner, and the current DA. I don't believe it would've ever gotten this bad though if not for the events that unfolded in 2020 that exacerbated all of these issues and sent a lot of these issues in most cities in the US skyrocketing through the ceiling.
Well said.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Permits Issued For 453-Unit Residential Building At 2621-67 Frankford Avenue In East Kensington

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/12/perm...ensington.html
This development is massive! It blows my mind seeing new projects spilling over Lehigh too. Even what American is starting to become is radical.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
This development is massive! It blows my mind seeing new projects spilling over Lehigh too. Even what American is starting to become is radical.
Honestly really do love this project. There are also some smaller buildings going up a little bit east along Lehigh. Some great spots, the Kensington Co-op is right across the street from this. It's filling an empty lot, and it's right near transit. 13 minute walk to York-Dauphin, and hell maybe it can help revitalize Somerset as that's only an 8 minute walk.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 8:47 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
But, Philadelphia is not the "poorest" big city in America. That's such an inaccurate statement. Of the top 10 largest cities in the US, Philadelphia is the poorest, but only at the city limits level.
Right, so exactly what I said. The metro means little in the context of this discussion because Media and West Chester are not going to be helping the city out with its issues (just as the city will not be assisting Norristown or Chester).

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 9:16 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoluble View Post
Thanks for posting this. So sick of the delays on this one. Washington ave is a disaster and I have to cross it with my kid on a regular basis. Signed it and e-mailed my councilperson. They need to start this ASAP.

On an unrelated note, I passed the new 7 floor building going up at Broad and Bainbridge today. Looking good. We could use about 10 more of these along that stretch of Broad street honestly.

20211202_133249 (photo by me)
Interesting, I thought above 5 stories required full steel framing. This is 2 steel + 5 wood. Has that always been the case?

Quote:
I don't disagree with you that at the end of the day these are Philly's problems and we need to address them ASAP. I was just saying these things are happening all across the country, so we can AT LEAST take solace in that that Philly is not alone in this fight.

Plus, there are many things outside of Philadelphia's control that really boil down to the national level as well - main thing off the top of my head is the gun laws (or lack there of) in this country.

But, Philadelphia is not the "poorest" big city in America. That's such an inaccurate statement. Of the top 10 largest cities in the US, Philadelphia is the poorest, but only at the city limits level. When you look at the entire metropolitan area as a whole it's not. Furthermore, when you look at median household incomes and poverty rates, Philadelphia is surpassed or right in line with many other cities. When you look at the Rust Belt cities and cities with similar demographics to Philadelphia, it makes sense.

What Philadelphia has above ALL of these cities is Center City. None of these other cities have anything even remotely close. Now, the development/redevelopment/gentrification radiating out of Center City/University City is only going to continue to boost Philly as the years go on. We just need to get this sudden bump in homicides/crime under control and there will be nothing to stop Philadelphia's resurgence.

Median Household Income 2021

Detroit - $30,894
Cleveland - $30,904
Newark - $35,199
Buffalo - $37,354
Miami - $39,049
Cincinnati - $40,640
Memphis - $41,228
New Orleans - $41,604
Milwaukee - $41,838
St. Louis - $43,896
Philadelphia - $45,927
Indianapolis - $47,873
Pittsburgh - $48,711
Houston - $50,338
Baltimore - $50,379

Poverty Rate 2021

Detroit - 35%
Cleveland - 32.7%
Buffalo - 30.1%
Newark - 27.4%
Cincinnati - 26.3%
Milwaukee - 25.4%
Memphis - 25.1%
Philadelphia - 24.3%
New Orleans - 23.7%
Miami - 23.4%
St. Louis - 21.8%
Baltimore - 21.2%
Pittsburgh - 20.5%
Indianapolis - 20.1%
Houston - 20.1%

All info from US Census Bureau Quick Facts:
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...e/US/PST045219
To your last point, Philadelphia was beginning to chip away at the iceberg in terms of reducing poverty (pre-Covid), then Covid messed that up. The trajectory I measured actually had Houston and Philadelphia switching places in the coming years. It would be great for Philadelphia to lose the "poorest big city" title, which leaves a lot of room for misinterpretations. (cities over 1M people only is the the correct interpretation).

And while not super relevant to the city, the metro region ranks very high in terms of relative wealth, incomes, etc. in-line with Chicago and higher than Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, even LA. For whatever reason that surprises some on City Data.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 1:48 PM
Philly Rising Up!

another Navy Yard bldg set for construction with financing in hand:

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...navy-yard.html

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
another Navy Yard bldg set for construction with financing in hand:

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...navy-yard.html
"Gattuso Development Partners has secured construction financing to begin the development of a $50 million-plus, 130,000-square-foot life sciences manufacturing facility at the Philadelphia Navy Yard. The funding for 2500 League Island Blvd. was provided by Citizens Bank as well as Boston-based investment firm Baupost Group, which is Gattuso Development’s financial partner. This is the first time Baupost has invested in a Philadelphia-based development and it continues a recent trend of firms from outside of the region entering the market to take a financial stake in its growing life sciences industry.

The flex building, designed by Sitio Architects of Philadelphia, will mainly have current good manufacturing practice (cGMP) production space, labs, as well as some office space. Demand for these type of specialized manufacturing facilities is growing amid a market that is in short supply of it."

Expected to be finished by the end of next year.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 6:54 PM

Permits Issued For 136-Unit Building At 4145 Chestnut Street

Aerial of current site:

Aerial rendering:

Rendering:

Rendering:

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/12/perm...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 7:08 PM

Gattuso Development Partners lines up financing for new Navy Yard building

Quote:
Gattuso Development Partners has secured construction financing to begin the development of a $50 million-plus, 130,000-square-foot life sciences manufacturing facility at the Philadelphia Navy Yard.

The funding for 2500 League Island Blvd. was provided by Citizens Bank as well as Boston-based investment firm Baupost Group, which is Gattuso Development’s financial partner. This is the first time Baupost has invested in a Philadelphia-based development and it continues a recent trend of firms from outside of the region entering the market to take a financial stake in its growing life sciences industry.

The flex building, designed by Sitio Architects of Philadelphia, will mainly have current good manufacturing practice (cGMP) production space, labs, as well as some office space. Demand for these type of specialized manufacturing facilities is growing amid a market that is in short supply of it.

The building will join several other life sciences manufacturing and lab facilities at the Navy Yard including Adaptimmune Therapeutics, WuXi AppTec, and Iovance Biotherapeutics, which Gattuso Development built. A venture between Ensemble Real Estate Investments and Mosaic Development Partners is planning additional life sciences buildings at the Navy Yard, further solidifying it as a hub for the industry.
Read/view more in link below. Rendering available to see in the link below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 8:14 PM

i think its funny how people totally avoid talking about PA's gun laws when discussing the carnage on the streets. Almost every major city that has far lower homicide rate resides in a state with significantly tighter gun laws. If people haven't noticed Camden has not seen the same sort of spike that we have seen here- its right across the river and it's relatively poor. Philly's murder rate was too high BEFORE 2020- it just hit new ridiculous levels in the last two years. No state in this part of the country is more lax with gun laws than PA.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 8:16 PM

Holy shit. I see there’s no point in talking with some people. Lesson learned. Deleting the off topic posts. Let’s move on

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Holy shit. I see there’s no point in talking with some people. Lesson learned. Deleting the off topic posts. Let’s move on
Must be nice to silence your critics. You're a piece of work.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Must be nice to silence your critics. You're a piece of work.
I’m removing every off topic post. Mine and others. Keep it up dude.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 8:24 PM

Quote:
I’m removing every off topic post. Mine and others. Keep it up dude.
Lol

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
“Income inequality, lack of good paying jobs in these communities, lack of basic education” - these issues have been around for a long time. The homicide rate had actually been dropping significantly in the city until 2017 when it started increasing again year over year. As has been pointed out, there have been significant policy changes in many major cites that coincide with these statistics.
It also coincides with our police department throwing in the towel on attempting to solve violent crimes. It's really strange how that is never a part of this conversation.

Quote:
An Inquirer analysis of all shooting incidents between January 2015 and November 2020, including both fatal and nonfatal shootings, found that out of 8,500 incidents only 21% resulted in an arrest or charge. Source.
Maybe the increase in crime in recent years has been impacted by the close to 80% of shootings that have gone unsolved over the previous half decade.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development