HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I haven't heard anything about the West Coast being too 'sanitized', so that's a very weird perspective in my book. But I have heard an anecdote about (SF in particular) having lost its life and vibrancy, and that Chicago felt far more energetic and interesting. And this from a Bay Area native
I've been in California some in the last few months. L.A. certainly isn't too sanitized. I just wish more of the good stuff was in one area instead of being spread out in a hundred auto-oriented strips.

But the rest of Southern California seems like a new Lifestyle Center mall to me, especially Orange County. San Diego and the rest of Southern California all sort of feels like a Hampton Inn.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 7:50 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Not sure what happened, but Google Maps 3D view of Chicago went back in time, whereas just a few days ago they were showing completed projects through the beginning of the year (the Rubenstein Center at UC, St. Regis, the green roof on top of the Old Post Office), they've all reverted back maybe a year or so
Very odd

Last edited by sentinel; Nov 25, 2021 at 6:20 PM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 4:27 AM

^ A bunch of cities rolled back. Discovered that this morning.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 9:13 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Well, my adoration of Chicago definitely was rekindled a bit this weekend when we stayed downtown for my wife's conference. Albeit it was a token family oriented weekend (swimming pool, Shedd Aquarium, taking kids to the arcade, etc) but the city felt as vibrant as it has been for a long time since COVID.

I am disappointed in the loss of stores to COVID/rioting scumbags and ecommerce that we may never get back (thanks, techie douche bros! ) but either way we had a really nice time.
The biggest difference, despite tourist numbers, is business/employee numbers. The weekend/evening numbers are likely as high as ever, but the weekday numbers are still lower even though there are some offices opened up again.

Plus, outside of downtown, recreational numbers are low. I've been to Boystown on several Thursday, historically a big night out, where only the Lucky Horseshoe seemed busy, but not Roscoe's or Sidetrack.

And even the Lucky Horseshoe only had two out of three bars open.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Nov 28, 2021, 6:57 PM

Hi everyone on the Chicago forum, I visited Chicago for the first time a month ago. Chicago greatly impressed me. The Loop felt like a great, stately downtown. The bank buildings looked like they would last a thousand years which I guess is the point because they want to create a sense of security for deposits. The people I met were friendly and the food was varied and delicious. The River North area is hot!

The Chicago Culture Center, which is a former public library, has one of the most beautiful ceilings and glass domes of any building I have ever seen. The whole Gold Coast area is a gem of a neighborhood.

I felt very safe walking around downtown, River North, Hyde Park, Fulton Market, Gold Coast, Chinatown, and Little India areas. I saw very few homeless people. Riding the L train was not fun because there were many annoying or sketchy people and, unlike walking, I was trapped in the same train car as them.

It was discouraging to return to my hotel, turn on the TV, and read about a surge in carjackings in Chicago.

Chicagoans, you live in an amazing, world class city!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 1:07 AM
Plenary pleasures.

Sorry for the sad news, but Virgil Abloh, the Chicago-reared and based Creative Director/Head Designer for Louis Vuitton and his own line 'Off-White' has died at 41 after battling a rare cancer. He was born in Rockford and received his Master of Architecture degree at IIT. He was an extremely influential designer who helped make street wear visible and accepted in high-fashion circles around the world. RIP :'(

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geographer View Post
Hi everyone on the Chicago forum, I visited Chicago for the first time a month ago. Chicago greatly impressed me. The Loop felt like a great, stately downtown. The bank buildings looked like they would last a thousand years which I guess is the point because they want to create a sense of security for deposits. The people I met were friendly and the food was varied and delicious. The River North area is hot!

The Chicago Culture Center, which is a former public library, has one of the most beautiful ceilings and glass domes of any building I have ever seen. The whole Gold Coast area is a gem of a neighborhood.

I felt very safe walking around downtown, River North, Hyde Park, Fulton Market, Gold Coast, Chinatown, and Little India areas. I saw very few homeless people. Riding the L train was not fun because there were many annoying or sketchy people and, unlike walking, I was trapped in the same train car as them.

It was discouraging to return to my hotel, turn on the TV, and read about a surge in carjackings in Chicago.

Chicagoans, you live in an amazing, world class city!
It is a great city and the public transit part is a crap shoot. Sometimes what you describe won't happen and other times it might. Definitely not like you describe all the time.

With that being said..what you've experienced is actually living through a place for a handful (?) of days. Imagine being someone too afraid to visit because of what you hear in the news. Contrast that to what you experienced first hand. I don't want to devolve this into a political discussion or anything but it's a bit annoying living in any city with a bunch of people judging a city that they not only don't live in but have never even been. These things are way more nuanced than even people who live here know about.

Glad you enjoyed yourself. Come back in the summer. Summers in Chicago are amazing and the city really comes alive then.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 4:44 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Sorry for the sad news, but Virgil Abloh, the Chicago-reared and based Creative Director/Head Designer for Louis Vuitton and his own line 'Off-White' has died at 41 after battling a rare cancer. He was born in Rockford and received his Master of Architecture degree at IIT. He was an extremely influential designer who helped make street wear visible and accepted in high-fashion circles around the world. RIP :'(
heartbreaking.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 7:43 PM
1st Ward

Heard about this on the radio. Terrible news, especially for someone who is so young. My thoughts go out to his friends and family.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Funny anecdote: a close architect friend whom I've known since college moved out to SoCal in June after finding a really good job out there. She lived in Chicago her whole life, but always wanted to live near a (saltwater) beach/warm climate. She loved it at first, but I just spoke with her and she said she can't wait to move back. I asked her why, and she said "there is energy in Chicago, it feels alive. Everything here is too...sanitized, and perfect. Almost everyone I meet is very nice and thoughtful, but it's also about getting 'connected', not necessarily making friends, etc. There are no flaws. That's not what a city is, that's not a life. That's a museum, very well-curated, but doesn't tell the real story." It blew my mind to hear her say that, especially after her wanting to move out there for the past 8-10 years.

Again, just an interesting anecdote, didn't know where else to put it..
Being in Cambridge, MA area for school currently I'm always counting down the days until my next trip back to Chicago. It truly has no rival

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 3:50 AM
Urbane observer

Prof. Thomas Leslie occasionally posts to his Twitter account, @thomasleslieaia , a little game some of you might enjoy: name that Chicago highrise, based on its floorplan. If you're impatient, you'll find the answers on his Twitter account.

The first one wasn't particularly difficult:

Rather more difficult was one he posted this week:

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 3:39 PM

1: Jhc
2: Cbot

30 second answer

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 3:55 PM
devout Pizzatarian

i think the 1st one is 55 w wacker.

CBOT, with its addition in back, is a good guess for the second one, but the proportions look off to me. it certainly looks like a floor plan of two distinct parts married together.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 4:00 PM

^naw, the first one is obviously the brutalist 55 W Wacker designed by CF Murphy (the prior iteration of JAHN)...

The second is the stainless steel Harris Bank addition on to the east of the original on Monroe...

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 4:10 PM

Second one looks like the Harris Bank complex. Came to mind because I always found it strange how the block is joined together and you can tell one of the building in plan is older.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 6:52 PM

It's definitely the Harris Bank Building plus the east annex. I got it right away this morning but didn't bother logging in to comment. Then again I've been in the building a few times and worked more frequently in the Field Building next door. It's interesting seeing this plan that when the annex was built all of the egress stairs were relocated into it, leaving none in the original building.

I've always found the connection between the buildings at the back to back elevator banks rather awkward.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 7:47 PM
TL;DR

Interesting to bring that up, as BMO Harris will be vacating that building once they move to Union Station, and Bank of America already vacated the Field Building. Between the two, there is a whole city block of basically unused office space.

Not sure what happens to these buildings but certainly the city's proposed tax incentives will help reuse. Hotel is the obvious choice but there's already a lot of hotels in the area. Would love to see a big residential conversion here.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2021, 5:22 AM

I actually love the Harris addition combo, it's like the orignal "historical contrast is good" building.

One dream adaptive reuse for me is Chase Tower into condos or apartments. Or at least the upper floors that are super narrow. Would probably command top dollar especially if you built a tiered roof deck on top.

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Dec 5, 2021, 4:28 PM
Urbane observer

floorplans quiz

Yes, for those who didn't go look, the first floorplan posted was 55 West Wacker.

The second was Harris Bank—but prior to the big 1972 addition at the corner of LaSalle. Only the original midblock building (Shepley, Rutan & Coolidge, 1911) and the almost-delicate 1960 Skidmore Owings & Merrill annex at the corner of Clark.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2022, 12:44 AM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
A major issue with the Blick store is it wasn’t functional. Anyone that’s ever shopped there knows how problematic the store layout is. A single level with wide aisles will probably work for them better.

Regarding the Uniqlo on state. I don’t recall any signs indicating a closure as of late December. Pretty sure I would have noticed that.

I wish that somehow a grocery store could be implemented into the upper floors of block 37. Maybe that escalator on Dearborn could take you up into the center of the store which would occupy both floors 2 and 3.

Someday I hope the old Office Depot and urban outfitters will be replaced with a high rise. A hotel or residential will do
Speaking of Block 37, has anything been discussed about the mothballed, lower levels that were supposed to connect to a new CTA stop? I feel that entire affair highlights Chicago and Illinois biggest issues when it comes to infrastructure: lots and LOTS of potential, but no one smart or ethical enough to make it work.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest