Quote:
Originally Posted by DTcrawler
From Chianello's article:
I'm confused, based on reports I've seen (admittedly, on Reddit), the issue of trains slowing to a crawl in the aforementioned section seems to have arisen after the return to service last Friday. So, was Geurra implying that the speed restrictions were intentional and meant to be an improvement? I sure hope not. Especially since the reports I've read have mentioned that the slow-crawl is accompanied by a demonic grinding noise.
This leads me to believe the restrictions are temporary, but then it also raises the question, why wasn't the rail replaced during the almost two-month shutdown?
And then from Willing's article, we see:
Now I'm even more confused, were speed restrictions added or removed? In either case, why are there reports of slower speeds after the return to service? Is he possibly referring to other segments of the line?
All I can say is, I really find it hard to be confident things will change. It always seems like, after a major issue, we're on the path to "reliable service" until something else breaks. Rinse and repeat. Perhaps the most troubling part of all of this is that Guerra admits some key maintenance activities are neglected because RTM apparently can't get to them during the regular nightly closures. Does anyone else not see that as a huge problem? Are we supposed to expect further two-month shutdowns as pending maintenance activities start piling up again? I guess we'll see.
|
Regarding speed restrictions, there were many prior to the August and September derailments (with many being lifted just prior to the September derailment).
I will list the ones that I can remember off the top of my head.
Westbound (Track 1)
- Between Blair Station and Cyrville Station - travelling at either 40 to 50 km/h instead of 80 or 90 km/h (compared to the eastbound direction on Track 2), though the odd train did got up to 80 or 90 km/h
- Between Cyrville and half-way between Cyrville Station and St. Laurent Station -- trains came to a crawl
- Between west of St. Laurent Station (just as the trains is about to exit the tunnel) and around the first crossover switch area prior to MSF tunnel -- trains came to a crawl
- Between Hurdman Station and Lees Station -- trains came to a crawl
- Between half-way between Lyon Station and Pimisi Station
Eastbound (Track 2)
- Between Pimisi Station and half-way between Pimisi Station and Lyon Station -- trains came to a crawl
- Between Lees Station and Hurdman Station -- trains came to a crawl
- Between half-way between St. Laurent Station and Cyrville Station and Cyrville Station -- trains came to a crawl and the trains would vibrate/shake when going through the curve as it was entering Cyrville Station