HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 9:47 PM
Space Magi

Astra activity this morning:

Source

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstar View Post
Ironweed, thanks for the Greek Orthodox update. Can everyone imagine how amazing 200 S between 200 W and 300 W is going to look with the huge block 67 second phase on one side of the street and the Greek Orthodox project on the other side of the street? With other projects just west of this location, 200 W is going to change dramatically.
Plus updates to the street itself that are coming next year.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 2:33 AM

200 South will look more urban not just on that block but from 300 W to 200 East with the CCH, Astra and the Regent St Hotel all fronting that street. Not to mention the smaller projects west of 300.

Also, I think Liberty sky needs a twin on its north side.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattreedah View Post
Plus updates to the street itself that are coming next year.
What updates?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
What updates?
200 South is getting a huge reconstruction from 400 West to 900 East. The main improvements are a bike lane, improved bus stops, more pedestrian crossings, curb bulb-outs, and more landscaping.

Unfortunately it's not a fully protected bike lane, but it does bring the bike lane behind the bus stops, which I think is very cool.

https://www.slc.gov/mystreet/2020/03/27/200south/

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 1:56 PM

Wow. That is looking good. Now, if they could do that to West Temple and State Street then we are looking much, much, better.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Wow. That is looking good. Now, if they could do that to West Temple and State Street then we are looking much, much, better.
The Life on State project is in various stages of implementation. I believe they are beginning with a section between 900 S and 600 S if memory serves me correctly. But that’s a state road, so you know that’ll take forever to complete. But, I agree, State Street as a boulevard rather than just a highway would do wonders for downtown, and even further south. (https://www.lifeonstate.com/)

I wold assume that West Temple will get some needed attention down the line soon here with the street repair funds that voters approved a few years ago.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 4:47 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMoneySLC View Post
The Life on State project is in various stages of implementation. I believe they are beginning with a section between 900 S and 600 S if memory serves me correctly. But that’s a state road, so you know that’ll take forever to complete. But, I agree, State Street as a boulevard rather than just a highway would do wonders for downtown, and even further south. (https://www.lifeonstate.com/)

I wold assume that West Temple will get some needed attention down the line soon here with the street repair funds that voters approved a few years ago.
That interactive map of State between 600 S and 800 S makes it look really good. Hope they can get on it quickly.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 7:06 PM

I believe that Life on State project was originally planned for this summer but for some reason was delayed to next year.

Frankly I think they could do much better than 3 blocks, but hey, something is better than nothing I guess.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 7:16 PM

Astra Tower

I noticed today that a truckload of steel beams was on-site at the Astra construction site which begs a question.

Does anyone on this forum know if the Astra tower will be built with structural steel or concrete?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 9:27 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

A little bit off-topic but this forum desperately needs to be updated. It actually needed to be updated five years ago, or more. It still doesn’t support mobile devices which accounts for most web browsing nowadays. :/

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 9:31 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
A little bit off-topic but this forum desperately needs to be updated. It actually needed to be updated five years ago, or more. It still doesn’t support mobile devices which accounts for most web browsing nowadays. :/
I get on this site all the time on my iPhone. It's not exactly "mobile friendly," but it works fine.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
I believe that Life on State project was originally planned for this summer but for some reason was delayed to next year.

Frankly I think they could do much better than 3 blocks, but hey, something is better than nothing I guess.
They need this all the way up to South Temple. State Street in downtown is a pedestrian hostile environment. They need large mid-street planters and generous mid-block crossings, and narrowing of the streets from 3 lanes & parallel parking to 2 lanes and parallel parking.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 11:29 PM

Update on the South Temple apartments: Submitting 100% CD (construction documents) tomorrow so assuming developing will begin in the next month or so?

Also, there were a lot of workers on the 148 S 500 E (might not be the actual address) site, looks like that project is moving quickly.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 12:07 AM
Verticle

So, without underground parking, Astra will go vertical quickly then when it commences...or am i missing something?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 12:34 AM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Any chance we will see updated plans/renderings before construction? My guess (without checking) is that they can build most of it without a design review.

Are they still going to try to build a bridge across 300 W? That would probably require some extra work/approvals but would be super cool.
Atlas,

My contact is part of the church committee. Let me see if i can come up with something.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 1:30 AM

Quote:
They need this all the way up to South Temple. State Street in downtown is a pedestrian hostile environment. They need large mid-street planters and generous mid-block crossings, and narrowing of the streets from 3 lanes & parallel parking to 2 lanes and parallel parking.
Yeah, State Street through downtown is ridiculous. Every time I cross it on foot it feels so formidable.

I wish that Salt Lake City could find a way to buy the portion of SR 186 between 400 South and Beck Street from UDOT. (SR 186 turns north from 400 South at State Street, then continues north around the Capitol onto Victory Road until it connects to Beck Street.) As long as UDOT owns that, nothing substantial is going to get done. I'm actually shocked that UDOT even agreed to the Life on State project. I can't think of any other substantial project on a UDOT road to improve accessibility for anything that's not cars since TRAX was built on 400 South (and even then, a lot of concessions were made to cars).

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allh View Post
Update on the South Temple apartments: Submitting 100% CD (construction documents) tomorrow so assuming developing will begin in the next month or so?

Also, there were a lot of workers on the 148 S 500 E (might not be the actual address) site, looks like that project is moving quickly.
What South Temple apartments?

And is the 148 S 500 E the Lotus apartments?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 6:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Yeah, State Street through downtown is ridiculous. Every time I cross it on foot it feels so formidable.

I wish that Salt Lake City could find a way to buy the portion of SR 186 between 400 South and Beck Street from UDOT. (SR 186 turns north from 400 South at State Street, then continues north around the Capitol onto Victory Road until it connects to Beck Street.) As long as UDOT owns that, nothing substantial is going to get done. I'm actually shocked that UDOT even agreed to the Life on State project. I can't think of any other substantial project on a UDOT road to improve accessibility for anything that's not cars since TRAX was built on 400 South (and even then, a lot of concessions were made to cars).
Is this actually possible/something that happens? UDOT is responsible for so many awful roads. It's insane how out of touch they are allowed to be

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 7:48 AM
Exit 298

It's great to have high-speed highways in rural areas. Perhaps even in car-centric suburbs.

But having high-speed highways in the central business district is deeply irresponsible. That's what I-15 and I-80 are for.

(I wouldn't call UDOT roads "horrible" but rather "misplaced").

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West