HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidberko View Post
From a skyscraper nerd's standpoint though, I'm loving Austin right now
Bingo. Lived in Austin since ‘83.

I always saw myself moving to a proper city. Instead the city came to me.

Austin is my first love, and will be my last love. So grateful this city exceeded my expectations. My wife and I see ourselves retiring in a condo downtown spending all of our kids college money on beer.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
I was going to say that on the other hand, San Antonio has the second worst skyline behind Phoenix for a city it's size!
SA has nice street level density, but pre-Frost tower I'd have to agree that PHX/SA/ORL were tied for worst big city skylines lol.

Fingers crossed that after Weston finishes this new residential tower, it gets the attention of other developers and spurs some more high rise development downtown lol.

There's always nice looking proposals here but for whatever reason they fade into the abyss.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 11:03 PM
Austinite

Austin and San Antonio complement each other so well. A little something for everyone.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
Bingo. Lived in Austin since ‘83.

I always saw myself moving to a proper city. Instead the city came to me.

Austin is my first love, and will be my last love. So grateful this city exceeded my expectations. My wife and I see ourselves retiring in a condo downtown spending all of our kids college money on beer.
That's awesome you've been priveliged to see 40+ years of changes to a once sleepy college town/state capital. Spoiled! Plus I'm sure you bought a home while they were cheap and can sell for a small fortune and get that condo downtown! Well done. Austin might be getting pricier according to Texas standards but it's still decent. It's not out of reach for many still. Just gotta plan and make your moves. No need to live in the Indy or something and spend $3k+ a month on rent. Still plenty of alternatives to experience a boomtown like Austin and be near the urban core. I really like what's going on with the east side. That area used to be so industrial. I haven't lived in Austin long at all, just a few years and even in that short time I'm stunned by the city's growth. And I lived near Chicago for ten years. Talk about a proper city!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Oh not triggered at all. I lived in SA for probably 5 years. That's awesome you're a native! I think most people who have spent any amount of time in both cities will conclude similarly. Such a gosh darn charming city, San Antonio. They're both wonderful places in their own way. From a skyscraper nerd's standpoint though, I'm loving Austin right now
I am right here with ya!

I really hope 415 compliments Austonian....I know back in the day there were talks about an actual twin Austonian in the old children's museum site (correct me if I'm wrong?). I'd love to see two frosty lit crowns around the same height.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post

I'd love to see two frosty lit crowns around the same height.
Same! That's every austinite urbanist's wet dream LOL. That, and a frost tower twin. So much frost. Free frosties for everyone on this board

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 12:55 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Same! That's every austinite urbanist's wet dream LOL. That, and a frost tower twin. So much frost. Free frosties for everyone on this board
Frost twin would be excellent but add 200 to 300 more feet to it.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 8:00 PM

A right of way closure permit was filed today for "internal demolition" of the site. The dates haven't been added to the permit as of this post.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...rtyrsn=2018844

The project is apparently financed and ready to go once approved. But the density bonus is not recommended by Staff at today's DC meeting. Missing retail/public space was the reason.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The project is apparently financed and ready to go once approved. But the density bonus is not recommended by Staff at today's DC meeting. Missing retail/public space was the reason.
Adds up.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 11:54 PM

Well, not enough DC members showed up for the meeting yesterday. So we get to wait another month.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 12:00 AM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Well, not enough DC members showed up for the meeting yesterday. So we get to wait another month.
WTF? One thing COVID has provided is no excuse for missing a meeting. One can join by ZOOM if you can't make it in-person!

Out of curiosity, what was the excuse given for not meeting a quorum? Can they be fined, suspended or excused from their role for missing?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
WTF? One thing COVID has provided is no excuse for missing a meeting. One can join by ZOOM if you can't make it in-person!

Out of curiosity, what was the excuse given for not meeting a quorum? Can they be fined, suspended or excused from their role for missing?
Based on what I have seen over the years, there are no consequences for missing meetings and not having quorums for the HLC, DC, etc. The meetings are only once per month, so it doesn't seem like it's too hard to schedule a quorum.

IMO, if a commission doesn't have a quorum, the developer should just proceed with City Admin approval. That's what happens when the DC doesn't end up giving approval for the density bonus. That has happened with 405 Colorado and other projects.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 2:41 PM
World Traveler

Yeah there definitely needs to be some accountability for roles that can essentially decide go/no-go on projects, or at least significantly impact them in one way or another.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 8:28 PM

Dates for the right of way closure for internal demo of the buildings were added to one of the permits - 11/08 through 11/29.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2021, 10:55 AM
Meh

So, we've been going with 640 feet. They posted the backup files for the design commission recently, and the elevations show it at 633 feet with 47 floors. One thing I did notice is that two other files say 668 feet in the text section.

"The total building height is 668’-0” (47 floors)."

https://www.austintexas.gov/citycler...tings/22_1.htm

Old Posted Nov 13, 2021, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
So, we've been going with 640 feet. They posted the backup files for the design commission recently, and the elevations show it at 633 feet with 47 floors. One thing I did notice is that two other files say 668 feet in the text section.

"The total building height is 668’-0” (47 floors)."

https://www.austintexas.gov/citycler...tings/22_1.htm
Yeah, this is another project where accurate height info is still a work in progress. The rescheduled Design Commission meeting for this project is Monday (11/15). It's going to get sent back to the drawing board to create some more public benefits.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2021, 4:03 PM

Quote:
And for those who have been wondering about retail space...it won't have any outside of patio seeding for street vendors/food trucks.

The decision to have such a large residential lounge/lobby area on the ground floor is perplexing, especially given there's a pool deck floor w/ likely its own lounge/clubhouse area.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2021, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chundercracker View Post
The decision to have such a large residential lounge/lobby area on the ground floor is perplexing, especially given there's a pool deck floor w/ likely its own lounge/clubhouse area.
This one was not recommended as planned by the DC for lack of retail. IMO they could move the transformer vault below grade and get rid of the residential lounge. That would create 2 retail spaces and likely get approval.

It also states 668’ as the building height.
http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=371483

Old Posted Nov 17, 2021, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chundercracker View Post
Yeah, from my own experience in a high rise condo, I can say that basically no one uses or cares about "lounge space" in a lobby area. Essentially, everything above and to the left of the "trash" room could be used for something else, and no residents would bat an eye.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2021, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvATX View Post
This one was not recommended as planned by the DC for lack of retail. IMO they could move the transformer vault below grade and get rid of the residential lounge. That would create 2 retail spaces and likely get approval.

It also states 668’ as the building height.
http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=371483
Austin Energy would not allow the transformer vault to be moved, but I agree, the lounges are a waste of space and would allow for a decent sized restaurant or retail space on the corner.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin