HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4201  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 12:13 AM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 26,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah89 View Post
To a degree. But I'm not really buying that totally as even upper crust and well educated Toronto folks have the typical Canadian ''tell's'' in their speech. They may speak better than say a lower class person without much education but they still sound Canadian even in the mildest sense.

Kathleen has studied languages and has studied all the vowel and speech characteristics. I'm sure she knows what Canadian Raising is and is more than skilled at suppressing it during public speaking hence her quasi American accent. Even John Tory displays a Canadian Accent.

The thing about the Canadian accent is you literally have to live out of Canada or study linguistics (which she has) to even be aware of it. 90% of anglo Canadians don't even know they speak differently than ''The Americans on TV''.
I’m not sure of your point. One would normally expect a Canadian to speak with a Canadian accent, no?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4202  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 12:26 AM
Sarah89 Sarah89 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I’m not sure of your point. One would normally expect a Canadian to speak with a Canadian accent, no?
Yes. But the one's who speak with the American ''tone'' and have completely absent Canadian Raising are suspicious to me. In this case it's almost always because they got accent reduction. Listen to how most Canadian celebrities speak versus how they spoke when they lived in Canada - a total contrast.

You know how hard it is to hide a Canadian accent, you said so earlier in this thread years back. It's far from an easy undertaking and takes lots of mindfulness and focus to get around those pesky vowels.

edit: Sorry it wasn't you, it was ''kool maudit'' who said he suppressed his accent while living in the states.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4203  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 1:01 AM
urbandreamer's Avatar
urbandreamer urbandreamer is offline
recession proof
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,656
You do realize many Canadians have American ancestry? I do and thus do not sound like Doug Ford or people I went to school with in rural Ontario. My mother, although Canadian, was actually educated in a private American school followed by university in England. There's probably millions of English Canadians with a similar background.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4204  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 1:38 AM
Sarah89 Sarah89 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
You do realize many Canadians have American ancestry? I do and thus do not sound like Doug Ford or people I went to school with in rural Ontario. My mother, although Canadian, was actually educated in a private American school followed by university in England. There's probably millions of English Canadians with a similar background.
I never said most people sound like him. They don't. I'm referring to other features of the Canadian accent not common south of the border. Most Canadians with American ancestry or not will never be able to say ''about'' in a standard way. I know it 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 but that's what we got to work with.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4205  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 11:58 AM
north 42's Avatar
north 42 north 42 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Windsor, Ontario/Colchester, Ontario
Posts: 5,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah89 View Post
I never said most people sound like him. They don't. I'm referring to other features of the Canadian accent not common south of the border. Most Canadians with American ancestry or not will never be able to say ''about'' in a standard way. I know it 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 but that's what we got to work with.
It doesn’t 🞵🞵🞵🞵, it’s how we speak. I have no problem with that.
__________________
Windsor Ontario, Canada's southern most city!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4206  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 2:10 PM
jonny24 jonny24 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Caledonia, often in Hamilton and Norfolk
Posts: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
It doesn’t 🞵🞵🞵🞵, it’s how we speak. I have no problem with that.
Hear hear.

Own it, don't suppress it or be ashamed of others with it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4207  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 2:22 PM
thewave46 thewave46 is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah89 View Post
I never said most people sound like him. They don't. I'm referring to other features of the Canadian accent not common south of the border. Most Canadians with American ancestry or not will never be able to say ''about'' in a standard way. I know it 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 but that's what we got to work with.
Weird, because in my travels I've often been confused for an American. This includes travels to the United States of America, no less. I've chatted with a Kiwi who deals professionally with people from the US and Canada and he struggles to distinguish between the two unless there's some sort of regionalism (Southern drawl, Newfoundlander, French-Canadian) that provides a marker to distinguish between them

Second point: Who cares? Other than you, obviously. The accent isn't that bad in the great scheme of English-speaking accents IMO. It says more about one's insecurities than anything.

Hate the Canadian accent? Try RP for a bit and enjoy the haughty superior accent. As if anyone really cares. In my experience, the relative lack of pretentiousness about this topic in most of the English-speaking world is actually kind of nice.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4208  
Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 12:26 AM
rousseau's Avatar
rousseau rousseau is offline
Registered Drug User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 8,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
You do realize many Canadians have American ancestry? I do and thus do not sound like Doug Ford or people I went to school with in rural Ontario. My mother, although Canadian, was actually educated in a private American school followed by university in England. There's probably millions of English Canadians with a similar background.
Ancestry doesn't matter when it comes to accents, especially if you're talking two or more generations ago. Your schoolmates determine how your accent will sound.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4209  
Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 12:27 AM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Ancestry doesn't matter when it comes to accents, especially if you're talking two or more generations ago.
You obviously haven't been to Cape Breton (or Newfoundland).
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4210  
Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 12:29 AM
rousseau's Avatar
rousseau rousseau is offline
Registered Drug User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 8,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah89 View Post
I never said most people sound like him. They don't. I'm referring to other features of the Canadian accent not common south of the border. Most Canadians with American ancestry or not will never be able to say ''about'' in a standard way. I know it 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 but that's what we got to work with.
Crikey. I'm the first to admit to how goofy Canadians can sound, but even I have a limit to my self-loathing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4211  
Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 12:31 AM
rousseau's Avatar
rousseau rousseau is offline
Registered Drug User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 8,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
You obviously haven't been to Cape Breton (or Newfoundland).
No, I haven't. Still though, the kids of immigrants to those places sound like they've grown up in those places. Because, well...they have.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4212  
Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 12:42 AM
Architype's Avatar
Architype Architype is offline
♒︎ verified human
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 🍁 Canada
Posts: 14,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
You obviously haven't been to Cape Breton (or Newfoundland).
Those accents carry the heavy influences of the mother countries. I sense this occurs in other parts of Canada with various national backgrounds too to some degree. I think the accent doesn't matter that much as long as the speech is clear and intelligible. The most bothersome characteristic is what I call "lazy English", where little effort is put into diction and enunciation.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4213  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 11:20 AM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
This weekend I noticed this appearing on large billboards in the Montreal area. They used the pink version of the ribbon though.

https://www.redbubble.com/i/greeting-car...ing-disease-by-headpossum/32549970.5MT14
__________________
Gone... but never forgotten.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4214  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 4:41 AM
Loco101's Avatar
Loco101 Loco101 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Timmins, Northern Ontario
Posts: 9,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This weekend I noticed this appearing on large billboards in the Montreal area. They used the pink version of the ribbon though.

https://www.redbubble.com/i/greeting-car...ing-disease-by-headpossum/32549970.5MT14
I see them on some pickup trucks and cars here.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4215  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 1:04 PM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 26,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
I see them on some pickup trucks and cars here.
I've seen it on cars as well. Pretty tacky, but so are the times ....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4216  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 1:34 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
I see them on some pickup trucks and cars here.
So I have I. Just found it a bit shocking as someone reared in Anglo-Canada to see something that clearly looks like the word 🞵🞵🞵🞵 on large billboards owned by Pattison, CBS or some other conglomerate.
__________________
Gone... but never forgotten.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4217  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 1:49 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
"🞵🞵🞵🞵" barely counts as a swear anymore. It has little shock value. The real swears now are epithets aimed at someone's identity whether it's racial, 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵, cognitive, etc. Those are the things not said in polite company.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4218  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 1:50 PM
JHikka's Avatar
JHikka JHikka is offline
ハルウララ
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
"🞵🞵🞵🞵" barely counts as a swear anymore. It has little shock value. The real swears now are epithets aimed at someone's identity whether it's racial, 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵, cognitive, etc. Those are the things not said in polite company.
Yes sir. The entire crux of this recent political ad in New Jersey is taking pride in swearing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4219  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 1:52 PM
big T's Avatar
big T big T is offline
Give us a kiss
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: mtl
Posts: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
So I have I. Just found it a bit shocking as someone reared in Anglo-Canada to see something that clearly looks like the word 🞵🞵🞵🞵 on large billboards owned by Pattison, CBS or some other conglomerate.
I saw those as well, the campaign is by a suburban restaurant chain who appear to have been cultivating a sort of low-brow pseudo tough guy and gal image so I suppose it’s par for the course for them (and their clientele). Although I have not been, I have to confess I imagine the place full of overweight bros and she-bros with tacky tattoos who drove there in their oversized pickup trucks to gorge on bacon-infused everything.

This said I am ok with it being on display, I’d rather they be allowed to broadcast how classless they are than have a heavy government-run censorship apparatus waste time and money on these idiots.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4220  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 3:05 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
🞵🞵🞵🞵 isn't really a swear word in Quebec public society anyway.

Though I'd disagree that it's lost most of its shock value in more anglophone circles.
__________________
Gone... but never forgotten.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:53 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.