HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 18, 2021, 10:04 PM
Verticle

Ill admit. Miami has become very Dubai-esque with the design of its skyscrapers lately...and most are 100% pre-sold before construction even begins. We have a new skyscraper going up (60 floors?) Where you drive into the elevator and it takes you IN YOUR CAR to your floor, and you park your car in your private garage. Unreal.

I live in the West Palm Beach metro. I love this city. Its growing fast as well, but the area is spectacular.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2021, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
Why on earth are they painting the Walker Center Parking Garage black?

It looks like HELL!!!!
I'm (hoping) it's the base for a mural. If it's just going to be solid black, blech.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2021, 12:17 AM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
Yeah, I’m not buying that. The building didn’t go from a 28 floor building to a 3 floor building. It was also not ever going to be 377 foot tall tower either.

They went from a 28 floor to a 25 floor tower - likely from about 310 feet (as Atlas suggests) to the 277 feet that has been filed.

This could have been because of a myriad of reasons (costs of steel, the fact that they are building a hotel during a down market, etc), but hardly anything remotely like ‘Comrade’s Rule’
It was a bit of an exaggerated joke, Blah. However, it is usually very accurate that proposed/designed high rises in SLC end up shorter when built. Sometimes dramatically.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2021, 11:53 PM

I have noticed that projects in Salt Lake usually do get scaled back by the time they are built. Some recent examples - 95 S. State was originally planed to be the city's new tallest structure at 28 stories. Then it got cut to 26 stories then to it's final height at 25. The CCH, in it's original plan was also supposed to be the tallest building in Utah with a conceptual 39 stories. Then when the final site was selected, it got cut to 30 stories, then to 28 stories and now is supposed to be 26. I hope that the Astra Tower doesn't get scaled back like this.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Snob View Post
Ill admit. Miami has become very Dubai-esque with the design of its skyscrapers lately...and most are 100% pre-sold before construction even begins. We have a new skyscraper going up (60 floors?) Where you drive into the elevator and it takes you IN YOUR CAR to your floor, and you park your car in your private garage. Unreal.

I live in the West Palm Beach metro. I love this city. Its growing fast as well, but the area is spectacular.
All that growth in southern Florida only to be under water in the future. I was in the Miami area a few months ago. It's a very impressive city, but I'm not sure I would choose to invest in property for the long term given how things are looking environmentally speaking. Maybe they'll be able to reimagine it as a floating city at some distant time.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstar View Post
I have noticed that projects in Salt Lake usually do get scaled back by the time they are built. Some recent examples - 95 S. State was originally planed to be the city's new tallest structure at 28 stories. Then it got cut to 26 stories then to it's final height at 25. The CCH, in it's original plan was also supposed to be the tallest building in Utah with a conceptual 39 stories. Then when the final site was selected, it got cut to 30 stories, then to 28 stories and now is supposed to be 26. I hope that the Astra Tower doesn't get scaled back like this.
Just a couple of updates here:

95 South State was originally only 19 stories. It was raised to 25 stories after 111 South Main was completed. The speed of 111 S Main filling up spurred 95 South State ahead of its original plan and increased the overall size.

CCH as originally planned by the current development group was only going to be around 370 feet. The plan was to fit within the D1/D4 Overlay Zone of 375' max height. The height was reduced due to wanting to keep all parking for the CCH below grade. This allowed for a larger ballroom and additional meeting space. Additionally, this reduced parking also helped to spur the County to work with The Ritchie Group to include additional parking in Phase 2 of The West Quarter (Block 67). It is my understanding that all 3 towers will go up at once now rather than the Residential and Hotel happening first and the Commercial (375') happening later.

We have had a few projects that have gone through revisions and ended up with more height than originally planned. Peirpoint Apartments, 95 West (CCC), and The Regent (CCC not originally planned) all come to mind. Sure, we lost height on the Cascade but the increase in density from The Regent and the increase in height for 95 W make up for a lot of this.

I do think that SLC is primarily over the hump with regards to height reductions during the initial phases of the projects.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 3:50 PM
Space Magi

From the "Downtowns are back" thread in the City Discussions subforum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
Downtown Salt Lake City

--------------------------------- 2020 ------ 2010 ------ 2000 ------ 1990 ------ Growth -------- Area -------- Density

Downtown --------------------- 17,633 ----- 11,669 ------ 9,374 ------ 7,637 ------ 51.1% --- 24.5% --- 22.7% ------- 7.0 km² ---- 2,517.2 inh./km²

Salt Lake City MSA -------- 1,257,936 -- 1,087,873 ---- 939,122 ---- 752,557 ------ 15.6% --- 15.8% --- 24.8% -- 19.902 km²

Salt Lake City CSA -------- 2,701,129 -- 2,271,696 -- 1,846,252 -- 1,435,855 ------ 18.9% --- 23.0% --- 28.6% -- 60.496 km²

Salt Lake City is the textbook boomtown and we don't usually associate them with urban living, but still, its Downtown is growing very fast, showing how strong is this trend in the US.

The MSA, as the other Texan metro areas, with no signs of slowing down despite being already big. It's very well discussed, but still very impressive nevertheless.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 4:46 PM

They unveiled the art for the new Trax station on 600 so & Main.

More info here: https://saltlakearts.org/2021/08/30/...-the-crossing/

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC PopPunk View Post
They unveiled the art for the new Trax station on 600 so & Main.

More info here: https://saltlakearts.org/2021/08/30/...-the-crossing/
This is so many orders of magnitude better than the whale.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 4:13 AM

Alta Terra - Commercial Building Permits

Alta Terra North
https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=
Address: 1121 E Ashton Ave

Alta Terra South
https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=
Address: 1132 E Ashton Ave

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 7:47 PM

Convexity Tower

Have any of you forumers heard why the Convexity tower has been delayed?

Is it a labor or material shortage? Financing Issues?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 8:53 PM
Verticle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
From the "Downtowns are back" thread in the City Discussions subforum:

With the CCH and West Quarter Development, pretty soon photographers are going to need a bigger wide angle lens to get this downtown shot.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
Have any of you forumers heard why the Convexity tower has been delayed?

Is it a labor or material shortage? Financing Issues?
I've reached out to a representative within the company. If I hear back I'll let ya'll know.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 5:46 PM

Astro Tower site

Just noticed this morning, heavy equipment is on the Astra site.

Just wondering if excavation might be about to begin?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 7:07 PM

I drove by, and there was a backhoe, and a couple trucks. Looks like they were either doing some survey work or they were putting stakes in the ground for further digging. My guess is that they are investigating the area close to the existing building on the north side of the property.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 7:23 PM

I’m so eager for more activity! Dying to hear about more groundbreakings soon. So many projects that I expected to break ground this year and haven’t yet. Which are the next one or two we can expect? And when?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 7:34 PM

Prices on lumber have dropped significantly and we're seeing a lot of movement on those projects involving lumber as their primary material. However, I wouldn't expect a lot of progress yet on those projects involving steel, especially highrises unless their orders had already been locked in and paid for. The price of steel right now is very high. Also, even if the order of steel had already been secured, the supply chain is experiencing a variety of major interruptions and delays.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Prices on lumber have dropped significantly and we're seeing a lot of movement on those projects involving lumber as their primary material. However, I wouldn't expect a lot of progress yet on those projects involving steel, especially highrises unless their orders had already been locked in and paid for. The price of steel right now is very high. Also, even if the order of steel had already been secured, the supply chain is experiencing a variety of major interruptions and delays.
It will be interesting to see how the China Evergrande group situation impacts the price of material goods going forward. It might take a little bit for everything to shake out but if it’s as bad as it looks there will be some big projects put on hold, freeing up some materials hopefully. Supply chain issues will persist though

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
It will be interesting to see how the China Evergrande group situation impacts the price of material goods going forward. It might take a little bit for everything to shake out but if it’s as bad as it looks there will be some big projects put on hold, freeing up some materials hopefully. Supply chain issues will persist though
I think this may be the opposite. Evergrande has stated they won't default on their payment, which has helped the markets to rebound.

The main issue is that they have purchased a lot of building materials for projects in China and around the world. If they have continued issues, they will need to sell the materials at cost or at a discount.

Because they are so big, the amount of materials that could come on the market may help many more projects pencil out where they may not have previously.

Overall, I think that this situation is showing the overextending that was done in and by China to compete more directly with the United States. Investments into and out of China will be higher risk but this will shift to more stable investments such as those within the United States and Western Europe.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 11:00 PM

An observation as I drove through downtown today, is that our towers really are short. Too short. 95 state was underwhelmingly too short coming up on State Street. We definitely need some 500 footers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West