HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 8:24 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodpitts View Post
I did some digging, because I was curious about what was replacing the never-opened PBS as well. The liquor license is registered under ARIZONA ANTHEM, LLC which is under FLAGSHIP, LLC in Nebraska which belongs to Flagship Restaurant Group.

The CEO of FRG, Nick Hogan, moved to Phoenix earlier this year. One of the restaurants under FRG is called Anthem, which most likely will be what's opening in the former PBS building (since it's registered under ARIZONA ANTHEM, LLC). This restaurant/pub opening was confirmed in an interview which can be found here. He also mentioned that one of their other businesses, Ghost Donkey (a mezcal-focused cocktail bar), will also be opening up later this year in Phoenix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodpitts View Post
I did some digging, because I was curious about what was replacing the never-opened PBS as well. The liquor license is registered under ARIZONA ANTHEM, LLC which is under FLAGSHIP, LLC in Nebraska which belongs to Flagship Restaurant Group.

The CEO of FRG, Nick Hogan, moved to Phoenix earlier this year. One of the restaurants under FRG is called Anthem, which most likely will be what's opening in the former PBS building (since it's registered under ARIZONA ANTHEM, LLC). This restaurant/pub opening was confirmed in an interview which can be found here. He also mentioned that one of their other businesses, Ghost Donkey (a mezcal-focused cocktail bar), will also be opening up later this year in Phoenix.
So, banners are up on the former Punch bowl Social building and it looks like there will be 3 venues coming and the bowling lanes will be staying!

Here's what is coming:

The first on the list will be a Ghost Donkey as stated above which is a tequila and mezcal bar with locations in Vegas, Denver, Auckland and NYC:
http://ghostdonkeyphx.com/

The second is Palma which I can't seem to anything except an italian restaurant in NYC and Palma Kitchen and Tap in Queen Creek and neither share the same logo, so I don't think it will be either of these. If anyone knows what Palma is, please post:
https://www.palmaphx.com/

The third is Champang Lanes:
http://www.champanglanes.com/

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 3:25 AM

Loving this trend of multiple businesses occupying single buildings.

The Knipe House also announced that a coffee shop will open in the ground floor and the upstairs will be a cocktail bar.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 7:42 PM
Modulator

And like clockwork, I think the local media picked up from this forum.

Information on what's coming to the former Punch Bowl Social:
https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...ar/8353049002/

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
And like clockwork, I think the local media picked up from this forum.

Information on what's coming to the former Punch Bowl Social:
https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...ar/8353049002/
AZcentral has been using us for years! There is some local reporter thats made his career getting development scoops on our forum lol!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2021, 4:36 PM

Morning Walk - 9/19

I went for a long walk this morning and snapped a whole bunch of pictures of downtown. Enjoy!
Carcara at the Sheraton
It looks like the opening has been delayed until January 2022. Not much to see from the street, except for tons of citrus trees!

Signage up at former Punch Bowl Social

Old Posted Sep 19, 2021, 7:23 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespiandave View Post
Carcara at the Sheraton
It looks like the opening has been delayed until January 2022.
What a bummer. The previous restaurant, District, closed before the pandemic. That means the Sheraton will be without a restaurant for at least two years.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 6:02 PM

12 new restaurants and bars to try soon in downtown Phoenix

Looks like Huss Brewing (Convention Center) and PedalHaus (MonOrchid) are both set to open next month! Also, looks like 2 more new concepts coming to the Knipe House. Didn't realize it was finally sold.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...st/5828604001/
Quote:
Sottise Sound Room and Off The Record
Phoenix food fans might know chef TJ Culp from the Melrose District's Restaurant Progress. But now he and his business partner Esther Noh are bringing their talents to downtown Phoenix. The duo have bought the historic Knipe House on Second Street, built in 1909, and plan to convert it into two new concepts. Sottise Sound Room, a French-style bistro, will occupy the ground floor. Off The Record, an upscale cocktail bar, will move in upstairs. Both locations are set to open before the end of 2021.

Details: 1025 N. Second Street, Phoenix.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 11:57 AM

Skyhill Rooftop Lounge at the Westin in Tempe is now open 7 days a week.

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/rest...tempe-12218336

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 3:31 PM

New restaurant coming to Renaissance Square https://www.wrenandwolf.com/

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativePHX View Post
New restaurant coming to Renaissance Square https://www.wrenandwolf.com/
Is this going in where that one, what was it a Spanish restaurant? opened for like 4 days.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 10:23 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
Is this going in where that one, what was it a Spanish restaurant? opened for like 4 days.
I think it was a cross between Mexican and Lebanese food. It sounded intriguing, but I think it actually closed before it opened.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
Yep - same exact footprint. Hopefully they use the decor as it was quite nice and unused.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 5:31 PM

By Corina Vanek - Reporter, Phoenix Business Journal

The founders of downtown Phoenix's Chico Malo restaurant have created a new hospitality brand and are taking over a large downtown restaurant space that has been vacant for more than a year.

Teddy Myers, one of the founders of the new hospitality group, Pretty Decent Concepts, said when Condesa, the former restaurant in the ground floor of the Renaissance Square office building failed after less than a month , it made sense for the building's ownership to partner with a group that had a track record of a successful restaurant in downtown.

“Opening a restaurant in downtown is not the same as opening one in Scottsdale,” he said.

Myers and his partners, Katie Myers and Thor Nguyen, brought on Jesus Figueroa - who has previously worked at Tarbell's, Café Monarch and Renata's Hearth - as head chef for the new restaurant, called Wren & Wolf. The group has been working on the concept since October 2020, about 10 months after Condesa closed.

“This will be like four restaurants in one, that is how I am envisioning it,” Figueroa said. “For breakfast, we will have items that are as quick as possible for people to get on their way to work. For lunch, we will make it possible for people to get in and out within the hour, but for dinner it will be a whole different style of dining, something sexy, masculine, comforting but also a little different. "

Figueroa said the restaurant is working on sourcing the best ingredients from local suppliers and is working with a local butcher to create a special grind of meat for burgers. Wren & Wolf will also have an emphasis on small plates and snacks.

Libby Lingua and Mitch Lyons, who both formerly worked at UnderTow, will lead the cocktail side of things.

Teddy and Katie Myers had worked with Nguyen before, when he worked as general manager of Bad Boy at CityScape.

The space, which is over 10,000 square feet on the corner of Washington Street and First Avenue, is being designed by Peter Bowden of Petermax, who also designed Bad Boy's Phoenix and Florida locations.

"In my opinion, this is the most ambitious project, on the restaurant side, in downtown Phoenix," Myers said. The previous restaurant design was kind of "cavernous," he said, and the new design has been created to feel more intimate and intentional. A lot of taxidermy has been added to the space, which Myers said keeps with the theme. Eventually, the group plans to add a patio for dining, but Myers said they will wait until light rail construction has completed right outside the restaurant .

Wren & Wolf will operate as a sister restaurant to Chico Malo, but they have two different groups of investors and operate under two different hospitality concepts.

For now, Myers said, the goal of Pretty Decent Concepts is to make Wren & Wolf a “huge success,” and once that happens, they will look to grow to more concepts. He said he would love to open another couple of restaurants within a mile or so radius.

Wren & Wolf is on track to open the week after Thanksgiving.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2021, 12:43 PM
self-important urbanista

Nanaya Coming Downtown

I walked by the Hilton Garden Inn yesterday and saw a pending liquor license sign on the window of the space formerly occupied by Nook. The applicant is Nanaya, which is a Japanese restaurant at 36th St. & Indian School that has been getting good reviews. The menu has a lot of unique cooked dishes and thankfully doesn't rely on gloppy cream-cheesed-filled rolls of every kind. It will be good to see this space occupied after two years.

https://www.nanayajapanesekitchen.com/

Old Posted Nov 6, 2021, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I walked by the Hilton Garden Inn yesterday and saw a pending liquor license sign on the window of the space formerly occupied by Nook. The applicant is Nanaya, which is a Japanese restaurant at 36th St. & Indian School that has been getting good reviews. The menu has a lot of unique cooked dishes and thankfully doesn't rely on gloppy cream-cheesed-filled rolls of every kind. It will be good to see this space occupied after two years.

I would really like to see stuff fill in at the Garden in, Renaissance, that former Burger place at central and Adams etc., former Downtown Deli, and the old subway.

There is pretty steady foot traffic especially evenings and weekends all over downtown now which should bode well for more restaurants and retail all over downtown.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2021, 12:00 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I would really like to see stuff fill in at the Garden in, Renaissance, that former Burger place at central and Adams etc., former Downtown Deli, and the old subway.

There is pretty steady foot traffic especially evenings and weekends all over downtown now which should bode well for more restaurants and retail all over downtown.
Unfortunately, the old Subway space is being used for storage by Cornish Pasty Company, which seems to have taken over the block, and not in a good way. They've got their restaurant, which looks really nice, but they're using multiple adjacent storefronts for storage and food prep. The problem is that those spaces are really cluttered and unattractive, and CPC won't even put blinds on the windows. Also, a lot of their employees take smoke breaks on the street instead of in the alley, creating a toxic cloud for pedestrians. I love CPC for the food, craft beer, and atmosphere, but they're not being a good neighbor on Monroe Street right now.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2021, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, the old Subway space is being used for storage by Cornish Pasty Company, which seems to have taken over the block, and not in a good way. They've got their restaurant, which looks really nice, but they're using multiple adjacent storefronts for storage and food prep. The problem is that those spaces are really cluttered and unattractive, and CPC won't even put blinds on the windows. Also, a lot of their employees take smoke breaks on the street instead of in the alley, creating a toxic cloud for pedestrians. I love CPC for the food, craft beer, and atmosphere, but they're not being a good neighbor on Monroe Street right now.
Agree - its extremely unsightly. Trashy.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 11:20 PM

Quote:

Thanks for posting this. I clicked the link and read the menu. I can tell I'm going to love this place and will become a regular.

This may also be just what I need to entice my wife to the rooftop bar for drinks after dinner too.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2021, 8:39 PM

A place called Milk & Honey Market is going in at Roosevelt and Third next to Jobot, better than whatever that company was in that spot as its retail/food

Also Sake and PedalHause appear to be nearly open with Hiring signs out front.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2021, 7:40 AM
Skyriser

There's a Milk and Honey in West 6th in Tempe.

Good to have a couple locally-owned bodegas filling the gaps between the Circle Ks. Sign of a true urban neighborhood.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest