HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive


One Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

• Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

• Map Location
• Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3121  
Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 6:16 PM
Randomguy34's Avatar
Randomguy34 Randomguy34 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chicago & Philly
Posts: 2,791
I'm obsessed.
     
     
  #3122  
Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 3:27 PM
HomrQT's Avatar
HomrQT HomrQT is offline
All-American City Boy
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Hinsdale / Uptown, Chicago
Posts: 1,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Aug 19




The massing from certain angles reminds me of the Cathedral of Learning which I love.
     
     
  #3123  
Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 4:03 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is online now
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 30,527
^ and as the cathedral of learning demonstrates, One Chicago's massing would've been helped if the top most section soared a little higher. It's a bit stubby at the top by comparison.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Aug 28, 2021 at 4:32 PM.
     
     
  #3124  
Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 4:23 PM
HomrQT's Avatar
HomrQT HomrQT is offline
All-American City Boy
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Hinsdale / Uptown, Chicago
Posts: 1,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ and as the cathedral of learning demonstrates,
One Chicago's massing would've been helped if the top most section soared a little higher. It's a bit stubby at the top by comparison.
Absolutely.
     
     
  #3125  
Old Posted Aug 29, 2021, 3:00 PM
chris08876's Avatar
chris08876 chris08876 is offline
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Great State of NJ
Posts: 49,407

Credit: Alex Beck
     
     
  #3126  
Old Posted Aug 29, 2021, 11:55 PM
glowrock's Avatar
glowrock glowrock is offline
Becoming Chicago-fied!
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chicago (West Avondale)
Posts: 19,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post


The massing from certain angles reminds me of the Cathedral of Learning which I love.
Holy —, you're not kidding about the resemblance! Surprised I didn't notice it before, especially since I had an amazing view of the Cathedral of Learning from my place in Pittsburgh a number of years ago!

Aaron (Glowrock)
     
     
  #3127  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2021, 3:38 AM
chris08876's Avatar
chris08876 chris08876 is offline
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Great State of NJ
Posts: 49,407
     
     
  #3128  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2021, 2:05 PM
Randomguy34's Avatar
Randomguy34 Randomguy34 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chicago & Philly
Posts: 2,791
     
     
  #3129  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2021, 2:37 PM
gebs's Avatar
gebs gebs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: South Loop
Posts: 810
I had yet to see the tower from this vantage point, but I was surprised by how tall it looks here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTM-bfWLG2l/
     
     
  #3130  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 12:19 AM
Halsted & Villagio Halsted & Villagio is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Hyde Park
Posts: 257
^ Angle, distance and vantage point of the photo might just have a wee lil bit to do with your impression.......
     
     
  #3131  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 1:07 AM
Hudson11's Avatar
Hudson11 Hudson11 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,175
I find myself really appreciating this tower from some angles but despising it from others. Seems like something Chicago has nailed down recently. Or maybe Goettsch to be specific. Plus Vista. But One Bennett, NEMA and Essex I do like. Keep the steady stream of skyscrapers coming, Chi-town, and maybe throw in another supertall.
     
     
  #3132  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 2:28 AM
Chicago_Forever's Avatar
Chicago_Forever Chicago_Forever is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chi-River North
Posts: 421
^ Funny you should say that but I don't think it's a recent phenomenon. The main reason I prefer the Hancock over Sears is because I despise the Sears from the north and south although I love it from the west and east. Also, while I love viewing NENA from north and south, I can't stand it from the west and east. I think One Chicago is great from every angle though, especially from the west and east.

Oh, the St. Regis is also jacked up from the south.
     
     
  #3133  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 1:40 PM
r18tdi's Avatar
r18tdi r18tdi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Forever View Post
I think One Chicago is great from every angle though, especially from the west and east.
I think the north facade is the weakest, especially from the lakefront (the appearance from North Ave beach is really poor).
     
     
  #3134  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 2:03 PM
Mikelacey45's Avatar
Mikelacey45 Mikelacey45 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
I think the north facade is the weakest, especially from the lakefront (the appearance from North Ave beach is really poor).
I believe you’re feeling alone in this
     
     
  #3135  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 2:10 PM
pianowizard pianowizard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SE Michigan, US
Posts: 1,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Holy —, you're not kidding about the resemblance!
There is also some resemblance to Houston's Williams (Transco) Tower. Photo from Wikipedia:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/28/Williamstower.jpg/250px-Williamstower.jpg

Last edited by Tom In Chicago; Sep 1, 2021 at 8:54 PM. Reason: Please use hyperlinks for off topic images
     
     
  #3136  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 3:08 PM
kingkirbythe....'s Avatar
kingkirbythe.... kingkirbythe.... is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
There is also some resemblance to Houston's Williams (Transco) Tower. Photo from Wikipedia:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/28/Williamstower.jpg/250px-Williamstower.jpg
So beautiful.

Last edited by Tom In Chicago; Sep 1, 2021 at 8:55 PM. Reason: Please use hyperlinks for off topic images
     
     
  #3137  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 3:29 PM
Bombardier Bombardier is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 470
Absolutely massive crane being set up on State Street right now to remove the tower crane. Any photographers in the area???
     
     
  #3138  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 9:01 PM
r18tdi's Avatar
r18tdi r18tdi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelacey45 View Post
I believe you’re feeling alone in this
From North Ave it reads as just a plain-looking rectangle barely clearing the roof of the Waldorf Astoria. I absolutely love this building, but that vantage point is weak. Check it out for yourself.
     
     
  #3139  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 9:08 PM
gebs's Avatar
gebs gebs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: South Loop
Posts: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Here you go; judge for yourselves.
     
     
  #3140  
Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 4:52 AM
rivernorthlurker rivernorthlurker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
Here you go; judge for yourselves.
The N/S view is actually my preferred side from street level. Here's a photo I posted a lil while back. Looks completely different and like a modern skinny. I'll agree though from a distance like the photo above the N/S view is much less dramatic than the W/E.

I have some finished ones from south on State I'll post later.

     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:41 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.